cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/10/2022 2:03 pm  #176

Re: Dogs

What an ordeal.  You did good by him.

3/10/2022 6:08 pm  #177

Wow that was a rough one. I'm glad he's home.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/10/2022 7:27 pm  #178

3/10/2022 9:25 pm  #179

@fargon - just a scar and some odd shaved areas right now.
@glatt - I'm lucky I was in the position to be able to pay for it all.  I can't imagine what I would've done if I didn't.  The hospital requires a deposit of the lowest quoted amount for the procedure, so it was a lot up front.  Yay credit cards and 0% apr balance transfers
@griff - It was the scariest.  My brother sent me cupcakes on Monday after finding out he needed the second surgery.  TWO DOZEN CUPCAKES!!
@clod - I'm so happy the hospital let me see him every day.  At one the bigger of the other location, I probably wouldn't have been able to.  They really took care of him.

3/11/2022 7:36 am  #180

That was some strong cupcake mojo!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/11/2022 10:11 pm  #181

Wow, what a trip, I've been paying the vets for a friends 4 critters and I've a pretty good idea what that cost you.
Surgery is through the roof since a lot of folks got critter health insurance so they can charge more. Granted they were probably greatly underpaid before but most families can only part with so much for a pet.
When the vet was trying to tell me how much surgery on my dog would be, I said I don't care, fix him. Not rational but it's family.... everyone but tw would do the same.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

3/12/2022 1:20 pm  #182

@griff - he doesn't live in the state, so he texted me to asked if I wanted cupcakes.  I said No thanks and he responded: "Ooops. Hahaha".  I still have some in the freezer
@Bruce - the thing with pet insurance is that if you don't get it as a puppy, it won't cover anything.  I looked into it before I got them.  They'll claim everything is a pre-existing condition in adult dogs.  I'll be honest, I was on the lower end of the quote.  I feel like something was missed/left off.  I asked the last location he was at because there wasn't a charge for his last day and never got a response, so :shrug:

3/13/2022 11:37 pm  #183

Maybe they cut you some slack, or more likely he won their hearts. 

3/19/2022 10:15 pm  #184

@Bruce - apparently!  And he went home with a thundershirt and a soft cone - no charge for either.  He's doing great.  Off all the meds, so have to keep an eye out for his cough.  He's playing a lot more than he has in a LONG time, but I think it's because I moved some of the couch into another room, so there's more floor space.

After rolling on his back for a bit

How we woke up one morning

Bonus Tess pic

Bonus Tess over it pic (it was night time, getting ready to go to sleep on the couch)

3/20/2022 10:10 am  #185

A happy family. They have changed your life, everything you do involves them, every decision you make takes them into consideration. I'd say they've been a good influence, kept you grounded, and kept you from saving too much money. LoL

3/21/2022 6:15 am  #186

This guy went from acquaintance to friend this weekend. Meet Jack the neighbors dog up North. Mountain for scale.

Last edited by griff (3/21/2022 6:16 am)

3/21/2022 10:53 am  #187

Puppeh.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

3/21/2022 5:47 pm  #188

@griff - what a cutie!
@bruce - let's just say it's a good thing I started a job that pays more -_-

3/21/2022 7:34 pm  #189

The Griff family has a way with dogs. 

3/27/2022 12:20 pm  #190

I was talking to the vet when Max was there for a check up (everything is good) and we chatted about Tess and her wonky leg, but my inability to currently pay for surgery.  She suggested a doggy leg brace.  It came and we've been using it this weekend

I think it's helping.  I'm not sure Tess likes it, but it forces her to use her leg instead of picking it up and hop on three legs.  I'm hoping that means she won't lose as much muscle mass in this leg like she did the other one.

Also, this is what they look like when they're out in the yard for, like, an hour (ignore the mess)

3/28/2022 3:21 pm  #191

I had a Lab cross that got hit by a car at about a year old.
He went from three-leggedness to four legged limping to no limp and back again for 12 more years.
He was incredibly mobile and strong and very seldom gave any hint that he thought of himself as handicapped or uncomfortable.
I did get him four leather boots that he wore through one at a time on the affected corner.
Max, he was, fifty years ago.

4/03/2022 3:16 pm  #192

I had a Newfoundland/Border Collie mutt. He was huge, about 200 lbs, on a run his tracks would be 8 ft apart in the snow. Smart as a whip and very gentle too.
Comes home limping one day so off to the vet. Doc says he could operate but he'd have to be in a small cage to limit his movements for 4 to 6 months. Nope, couldn't do that to him, no way, I'd shoot him first.
So I take him down to visit the guy who arranged for me to get the dog. Bear gets out of the van hopping on three legs as usual. I'm talking to my buddy and look over to see the dog taking a leak. Then it registered, he was standing on the bad leg lifting the good leg. Guess I won't shoot him.

4/04/2022 12:19 pm  #193

That "four to six months" thing must have some big benefits to the vet.
An active terrier with a popped knee I had would have gone bat shit (me, too).
I skipped that and the $4K and she was good in two weeks, though prone to recurrence.

4/10/2022 4:57 pm  #194

I think his size/weight and the type surgery had much to do with it, when I heard months I kind of shut down so not sure of the conversation/explanations after that.

5/23/2022 12:19 pm  #195

I Love my country, I fear the government.

5/23/2022 7:28 pm  #196

That's a good dog.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

5/24/2022 6:32 am  #197

We need to be good enough humans to deserve dogs.

5/24/2022 7:43 am  #198

The best dog!

Some updates on my dogs:
Apparently leaning on Tess helps with thunder terror

Max "not looking at me eating"

Yes, we're here to help with your computer

5/24/2022 9:08 am  #199

That behind-the-head position is exactly where one of my dogs goes when she hears one of her triggers (a little shop bell or elevator ding--long story...) except she's small so she's actually sitting on my shoulders, and usually digging furiously into them with her claws.

5/24/2022 11:39 am  #200

griff wrote:

We need to be good enough humans to deserve dogs.

I'm not sure all of us can be that good.

And this comes from a cat person.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

Board footera