cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/29/2023 10:50 am  #51

Re: We need to talk about guns

You just never know. I live near a major city where stories make the news when off-duty cops and conceal-carry license holders thwart an armed carjacking, robbery; or, attempted murder. Then there's the possibility of the perp's weapon malfunctioning allowing time for escape as was reported in the Maine shooting. There's also the chance that the perp decides they've spent enough time in one location and moves on. Still others have survived at times by playing dead after being non-fatally shot.

You can fight the good fight; or, be a sheep going to slaughter and make the perp's day. It's up to you. 

10/30/2023 6:46 am  #52

It's real easy to insult people around this topic so I'll try not to. There is a big maybe unacknowledged difference in perception between carriers and non-carriers. I assume carriers think of themselves as safe and potentially useful in bad situations. As a non-carrier, who grew up with and owns firearms, I think of carriers as generally unsafe and likely escalators of bad situations. When I spot them in public, I note a potential problem not a potential solution. The rhetoric of the right is useful in selling more weapons to the fearful and keeping people in line but isn't at all oriented to solving problems. Watching our civilization seemingly deciding whether to continue on or fall into the dust, it strikes me that people continuing to prepare only for the failure appear to be creating the conditions for only that.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

10/30/2023 6:47 pm  #53

griff wrote:

...I think of carriers as generally unsafe and likely escalators of bad situations. When I spot them in public, I note a potential problem not a potential solution....

[thread drift] What a coincidence! That's how I think of other drivers, as reflex road rage exacerbators of bad situations. When crossing that path on the road, I anticipate potential problems... not potential solutions. Defensive driving courses gave me tools to stay safe anyway. I attended my first one in 1977. Knowledge is power. [/thread drift] 

10/31/2023 5:44 am  #54

I think we're talking about the same dude.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

10/31/2023 11:08 am  #55

griff: I like your characterization of carriers and noncarriers.
I have the "carrier" response (reaction?) when I am around law enforcement types and there are more than just cops. 
I feel an anxiety just short of a fear that they have the capacity to wreak havoc beyond my ability to trust or to stop them. 

2/07/2024 3:10 am  #56

Well good news, you can be safer than ever with multiple barrels of 12 gage...
A shorty for under your trench coat, a 3 barrel to be unique, or a silencer so not to disturb the next classroom.

Who could resist a double barrel pump to brag about 16 shots of 12 gage protection from baddies.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

2/11/2024 6:58 pm  #57

I'm waiting for a 12 gauge, triple barrel shorty, pump action shotgun with triple sound suppressors for a capacity of 24 rounds. 

Of course, if I were hunting the Sora and Virginia Rail gamebirds in Michigan, where the daily bag limit is 25, it would leave me 1 round short. Still. I could probably get a couple dozen in one shouldering since I wouldn't have to reload and the sound suppressors would keep the noise from scattering the rest of them after the first shot.

I'd have to check the rules on how many shells can be loaded in the firearm at one time. That might have to be changed.

Board footera