cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/22/2022 4:59 pm  #1

Business

In the first couple years after WW II there was a situation not unfamiliar to us today.
There was a shortage of new cars and there was a pent up demand, plus the GIs coming home.
That drove used car prices up a lot. The dealers short on new cars and limited to how much they could mark them up were making their money on used cars. Some dealers wouldn't sell you a new car unless you traded an old car in.
The more a dealer gave you for your old car the less they made on it so the dealers colluded to keep the amount over "book" down.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

9/24/2022 11:52 pm  #2

Re: Business

Here's another found bit on Capitalist Broadcasting which I've summed up.
Back in the dark ages of the 1950s, over the air news wasn't expected to be profitable, just draw viewers who would hopefully stick around for the money making shows. It was a public service*  every broadcaster owed the nation for the privilege of using the public airwaves.
They were required to remain unbiased, offer equal time* to opposing points of view. Networks maintained news bureaus around the world, not to make money but because it was expected of them by the public and the government.
Journalistic standards* are pretty much kaput after the Kennedy assassination proved they could make money on news. As soon as they found out they can, they are obligated to, make money... that’s the first law of capitalism.
Long gone are the news bureaus, replaced by opinionators who don't have to know what they're talking about because they’re told what to say, their appeal is entirely emotional, and that stokes the ratings. Oh, and they're cheaper! Just a suit, chair and voice, although a straight face helps.
As a corporation beholden only to stockholders, you are obligated to follow precedent and tradition bribing Congress to tailor the laws and regulations for your benefit. Corporations are virtual "people" obligated by law to behave like sociopaths, always seeking what’s in it for me rather than what’s good for us, and excluding any other consideration.
But you say the airwaves are public property, they belong to we the people.  Aww isn’t that cute.
The airwaves belong to whoever has the money to rig the system to retain control.
It’s corruption...uh, er, um, I mean capitalism at its finest.

*How long since you’ve heard that?
This is a serious problem but if I treat it, along with the other problems, as if the sky is falling... I'll go nuts. 

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera