cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/23/2020 4:24 pm  #1

Wildlife

Wildlife are a fact of life, they are around us even in cities. Sometimes we swoon, or marvel, sometimes we curse them.
As aggravating as this is you can't really blame the tortoise...

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

10/23/2020 4:45 pm  #2

Re: Wildlife

LOL

I Love my country, I fear the government.

10/23/2020 5:24 pm  #3

I've been a listener of this podcast for a while.
https://www.thewildpodcast.com/
I enjoy the guys attitude and his passion for bears. There is a wolf episode which kinda gives you hope for humanity.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

10/26/2020 9:30 pm  #4

Why on earth did they capture this in the first place?

They're kind of bony...

10/27/2020 3:46 pm  #5

I think that is mostly cartilage, not bone.
Still not eaten much, but of course it has something used in Chinese medicine.  In this case it is demand for a  part of their gills that is putting stress on their numbers.  

10/28/2020 9:15 pm  #6

So there had been an occasional rustle coming from the eaves. I thought it was birds in the gutter outside. My wife thought it was a mouse in the eaves. So she got me to set several mouse traps. I also set a big rat snap trap. I was skeptical. That was a week ago.

This morning at 6am we woke to a loud snapping sound and a small animal dragging a trap around in the eaves in our bedroom. We've got lots of suitcases and stuff stored in there, and it was banging its way all around our stuff in the eaves with a snap trap attached to it. Then I heard two more loud snaps as it spasmed into other traps I set.

Not what you want to hear. I was hoping for a loud snap and then silence.

We listened to it drag itself around in the eaves and then it dropped down into one of the joist cavities and started dragging itself across the living room ceiling and across the ceiling in my daughter's bedroom.

I figured it would die in a day or two, and I just wanted to track where it was so I could cut a hole in the ceiling and retrieve the rotting body.

So I began my work day, sitting at the computer in my makeshift office, and just made a point of paying attention to where it was.

Then I heard it from the eaves in my office (my son's bedroom). I had been thinking about how to catch it, and decided a towel thrown over it would be the safest thing. Leather gloves, of course. I moved a shitload of my son's furniture out of the way so I could open the hatch of his eaves, and when I got the hatch cracked open slightly, I saw the flying squirrel just sitting there in my flashlight's beam with a plastic mouse trap clamped to its face. I wasn't suited up yet and didn't have a towel to throw over it, so I closed the hatch and got my stuff together.

I came back and opened the hatch, and the flying squirrel was gone.

So I turned back to my actual job and got a lot of work done. Eventually, in the late afternoon, I heard the squirrel again in the same eaves, so I quietly put on all my gear. I opened the hatch and saw it way at the back of the eaves where a tiny little passage about 4 inches wide leads to the wall behind the bathtub. I climbed into the dusty eaves, and crawled toward the squirrel. It was hung up between a stud and the bathroom vent duct, and was trying to back away from me, but the mouse trap was snagging on the stud.

I grabbed for it and pulled it toward me. In my movement doing that, I knocked the mousetrap clamped to its face right off. It was momentarily stunned, with my headlamp shining right into its night vision eyes, and I grabbed frantically for it with just my gloves on as it tried to start running away. I was able to grab it, and shove it into the towel. I kind of wadded the towel up around it and then backed slowly out of the eaves. Went downstairs, looking like a madman, and asked my daughter to drive me to the local woods, 6 blocks away, where I could release it from my tight grip.

So she did. And when I unfurled the towel to let it go, the dead flying squirrel dropped onto the ground. Apparently holding a squirrel in a death grip for a few minutes will actually kill it.

At least it will rot in the woods and not in my ceiling.

I just bought a real trap on Amazon, so if another one gets in, I can actually trap it in a way that it won't go dragging the trap around.

10/29/2020 2:57 am  #7

I hear they’re nice eaten with a side of collard greens.

Living life on the edge.

10/29/2020 4:13 am  #8

Diaphone Jim wrote:

I think that is mostly cartilage, not bone. 

Same thing when it comes to chewing.  LoL

11/05/2020 4:57 pm  #9

Limey wrote:

I hear they’re nice eaten with a side of collard greens.

Recipes were more common here a while back.

11/05/2020 5:20 pm  #10

I once had a herd of maybe 5 deer all piebald cross in front of me on a back road near home. Pan seared with black pepper.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/19/2020 10:00 pm  #11

Take your pick... 

12/20/2020 1:30 pm  #12

...with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

12/21/2020 1:11 am  #13

I'll handle the beans and wine, you bring the cat.

12/21/2020 1:28 pm  #14

Snow Leopard break dance!

12/21/2020 1:44 pm  #15

Diaphone Jim wrote:

Snow Leopard break dance!

Ready for the  Olympics.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

12/26/2020 9:29 pm  #16

Her cubs probably ate her legs off...

12/27/2020 2:31 pm  #17

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Her cubs probably ate her legs off...

...and I shall call her Nubbins...

12/30/2020 12:44 am  #18

1/03/2021 12:16 am  #19

All cats large and small are lazy...

1/08/2021 3:24 am  #20

Extremes...

1/08/2021 12:59 pm  #21

Baby Yoda?

1/10/2021 3:24 am  #22

I don't know what that Yoda is but the paws and claws tell me we won't be friends.

This gal is not only dangerous, she's prolific...

I just noticed prolific is pro - life -ic.  Those people are dangerous too.

1/11/2021 1:01 pm  #23

I think the Yoda thing is just an uglier than usual Chihuahua.

1/12/2021 1:07 am  #24

Nope, Chihuahuas don't have paws and claws like that bad boy.

1/31/2021 2:35 pm  #25

I've got my home office in the upstairs hallway, right under the attic and the attic vent on the end of the house, right under the ridge.

There is a determined squirrel in these parts that wants to get into our attic by chewing its way through the chicken wire that covers the inside of the slats that make up the vent.  At first, when I would hear it clawing and chewing away at the vent, I would yell and bang on the wall.  The chewing would stop, but then resume a few minutes later.  So then I advanced to getting out the garden hose and spraying the squirrel from the ground, 3 stories below.  Even on the high powered stream setting, the water barely made it up there, and the squirrel would look at me and scamper away.

So then I got out the step ladder to climb the hatch into the attic.  My plan was to spray it with brake cleaner from inside the vent it was trying to access, but every time I tried to climb quietly into the attic, the squirrel would hear me coming and just hop up onto the roof and get away before I could get anywhere near it.

So it's time for drastic measures....
upload your image free

Board footera