cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/24/2022 5:36 am  #1

My domestic appliances have got it in for me.

First off, the kettle decided to pack it in.
The water around here is supplied from boreholes deep in a chalk aquifer and kettles don't last five minutes.
However, I always have a spare held in a state of constant readiness so supplies of tea were maintained for the duration of the emergency.

Then it was the turn of the toaster to quietly expire.
Bought a new one a few days later but am still struggling with the settings.
I just can't seem to get it to stump up toast of the required consistency.

Then the washing machine expired.
To be fair, the writing was on the wall.
About eighteen months ago I noticed that a program would be almost finished and the machine would reset itself back to the 1hr 44m mark.
I became used to intercepting proceedings at that point then manually selecting 'drain' then 'rinse and spin'.
Presumably it would have been doomed to haunt 'Cottons-40C' for all eternity had I not intervened.
On other programs it would get to the 1 minute to go mark and just carry on ad infinitum.
Anyway, at the beginning of last week it finally decided that enough was enough and it quietly departed. It never did anything else quietly.
A new machine was delivered on Friday and the suppliers took the old one away for £25.
As it was of German manufacture I suppose that a Wagnerian send off might have been appropriate.

Which reminds me, my Bayreuth correspondent tells me that a number of operas set in a launderette have been discovered in the Wagner archive.
They will be collectively known as the Rinse Cycle.

Last edited by Carruthers (4/24/2022 5:57 am)

4/24/2022 6:58 am  #2

Re: My domestic appliances have got it in for me.

Ouchie bro.
;)

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/24/2022 7:46 am  #3

did you tell jokes to the appliances?

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

4/29/2022 10:35 pm  #4

Carruthers wrote:

Then the washing machine expired.
About eighteen months ago I noticed that a program would be almost finished and the machine would reset itself back to the 1hr 44m mark. 

An hour and 44 minutes? What are you washing that takes that long?

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

4/30/2022 3:39 am  #5

An hour and 44 minutes? What are you washing that takes that long?

Cottons at 40c.
The program duration was 2hr 30m and was the one I always used for sheets, towels, etc.
On reflection it might have been a bit of overkill on my part.
I'm experimenting with shorter programs using less energy and water with this new machine.
As I type there is a load of shirts (there's always a load of shirts) about half way through an hour long wash at 40c.
I await results but the sun is shining and there's a drying breeze so that will save some electricity.
Could I ask for more on a Saturday morning?

4/30/2022 9:10 am  #6

Domesticated Appliances Go Feral.
More news at 10:00

Hey! That's me up there!

5/01/2022 8:31 am  #7

footfootfoot wrote:

Domesticated Appliances Go Feral.

Does that means covered in furry dust balls due to lack of use?

Board footera