cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/26/2023 5:59 am  #101

Re: Twitter "under new mgmt" (Elon Musk)

Anon wrote:

There are numerous articles online about Elon Musk wanting to use "X" as a brand name going back to his days at PayPal. There are even pictures of him and PayPal cofounder Peter Thiel holding corporate credit cards with a big "X" on them. Musk has for a long time said that he wants the "X" brand to represent multiple services under one roof and that he likes the letter "X" because it represents the unknown variable (as in an equation). I expect he's planning to diversify the old Twitter under the "X" brand and that there may be projects of both short and long market duration. It would allow him to make more use of his eye for opportunity.

Yeah, I think he wants to compete with meta in that. Social media is a shit-show in part because of scale and reach. They can create the illusion of community using groups with manipulating people  moving from art to science, as is often said, you are the product.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

7/26/2023 10:17 am  #102

7/26/2023 10:57 am  #103

griff wrote:

Yeah, I think he wants to compete with meta in that. Social media is a shit-show in part because of scale and reach.  

Compete with Facebook?  Or stake out a new market? Avoid competing with Facebook. A consistent and coherent strategy is not apparent.  His latest statements imply he wants to change Twitter into something that is nothing like the many Metas.  As if changing names (Twitter to X, Facebook to Meta, etc) does anything useful - other than make people feel top management is thinking.

Board footera