cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/15/2022 9:57 pm  #1

Is walking across hot coals on your "Bucket List"?

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

6/16/2022 4:40 am  #2

Re: Is walking across hot coals on your "Bucket List"?

I've always viewed team building exercises, motivational speakers etc with extreme scepticism.

Listen to a 'motivational speaker' and it's highly likely that you will emerge from captivity having bought a bridge or, at the very least, an industrial quantity of snake oil.

As for team building exercises, they seem to exist for the sole purpose of getting you to dislike your work colleagues even more than you did when you started.

Why are people taken in by this nonsense?

6/16/2022 6:13 am  #3

Anything to avoid a pay increase I guess. My current gig is run by "Christians" who see the thing as a mission, albeit a lucrative one. They want employees to see it the same way which is unlikely since the pay is not great. They made the mistake of having a "neutral party" speak with the group with ownership absent. It didn't go well. There have been a couple of passive aggressive emails from the top lately. I didn't think the neutral person was sworn silent. My main purpose for working there is keeping my hours under control which turns out to be in direct conflict with a recent mission adjustment. These are nice folks and they were well organized throughout the Covid ordeal but I can see they're likely losing staff in a decent job market.
All of which is to say, I'm not walking hot coals for them but I have reasonable loyalty.

Last edited by griff (6/16/2022 6:14 am)

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

6/16/2022 12:17 pm  #4

"Walking across a bed of hot coals, often known as fire-walking, is sometimes used in motivational courses and charity events."
That has to be the dumbest damn thing I ever heard of and now I wish I hadn't.
All I can think of is "And those guys' votes count the same as mine."

6/16/2022 12:31 pm  #5

Diaphone Jim wrote:

"Walking across a bed of hot coals, often known as fire-walking, is sometimes used in motivational courses and charity events."
That has to be the dumbest damn thing I ever heard of and now I wish I hadn't.
All I can think of is "And those guys' votes count the same as mine."

Worrying, isn't it?

6/16/2022 5:42 pm  #6

disturbing

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

6/17/2022 8:45 am  #7

Carruthers wrote:

It is taught in business schools.

6/17/2022 3:58 pm  #8

tw wrote:

Carruthers wrote:

It is taught in business schools.

85% of them

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

Board footera