cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/11/2022 3:00 pm  #1

African Couture

It seems the African designers have been smoking the same thing women's clothing designers around the world have.
I really can't understand the designer catwalk shows, nobody will actually buy/wear those costumes(only word I could come up with) in the real world. Even celebrities at red carpet functions wouldn't wear most of it. So how do these designers make money, by selling their name on a label? Is there bragging rights to, "This dress I'm wearing was designed by the guy who put traffic cones on tits"? 

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

9/12/2022 9:43 am  #2

Re: African Couture

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

It seems the African designers have been smoking the same thing women's clothing designers around the world have.
I really can't understand the designer catwalk shows, nobody will actually buy/wear those costumes(only word I could come up with) in the real world.
Even celebrities at red carpet functions wouldn't wear most of it. So how do these designers make money, by selling their name on a label?
Is there bragging rights to, "This dress I'm wearing was designed by the guy who put traffic cones on tits"? 

Ah! A kindred spirit!
It's something that's always puzzled me as well.
Should you be fortunate enough to crack this puzzle, please will you let me know?

9/12/2022 11:53 am  #3

Don't they also have, like, futuristic and unrealistically expensive car design shows? And car manufacturers participate in them for the clout, the name recognition, etc., even though most of their customers are still going to buy standard off-the-floor models.

(Don't get me wrong, I think the fashion catwalks and the car shows are stupid, I'm just saying maybe the car shows make more sense to you and therefore you can kind of understand the catwalks?)

9/12/2022 12:38 pm  #4

These are walking design sketches, it appears to me. In a reference sketch you exaggerate the lines, angles, and proportions to define what is unique about the concept. "Production" designs can be adapted from the sketches that translated well to a living human form, like, "strong horizontal line cutting across mid-deltoid"

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

9/14/2022 7:53 pm  #5

Clodfobble

"Come, Let us reason together."

Oil on the water, walking a mile in my shoes, 

Friends, dwellars, countrymen.

Lend me your ears.

Let us give praise where praise is due, to the peacemakers, and Clodfobble is their Queen, and ours.

*prostrates*

Be Just And Fear Not

9/17/2022 3:36 pm  #6

When I first saw that--thing--in the car mags I felt about it the same way I do now.

It looks like the top third of a freshly plopped dog turd.

I don't care how big the screen is.  I don't care how many mpge's it gets.

Dog turd.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

9/17/2022 10:41 pm  #7

The fashion catwalks I'll never understand. Maybe because never attending one I'm not getting the big picture. I could be I only seeing pictures of the far out shit and they do actually show the designs they plan on making. 

The big auto shows the manufacturers show off their production cars as well as the concept cars. Those are showing possible lines and features that may be included in future models. Part of it is to get a yay/nay reaction from the public. I've seen bits and pieces like a windshield shape, or wheel opening design show up on production cars that had appeared on a concept. They also give the brass a chance to peruse proposed designs. Some years I got the feeling they threw something together because it was expected by tradition. Easy to do because they always have reams of design ideas.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera