cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/29/2020 12:27 pm  #1

Agave? My Half-Century Plant

My 45 year old Agave sisalana/ Furcraea foetida is still in the process of growing its central stalk.
As of this morning, it is 12 feet, six inches and showing the beginnings of branches toward the top.
It has been near freezing the past few mornings with a little warming predicted.  The blooming and bulbil forming phase could last all winter, a causing a sure run-in with low 20's F.  I hope it will survive to accomplish this, though it is doomed to die at the end anyway.
It's offspring wouldn't survive around here in any case.
I just mastered posting photographs the old way and will wait a little longer to see what new process seems best with the new board.

10/29/2020 1:08 pm  #2

Re: Agave? My Half-Century Plant

click on the monkey!  :D  or host it anywhere online and link

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

11/10/2020 1:31 pm  #3

It looks like the end of the trail
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End_of_the_Trail_(sculpture)#/media/File:End_of_the_Trail_(Wisconsin)_September_2013_02.jpg

for my half-century plant.
After waiting 45 years, it chose to bloom too late this year to avoid record cold temperatures over the last three days with one more to come.
I built a 15 foot tent over it's stalk with 100 watt light bulb to stave off what I thought was going to be a frost event of about 32 degrees.  It went to 24 or 25 instead and by the time I added an electric heater at 4 AM, it had begun to droop like the above sculpture, with it's small array of yet-to-flower branches looking very dead.
I can't say it won't recover, but I am not expecting it.

11/10/2020 2:28 pm  #4

I'm sorry to hear it.

11/11/2020 1:01 am  #5

That's a drag, on the other hand you won't have to deal with the press and unwashed masses traipsing through your yard.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

11/11/2020 7:25 am  #6

Ah bummer.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/01/2021 7:51 am  #7

^^^Don't click that link!^^^  Unless you're in the market for a new dildo.

3/01/2021 10:14 am  #8

[Note: the post Grav is referring to has been deleted. Griff has not suddenly started spamming us with dildo ads.]

3/01/2021 3:41 pm  #9

Thanks for the clarification.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/02/2021 1:54 pm  #10

5/27/2021 11:31 am  #11

After the unseasonable hard freeze last fall,  we had a long winter of a tall, dead, surprisingly strong stalk in the big container in my front yard dominating the view..
All the dozens of big leaves slowly and stinkily collapsed and fell off.
I was waiting out the process of growing and dying that took so long and wondering when it would be time for the compost heap.
There was one small remaining band of green where the stalk joined the leaves that caught the eye and has now produced five or six little sprouts, looking like miniatures of the original.
I expected the famous bloom and die life cycle to be the end, but perhaps being done in by frost instead changed it.
I'm not sure I have another 45 years to nurture it, but my grandkids are on alert.
Maybe Grav will master the picture thing and pass it on to me.

5/27/2021 2:01 pm  #12

Diaphone Jim wrote:

Maybe Grav will master the picture thing and pass it on to me.

Hah!  That statement belongs in the Optimistic Or Nuts thread...

8/24/2021 11:52 am  #13

The little leaf sprouts have turned into five clusters of robust mini-plants with twenty or so six inch fronds arranged around the base of the dead fifteen foot stalk.
A month or so ago, three of these produced quarter-inch-in-diameter stalks.  One got broken, but the other two have gown to a foot or two and have produced a bunch of pendulous flower buds.
And the first of those bloomed Sunday.  It is about an inch in diameter.
Here is a link to what it looks like.  As you can see, it was never an agave at all:
 https://sydneylivingmuseums.com.au/plant-your-history/furcraea-foetida-mauritian-hemp

8/24/2021 6:40 pm  #14

That's very pretty!  Not many green flowers out there.  I regularly see asphodels in this area... can't think of another off the top of my head.

Be Just And Fear Not

Board footera