cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/15/2023 3:58 pm  #51

Re: Twitter "under new mgmt" (Elon Musk)

Undertoad wrote:

government uses private industry to control speech, literally fascism

nothing to see here

Nice to see we have a little diversity of opinion here. Like at the new Twitter.

Not all Joseph Stalin all the time. Or Mao.

Sometimes a comment is for my entertainment only, sometimes for supporting your thing. 

6/20/2023 6:23 pm  #52

You're probably right about the healthy revenue part--the ads in my Twitter feed increased tenfold in the last week or so. But as a daily Twitter user I'd have to disagree about it being healthy, happy, or awesome. It depends on who you follow, I guess. All the funny people have left. My feed just has so many fewer posts in general, and the ones that remain are mostly bitter political snark, despite the fact that I have actively avoided following people who post like that in general. I'm still there, obviously, so it must be working well enough... but I also just joined Bluesky, and the posting culture over there fucking rules. It's like the very early days of Weird Twitter. Everyone's just being friendly and funny. Mastodon never worked for me because it was nothing but techies being proud of their distributed platform superiority. Hive just didn't have the numbers. But I'm telling you right now, Bluesky is going to stick around.

6/21/2023 8:04 am  #53

They want my provider IP address, and I'm not doing that. LMK when they streamline their sign up procedure.
I'm interested.

Last edited by fargon (6/21/2023 8:05 am)

I Love my country, I fear the government.

6/21/2023 12:21 pm  #54

hEaLtHy rEvEnUe

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

6/22/2023 12:09 pm  #55

"the room is full of a bunch of assholes now, but take your headphones off and try smiling a little, they're being nice to you!"

6/22/2023 6:31 pm  #56

Undertoad wrote:

It depends on who you follow, I guess. All the funny people have left.

I get it. The people in your feed supported the Current Thing. The Current Thing was Elon Bad.

By definition, the Current Thing changes; but the people who support it don't. As a critical thinker, you may decide on the Thing independent of the mob. So there may be a time when you no longer support the Thing. But your community will.

Don't delete your Twitter account. The site is thriving. Tons of new features in six months.

Nah, the people in my feed wrote about things like "milkshake duck" and "moon's haunted." They didn't stop posting absurdist humor when Trump was the Current Thing. They stopped when people who paid for blue checks started getting pushed to the top of the comment feed--instead of the people you follow being given priority--and therefore had to wade through thousands of insults from people they didn't know before they could see what their actual friends said back to them.

No one is on Twitter for the features. They're on it for the community--either an actual community of friends, or the self-promotional community of their customers. It started dying before Elon, and he'll be gone before it's dead like MySpace is dead, but either way, I'll be on it for as long as people I like are on it. "People I like" is all I've ever gotten out of it, despite going through many, many Current Things over the years.

6/22/2023 8:02 pm  #57

Clodfobble wrote:

..when people who paid for blue checks started getting pushed to the top of the comment feed--instead of the people you follow being given priority--and therefore had to wade through thousands of insults from people they didn't know..

Yeah, he said there was hEaLtHy dEbAtE, sweetie, maybe get thicker skin? Aggressive bullies are the new intelligentsia, why are you being such a bitch about them helping you break free from the wOkE MiNd ViRuS.?

Last edited by Flint (6/22/2023 8:03 pm)

6/22/2023 8:39 pm  #58

The recent posts in this thread are why I hate ppl on social media.

And social media.

And ppl.

I wonder what TW thinks about all this...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

6/22/2023 11:31 pm  #59

I hate that phrase “thicker skin”. My first thought is always, “I wouldn’t need thicker skin if you weren’t such an asshole.”

6/23/2023 12:41 pm  #60

Pete Zicato wrote:

“I wouldn’t need thicker skin if you weren’t such an asshole.”

Correction: patriotic, free-thinking alpha male.

6/23/2023 1:54 pm  #61

Flint wrote:

Correction: patriotic, free-thinking alpha male.

Jeez I hope you’re being ironic.

6/23/2023 4:23 pm  #62

Irony?! You mean, "acts of disingenuous comedy intended to unsettle the common citizen's conception of decency, with intentional misrepresentation of our Holy Savior's fundamental truths" .??

6/30/2023 7:10 pm  #63

There is only one kind of thought, only one allowed opinion. There can be no decent, no disagreement no matter how mild. 

Litteraly on fire 

7/01/2023 1:30 pm  #64

No decent?  Didja mean dissent?

We can still use the smilies from the before times, so I guess 'Toad got so mad he went home and forgot his ball.  Old Cellar is still searchable, too.

Thanks for leaving us those, 'Toad.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

7/01/2023 4:46 pm  #65

Twitter is imploding. Interaction limits kicking people off after 30 minutes. I saw one credible theory that site is DDoS'ing itself. Another says they didn't want to pay their Google cloud services bill, and they're behind schedule on migrating off.

*higher limits if you paid the $8.00, but still throttled

Last edited by Flint (7/01/2023 4:49 pm)

7/02/2023 9:58 am  #66

I have bluesky invites if anyone here wants one.

7/02/2023 8:48 pm  #67

Wouldn't it be awkward for the Elon Fanboys if it turned out that a faux-centrist, right-wing billionaire bought the public square, then immediately flooded it with toxic content until it imploded, removing a major source of organization and information sharing for working class, non-billionaire Americans? But I'm sure it's not that, probably 4D chess

7/03/2023 7:39 am  #68

Clodfobble wrote:

What's your sense of how it'll be in the long run? I've been considering a severe social media diet because of how terrible I made facebook / reddit get during the Trump/Covid time. I want a place that will end up supporting community and humanity generally and keeps a positive vibe. I may be just web illiterate enough to make this impossible though.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

7/03/2023 12:51 pm  #69

I've got, like 185,000 comment Karma on Reddit but I'm taking a psychological beating. Its depressing to know what's going on in the world, I'd be better off playing Grand Theft Auto and exploding imaginary cop cars

7/03/2023 1:48 pm  #70

Forms and imageboards are the better side of the internet tbh . Social media has generally been a blight. Twitter and reddit are very ideologically  homogeneous thanks to the moderation, they die perhaps we can see a more decentralization.

Litteraly on fire 

7/03/2023 3:07 pm  #71

Reddit isn't one thing, the moderators are different on every board. I browse a custom feed with 99 communities. I'm not seeing "the same" stuff or dealing with "the same" moderators, it's wildly varied. There are rabidly right or left wing boards (where at least you know what you're getting) and then there are boards with millions of random people with no ideological similarities. I can post the same thing in two different boards and get 100 downvotes in one, and 100 upvotes in another. Or the same thing, same board, on two different days, two different samplings of random people.

7/03/2023 3:18 pm  #72

Pete Zicato wrote:

My first thought is always, “I wouldn’t need thicker skin if you agreed with me.”

FIFY

griff wrote:

I want a place that will end up supporting community and humanity generally and keeps a positive vibe.

Well somebody will have to find a way to keep politics, opinions, and people out of it.  So...

7/03/2023 3:29 pm  #73

TheNeverWas wrote:

Well somebody will have to find a way to keep politics, opinions, and people out of it.  So...

7/03/2023 3:32 pm  #74

Clodfobble wrote:

I got the impression it was strictly for phone apps access. 

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

7/03/2023 8:33 pm  #75

Flint wrote:

Reddit isn't one thing, the moderators are different on every board.

Yes and no. 
There are the power mods that control a lot of the subs, the admins have put their thumb on the scales, and the general user base does keep the hivemind intact. 

Litteraly on fire 

Board footera