cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/26/2022 5:20 am  #1

UPS Sucks Brown Trucks = Shit Service

I’ve always been happy with UPS, the drivers were friendly on the rare occasions I saw them. Any questions I could stop at the garage in Lansdowne and talk to the driver or the boss. They would leave packages on the front porch or before I retired I had a dog house on the porch with a hinged lid and they would put packages in there out of sight and weather.

BUT a few weeks ago I found a package on the wet ground in the rain, by the mailbox, next to the road, where I couldn’t see it from the house. Color me annoyed.
Four days later I get an email, your package has been delivered to the front door. Nope, not there, it’s out by the mailbox, by the road where nobody can see it except the cars driving by. Since the first one four days earlier I’d been trying to contact UPS. All I could get online or on the phone was virtual assistants that answer only questions they are programmed to. The VA at the 800 number told me to say the 18 digit tracking number slowly, one digit at a time, then gave me a cheery, “I didn’t get that”, eight fucking times. Then she told me to go online and hung up.

A couple days later I ran out of checks. I thought I had another book in the safe but I didn’t, so I went online Sunday evening and ordered checks from the printer paying extra for 2 day service. Tuesday they emailed they are sent. I got an email from UPS saying they would be delivered on Wednesday between 1:45 and 3:45 PM.
They sent another email Wednesday morning saying they would be delivered today between 1:45 and 3:45 PM.
Wednesday morning at 11:59 AM I get an email saying they had been delivered. Of course they were not at the front door, so I go out to the mailbox and not there either. Click on “proof of delivery” it says “left at front door”. It also says delivered to HAVERTOWN, PA, 19083, I live in BROOKHAVEN, PA, 19015.
There is not one soul in Havertown with my surname. Havertown has no street name even close to my road.
I can see at 3AM the bleary eyed loader putting it in the wrong truck, but how in hell was it delivered?? To whom was it delivered??
 After an afternoon of frustration trying to contact UPS I get a phone call from a woman saying, “It’s no big deal” the Havertown driver will pick them up and bring them back to the garage. The Brookhaven driver will deliver them tomorrow. Have a nice day and hangs up.
Hulk hates “It’s no big deal”. Grrr
So Thursday I get an email,  They were delivered to your front door.

The package had been ripped open I assume by whoever they were delivered to as UPS would have no reason to open them. They arrived in a UPS box with part of the original package taped on the box.
OK, I go online and battle the VA long enough eventually get a live assistant... in India, or some other awkward English place. She didn’t have a clue to what I was talking about. She insisted I give her a tracking number or she couldn’t do anything so I gave her the last one from the checks. 
She reassured me she would pass the problem to the local facility.
I responded sure, pass the buck to somebody else hoping I’ll give up.
Oh no, they will bring prompt attention to your frustration.
Wanna bet real money on that?
Repeat assurances, then is there anything else I can help you with?
You haven’t done anything for me yet.
Repeat assurances. and offer.
I guess we’re done then.
Repeat assurances.
I can’t make them understand the package delivered to the wrong town was immensely stupid but that’s been resolved, my problem is not delivering to the porch but leaving shit by the road. Grrr.
The next day a woman from UPS left a voicemail saying the screwed up delivery was a one time thing and would never happen again. Obviously she didn’t have a clue what I was complaining about either.

I figured out where the UPS trucks come from, Hog Island behind the airport. I went down there in the early afternoon and went in the guard shack door marked visitors which is just a counter in the corner of the big area with the metal detectors that employees go through going in and out.
So I tell the 2 chicks (security guards) behind the counter my problem and they say, oh, you have to talk to the people in the trailer next door, and they’re only there from 6 to 9 PM.
I know that’s bullshit because I’ve been in trailer several times. Just one or two clerks so you can send or arrange to pick up packages there after hours. Why the fuck should I have to talk to shipping/receiving clerks. Lying bitches, I tried to be friendly and as non-threatening as possible but a wasted effort. I should go back with the AR-15 or the Street-Sweeper. Grrrrr I’ll just say they were Democrat child trafficking pedophiles.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

12/26/2022 1:24 pm  #2

Re: UPS Sucks Brown Trucks = Shit Service

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Havertown has no street name even close to my road. I can see at 3AM the bleary eyed loader putting it in the wrong truck, but how in hell was it delivered?? To whom was it delivered??

Whoa, Silver! Your street name has two words in it. There are streets in Havertown with your three-digit address and some variation on one word or the other. To complicate matters, if you put your street address into Google Maps, a beautiful street view of your mailbox and the guard rail (with distinctive marking) across the street from it appears. It's labelled with the correct numerical address; but the second word ONLY of your street name. That word also appears superposed on the image of the road. Ohhhhh, what a world, what a world.

With so many dwellings having people with different surnames living under one roof nowadays, they don't rely on the names so much anymore. For all they know, you could be periodically shacking-up with someone in Havertown.

Mr. S.E. Xobon.

12/26/2022 9:51 pm  #3

Some variation of one or the other? Why not drop it with the flying turkeys, just as much chance of being right.
It's not even the right zip code no less the right town, gross incompetence! Fail.
But you don't get it either, that situation was resolved. What I want is stop leaving my shit by the side of the road and bring it to the front porch like they have been doing for 40 years.

12/26/2022 10:54 pm  #4

Oh, I got it. I just figured:

The drivers are trying to avoid the grumpy old man who lives at your address.
or
There's a female driver trying to avoid the amorous old man who lives at your address.
or
UPS is cutting corners by cutting down delivery times to help compensate for inflation like many other businesses. Time is money.

12/27/2022 11:10 am  #5

Is the Google Maps picture still accurate? Because I can't even really see the house, or a driveway. It just looks like a mailbox in front of a jungle. Maybe they're skeered of creatures.

Edit: nevermind, I see the driveway--why is the mailbox so far away from it? If I were a new driver I'd be confused about where the address actually was. Rip that sucker out and stick it where it belongs.

Last edited by Clodfobble (12/27/2022 11:15 am)

1/01/2023 12:07 am  #6

Because the driveway is on the intersection so the mailbox is located where it's safe to pull over, and where the driveway used to be. A half dozen years before I bought the place they re-engineered the intersection widened the road, buried the septic tank under nine feet of fill, forced the owner to move the driveway to the other end of the house further from both doors. They wanted the driveway to enter the intersection because by the mailbox they would have to put up a blind driveway sign.(sarcasm but sort of true)
Actually the mailbox is only about 50 feet from the front door, I can see the mailbox from the house but not the ground under it because of the terrain. 

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (1/01/2023 12:07 am)

1/01/2023 11:02 am  #7

Wow, that's a wild explanation and makes total sense. It sucks that the city was like, "it's too dangerous for a mail truck to pull over here, but's totally fine for the homeowner to pull out of their driveway at that spot forever."

Now I'm picturing a parcel basket on a rope that you bring in like a clothesline, or a set of hydraulic tubes like they have at the bank. Or a Wile E. Coyote style trap for the UPS driver--the mailman leans out his vehicle from the road, so he's safe, but when any weight is placed around the base of the mailbox, the whole thing drops down into an oubliette so you can lecture the UPS driver (and not let them out again until they put the lotion on their skin.)

1/01/2023 11:22 am  #8

Hmm... taking notes.

Board footera