cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/20/2022 2:36 pm  #1

Hey, Murricans! What is the American generic term for ...

plumbers, electricians, carpenters, carpetlayers etc. In the UK we'd call 'em "tradesmen". Does that work for you too?
Help a translator out here, plz x

Living life on the edge.

4/20/2022 3:44 pm  #2

Re: Hey, Murricans! What is the American generic term for ...

If you said tradesmen, we would know what you are talking about, but I think we might say "craftsman" first.
I hear "working in the trades" more than I hear "tradesman."  It just sounds a little funny.
"Contractor" is also a big one, although that usually means someone who hires other craftsmen as well as doing work on their own.

Or maybe "blue collar workers." might be used.  But that encompasses factory workers more.

4/20/2022 4:05 pm  #3

For a translation, contractor works, but in practice I'd always say the kind of worker they are.

4/20/2022 5:08 pm  #4

Thanks folks x

Living life on the edge.

4/21/2022 2:42 pm  #5

Home Depot refers to them as "pros" or "contractors" and they get their own entrance and cash registers.  

4/22/2022 3:55 am  #6

Around here we say that all those folks (except the carpet layers) "work construction", or "work in construction".  Carpet layers "do floors".

Otherwise they're just plumbers, electricians, & carpenters.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

4/22/2022 3:27 pm  #7

If someone was in construction I might say they are "in the trades" .. I don't know if I've ever said "tradesmen"

If someone is doing residential repair/remodel work "in a trade" I would call them a contractor, notwithstanding whatever legal/contractual specificity that implies

And then there's the unlicensed "contractor" and that's called a handyman.

If you're working in a trade within an organization, that might be "plant operations" or "engineering" or "facilities"

Last edited by Flint (4/22/2022 3:28 pm)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

4/22/2022 4:45 pm  #8

hey, 'merkins.. following on from that, do all y'all ever use the term "tradesman's entrance"?

(  )

((with continuing gratitude to UT for the smilies ))

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

4/23/2022 3:48 am  #9

"tradesman's entrance," huh?  Is that a euphemism?

4/23/2022 4:04 pm  #10

the, uh tradesman's entrance
that is, around back .?

4/23/2022 5:23 pm  #11

A tradesman should never call at the front door of a residence.

and, why yes, yes I believe it might be

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

4/24/2022 4:30 am  #12

it's important to use good manners, of course

4/25/2022 3:50 pm  #13

Sorry I'm late.
As a person who has worked in the trades and with tradesmen for a long time, albeit off and on, You will hear people in the trades say that they are "in the trades" Individually and generally they are called "tradesmen" unless their particular trade is referred to, "He's a plumber." Unskilled tradesmen are usually referred to as "Laborers" and that can include anyone in any trade who is doing the shitty grunt work.

I've heard people say "the building trade" but I'm not sure what other trade they are excluding by the distinction.
Contractor generally means the person who is coordinating all the sub-contractors and trades on behalf of the client.

The term here is "Service Entrance" and "Service Elevator" and that includes pretty much everyone and everything who isn't a resident or guest; tradesmen, furniture being moved in or out...

Last edited by footfootfoot (4/25/2022 3:51 pm)

Hey! That's me up there!

4/25/2022 3:54 pm  #14

glatt wrote:

Home Depot refers to them as "pros" or "contractors" and they get their own entrance and cash registers.  

Life pro tip: You can use the pro's entrance and register. You can even check out at the service desk most of the time. It's just theater to make "pros" feel like they are getting something special. Although very often the pro register is slower than the regular one when it comes your turn.

Hey! That's me up there!

4/25/2022 5:03 pm  #15

Last edited by tw (4/25/2022 5:05 pm)

4/29/2022 10:27 pm  #16

footfootfoot wrote:

glatt wrote:

Life pro tip: You can use the pro's entrance and register. You can even check out at the service desk most of the time. It's just theater to make "pros" feel like they are getting something special. Although very often the pro register is slower than the regular one when it comes your turn.

In addition to your own entrance and cashier another perk is buy shit in the morning with a company check and bring a couple pieces back in the afternoon for a cash refund. Home Depot and Lowes.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera