cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/23/2022 9:37 am  #1

Time for a Whine

Don't mind me, I'm just putting this here because sometimes things suck a little and you know other people have it worse so you don't want to make it a whole thing but also it's important to say it out loud because otherwise it stays trapped inside and this is very much an inside-my-own-head problem...

So I just turned 42 and apparently all the standard health deteriorations are hitting me like a ton of bricks. I mean they're not, they've been quietly building for years, but it feels like it's all hitting at once, and more importantly, it feels like they're hitting me unfairly. My thyroid is crapping out, which has been successfully dealt with via medication, but it interferes with my other medication so now I have to take them separately, which means pills three times a day. Woe is me. Worse, however, is the fact that I'm apparently borderline diabetic. This is surprising and frustrating given that, because of the kids, I've already been on a very low-carb diet for over a decade. Normally, this is the age when people say, "okay, time to act like an adult and start cooking healthy and eating shit like salmon and kale because I don't want to die," except I've already been doing that, I've been in healthy-cooking-hell for so long and I hate cooking and while I'm not exactly looking forward to being an empty-nester I was definitely telling myself that at least one silver lining was going to be that I could finally relax in the kitchen.

Instead, I get to go even harder in the kitchen, and still probably have to get on metformin in another couple of years anyway. And right now the whiny teenager inside me is saying "fuck it, just eat cookies and queso every day because there's no point in even trying," and that teenager has been winning since mid-November because I hate the holidays and my executive function's all tapped out. And then of course I feel worse because I ate bad things, and the doctor says "wow, your A1C actually got so much worse in such a short period of time" and I'm like, "yeah, because apparently my metabolism has been barely holding on this whole time and I had no idea." Anyway. Pass the salmon and kale, no I still don't want the rice, and also hold the mustard glaze now I guess.

12/23/2022 11:40 am  #2

Re: Time for a Whine

All that?

I feel ya, sincerely.

At 50 I went from mostly (perceived) healthy to "You are SO fucked.  In SO many ways."

I really hope ya come up with some way to stay off Metformin.  It might treat you ok, but most pplz it treats pretty rudely, as I understand it.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

12/23/2022 11:43 am  #3

On military entrance physical exams, there was long a classification of 4F. It meant an individual was unfit for military service due to physical, mental, moral, or character issues. For decades, physicians have adapted 4F to mean: A doctor's worst nightmare... Fat, Female, Flatulent and Forty.

It's when there's greatest potential for a double whammy. Not only are there physical anomalies that a younger self may have taken in stride, there's also this:

"Do Women Go Through a Midlife Crisis? Studies have shown that women are not immune to going through a midlife crisisand yet the experience is markedly different for a woman than for a man. A midlife crisis for a woman may occur anytime in midlife, with age 40 being the start of this developmental period."

Keep on doing what you've been doing. Treat yourself to exceptions (especially on special occasions and everything in moderation). Roll with the punches. Remember that you've already demonstrated the courage to accept the things you cannot change and successfully keep on keeping on.

Either that; or, scratch the seven-year itch! Differential diagnosis can be tricksy.

Mr. S.E. Xobon.

12/23/2022 4:30 pm  #4

I hear you Clod. I was blissfully unaware of aging and health consequences for a long time. Getting older isn't for chickenshits.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/23/2022 5:09 pm  #5

My trick is is that I just don't go to the doctor.

12/23/2022 5:10 pm  #6

No news is good news,

12/23/2022 5:14 pm  #7

SMRT

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/24/2022 12:36 am  #8

"I mean they're not, they've been quietly building for years, but it feels like it's all hitting at once, and more importantly, it feels like they're hitting me unfairly."

Totally there with you (10 years older, but yup). Different problems, but were they all hidden in a piñata or what?

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

12/25/2022 5:03 pm  #9

I’d been staying away from the doctor unless I needed something signed official like. I really liked the guy but... you know. I’d go to the chiropractor as he was a big help with my hands falling asleep(numb). Then my MD got Parkinson’s disease, brought in two MDs to help, then retired. The two MDs moved the office location, then closed, and sent me a letter saying my records were sent to PENN Medical in Valley Forge. WTF?

After about 5 years I felt I should have a doctor so made an appointment at PENN. They assigned me to a woman MD who used to be a nurse, I think is was Nurse Ratched. She gave me a complete physical.
She said she would leave the room while I got dressed, then come back in and enter the results in the computer.
Lady, you just fondled my balls and stuck your finger up my ass, do you really think I would mind you being here while I dressed?
Finally she said, “Well, you have it”, like I’m supposed to know. What? Diabetes. Oh.
3 weeks later I get a letter Doctor Ratched left PENN, and I was assigned to another MD.
But I digress...

The new doctor was cool, down to earth, and I took this seriously. I attended the classes on checking blood sugar, exercise, diet, etc. Pricked my finger every morning, took metformin, back to the doctor for blood tests every 6 months, a real good DoBee.
But after a few years I got damn sick of pricking my finger and it usually didn’t change much except when I’d been bad the day before, so I started just testing on those days to see how bad I’d been. After about 10 years I had to add insulin daily to the metformin. I asked the doctor if that was my fault but he said it was a progression, change happens.

OK, I maintained my cavalier ways of not testing daily, and along the way added 2 pacemaker/defibrillators, 3 knee replacements, 2 cataracts, and a wonky toe bone surgery.
So after another dozen years in addition the metformin/insulin routine they added Trulicity. Self administered shot once a week at just under $250 a shot. Mostly because each shot come in a very complicated device that’s disposable... well that and the greedy motherfuckers have a patent so no generic. Push the button and it extends the needle, pushes out the shit, retracts the needle, and trash it.

The point of this long tale, is don’t get too excited or depressed. Shit happens and quite often you can’t to much about it. I’ve been dealing with diabetes for almost 30 years. Haven’t changed my lifestyle much, still drink beer, Everclear, and a new bad habit Skrewball, peanut flavored whiskey. Try to be aware of what I eat but where and when I get hungry has a very large effect, and I don’t eat no stinkin’ kale.
For 9 months of the year I’m the same age as Keith Richards.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera