cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/24/2020 3:03 pm  #1

Foulness

Could be an unpleasant subject, but I had an interesting morning reading about Foulness Island starting with the traditional way of access:

Then I was blocked from linking.

10/24/2020 3:04 pm  #2

Re: Foulness

A second post might give me linking privileges

10/24/2020 3:06 pm  #3

10/24/2020 3:10 pm  #4

OK, I am not a robot only need 9 more of those.
The second link is:
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foulness_IslandNow I can't shake the link mode]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foulness_Island

Now I can't shake the link mode[/url]

10/24/2020 3:18 pm  #5

Isn't this fun!  I'm down here because it wanted italics.
Anyhow, the Foul is from Fowl for the lots of birds.  The first article didn't mention them I don't think.
The second article doesn't mention the artillery practice, I don't think.
The rescue effort after the big flood was stupendous and successful.  We are going need lots of those,
coming up.
I hope this post works.

10/25/2020 6:55 am  #6

Thanks for posting, Jim.

I didn't know much about Foulness Island other than it was once proposed as the site of an international airport serving London and SE England and that huge numbers of birds overwinter and breed there including the Red Knot. A recipe for disaster if there ever was one.

The MoD holds on to huge tracts of land which are often grossly under utilised but it seems that the site, known as MoD Shoeburyness, is pretty active.

I did a quick search to see what information there was about rescues from the mud, tides, etc, and found this from July this year.

Foulness Island: Man and woman trapped for hours with live ammunition and rising tides

A dramatic rescue operation was launched after a man and woman became trapped on an island close to live ammunition - and with a rapidly rising tide.The pair managed to enter the restricted zone of Foulness Island, surrounded by warning signs from the Ministry of Defence (MOD), on Saturday night.
The man fell down a steep bank at just before 9pm and the couple became trapped in the mud, close to an area of live weaponry.

The police, Southend coastguard and military base launched a four-hour operation to save them.The only way the pair could be recovered was from either air or by hovercraft.it took four hours to complete the rescue mission, with the casualties pulled onto the RNLI hovercraft before being taken back to the slipway next to the coastguard station.
One of the RNLI crew members, who is also a paramedic, was able to assess the man for his injuries at the scene.A spokesman for HM Coastguard Southend said the couple's details were taken by Essex Police for "onward investigation".

MoD Shoeburyness

About eight miles SW of Foulness on the other side of the Thames Estuary, just off the North coast of Kent, lies the wreck of the SS Richard Montgomery.
The vessel sank in 1944 and still has munitions containing 1400 tonnes of TNT on board.
The risk of explosion is said to be remote but the wreck and weapons on board are becoming increasingly unstable with the passage of time.
One estimate I read recently, suggested that in the event of an explosion the nearby town of Sheerness would suffer similar damage to that which struck the port of Beirut some weeks ago.
The masts of the ship are visible at all times and have been known to attract the occasional paddle border for a photo opportunity.

Fears grow that WW2 wreck could explode on Kent coast

Wikipedia

Last edited by Carruthers (10/25/2020 12:41 pm)

Board footera