cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/16/2023 1:32 am  #1

Memento Mori

Thinking about my inevitable, and onrushing demise...

This is gonna be a long thread.

God wiilin'.

Be Just And Fear Not

1/16/2023 7:03 am  #2

Re: Memento Mori

Feeling pretty mortal myself as we bury our old people. We're almost done with the layer of folks in front of us.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/16/2023 10:17 am  #3

griff wrote:

Feeling pretty mortal myself as we bury our old people. We're almost done with the layer of folks in front of us.

Layers. That's a compelling image. Are we rising to the top or digging to the bottom?

I always visualize a long road race with people peeling off from time to time for various reasons, too tired, puncture or mechanical failure either slows them down or takes them out of the race. Gradually the field thins. New riders appear as you pass though towns, they speed ahead. Sometimes you catch up to them and pass them, sometimes your the rider they leave behind by the side of the road.

Last edited by footfootfoot (1/16/2023 10:18 am)

Hey! That's me up there!

1/17/2023 6:41 am  #4

I see it as atmospheric layers, we're getting off planet.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/18/2023 2:55 am  #5

I see it as layers above my head, protecting me from some sort of metaphorical "weather".
The last one above my brother and me was my uncle just before covid hit.
My brother and I are next. And in our generation, where there were originally seven cousins, only three are left.

Living life on the edge.

1/18/2023 6:52 am  #6

Our previous generations are thinning out. Pete has her Dad and his brother left. I have Dad, his younger brother, two sisters and one uncle on mom's side. These are Irish Catholics so their numbers are down. I'm down two cousins but we have spares.

1/20/2023 5:45 am  #7

"we have spares"

Last edited by Limey (1/20/2023 5:46 am)

Living life on the edge.

2/16/2023 2:34 am  #8

My only kin is a brother 11 years younger who I probably won't have to bury. Never say never.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

2/16/2023 7:26 am  #9

Just found out I'm Dad's backup executor to my older sister. I wish she had a healthier lifestyle. For that matter, I wish all my siblings were healthier. Unlikely but it could be me and Dad in the end.

Board footera