cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/27/2022 4:39 am  #1

Alabama Approach to Climate Change

I lied, it's Lousiana...
Or maybe this guy wanted to get the family in shape with a third floor walkup.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (5/27/2022 4:41 am)

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

5/27/2022 7:11 am  #2

Re: Alabama Approach to Climate Change

Maybe there is diagonal bracing I cant see, but I would be terrified to enter that house.  It looks like if you sneezed, it would fall over.  Are those stacked cinder blocks making up those pillars?

5/27/2022 12:39 pm  #3

I agree: sea level maybe, hurricane no.
Trying to think of the process of doing that comes up empty.
A little bit at a time might explain the time frame. 

5/27/2022 3:44 pm  #4

This pic looks more like cast concrete columns.  Well reinforced might be pretty sturdy.
Might want to post safe distance areas around drains.
 https://static01.nyt.com/images/2020/07/26/magazine/26mag-plaquemines-03/26mag-plaquemines-03-superJumbo.jpg

5/28/2022 10:09 am  #5

Should there also be an Ark somewhere nearby?

5/28/2022 11:07 am  #6

The best I can figure is that they built the stilts next to the house, then lifted the whole house with a bunch of forklifts, backhoes or cranes and moved it on top.
Other ideas?

Last edited by Diaphone Jim (5/28/2022 11:08 am)

5/28/2022 4:55 pm  #7

One friend had the house raise and move to the south.  Then built that foundation.  Then move the house north and built a foundation on the other side.  Then built a cascading deck to the back bay and docks.

I saw one in Ocean City that was twenty feet up.  They built a foundation by driving piles into sand.  Then  lowered it down onto that foundation.

Some foundations for seashore communities require driving long wooden poles deep in the sand.  Then reinforced concrete beams connect those poles to make a foundation for that  suspended house.

I asked on heavy machine contractor if he was getting into this new business.  He said, "My guys are all over 50.  That work is too hard."  He will rip down houses to make room for a McMansion.  That is easier.

5/28/2022 8:01 pm  #8

Is it 'suspended' if it's on top of the piles?[/shadesofcapsized]

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

5/28/2022 8:05 pm  #9

Perhaps it's just hovering.

Last edited by TheNeverWas (5/28/2022 8:05 pm)

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

5/29/2022 3:41 pm  #10

All we know is 9 years ago it was on the ground and now it's not, but don't know when this was done or what the guy was thinking. Certainly not a cheap solution.
Hey, maybe the owner is a concrete contractor and wrote this off as advertising.
Had to be a young guy, and older guy wouldn't do all those stairs several times a day... at least by choice.
And had to be a guy, a gal would have said fuck this, we're moving out of harm's way.

5/29/2022 7:44 pm  #11

TheNeverWas wrote:

Perhaps it's just hovering.

Star Wars.  I have seen the future and it is now!

6/01/2022 12:30 pm  #12

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Certainly not a cheap solution.

This is what I kept thinking.  The pillars/posts likely cost more than the house is worth. That's no Taj Mahal.  Nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't look like it costs much, other than the foundation.

6/01/2022 3:38 pm  #13

I am guessing maybe $10,000 for that much concrete.

However, I am not convniced it is concrete.  Many will use cinder blocks with rebar and cement inside.

Last edited by tw (6/01/2022 3:40 pm)

6/09/2022 11:50 am  #14

The picture I posted looks like cement blocks but at Jim's link it's concrete columns.

Board footera