cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/23/2023 10:44 pm  #1

We got your whine right here

Well mine is here, anyway.....

It's Sunday.  I last had a day off work last Sunday.  I will next have a day off work on Saturday.  I worked 12 hours today, 13 yesterday, 10 Friday and 37 the Mon-Thu before that and I have to be there at 7am tomorrow

yup, shittons of OT @ time and a half, but I'm knackered, and they at least owe me not doing the 7am tomorrow, but it was too late to dump it on anyone else by the time they realized they really ought to....

OK I'm done, thanks for the whine space.

Oh, you wanna here about my rough day... well then.... let the rant commence......

We are training 120ish new interviewers from all over the country.  the have to conduct interviews of 4ish hours in length which also includes taking physical measurements and saliva samples and performing cognition tests.  At the end of training, in addition to interview technique, they have to be certified in taking each physical measurement.  Today was that day and I was required to be a certifier. I am trained in that but this was my maiden voyage and I was not looking forward to it.
Each certifier can only do 4 in a day, because it's a 1.5 hour process.  Of my 4 victims, only one passed without problems.  One almost passed, and I was able to get them through with a quick redo.  The other two did not.  If that happens, they get an opportunity to try again in the evening.  -We give feedback, then they get to try with a different certifier (who did not spend the whole day certifying).

They ran out of different certifiers so without warning I was thrown a recert.  Around 6pm.  They were unfuckinbelievably terrible. And slow.  And we had to go through all of it to give them a "fair chance".   

It was so bad, their "respondent" -who was also one of our staff- was giving me "is this for fucking real" glances.

It was so bad that when I dismissed the "respondent" because the last measure has to be administered to the certifier, I gave them the "send help" glance and said they should check in with someone they totally didn't need to check in with before they left the building

It was so bad, the powers that be brought in special forces to terminate the process before the end due to the unbelievable amount of time they were taking and the mounting number of unacceptable errors -but by the time they got in the room we were on the last thing so they let it finish. 

It was so bad that there were errors that were major/instant fail but so ridiculous they weren't listed in the "major error" section because no-one had ever though of them/done them before.  Which is how "the powers" knew how bad it was before I sent up the distress flare -I had to message them to get approval to list a new major error.  Several times...

Me to utterdickhead: "It will just take me a few moments to enter my notes" ...
Me to basecamp: "how do I code they went off script and decided to tell the respondent about their prior experience as a professional ballerina regarding how to position their feet during a balance test?" and "They reset the device to 100 instead of zero, laughed at the amazingly high result result, recorded it anyway (incorrectly), realized what they'd done several measures later, so decided to go back and make the poor respondent do it all over again, and still recorded it incorrectly" etc.

Also, my feet hurt.  

This feels like a hazing.....    whiney whine whine whine

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

4/24/2023 5:22 am  #2

Re: We got your whine right here

What are you training/certifying these people to do?

As vaguely as you feel necessary to protect the guilty.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

4/24/2023 5:49 am  #3

Stiff competition...

4/24/2023 5:30 pm  #4

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

What are you training/certifying these people to do?

As vaguely as you feel necessary to protect the guilty.

Take blood pressure using a machine, a non-diagnostic hearing test, measure hand strength, gait speed, balance, peak flow, height, weight, waist circumference, a cognitive test and obtain a saliva sample.  thrilling stuff.  But stuff one has to make sure people know what they are doing.

All verbiage and instructions are scripted and approved by an Independent Institutional Review Board as are all procedures because this is human subject research, and they must be strictly adhered to in order to  (a) ensure the research is robust and (b) ensure participants' safety.  Not necessarily in that order.

I work on this project

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

4/29/2023 11:16 pm  #5

Yeah, I can see where sloppy data gathering would skew the whole project results. You'll always get people who think I'm volunteering to help, that should be appreciated rather than expect me to do it a certain way. They're the ones that'll drive you crazy.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

4/30/2023 11:04 am  #6

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Yeah, I can see where sloppy data gathering would skew the whole project results. You'll always get people who think I'm volunteering to help, that should be appreciated rather than expect me to do it a certain way. They're the ones that'll drive you crazy.

These people are being paid.  They are not volunteers.  Their future victims will be the volunteers.   Their job is to follow the script and perform the correct actions.  This is what we are paying them for.  And we are paying them all the time they are at training.  And feeding them, flying them there and back and paying for their accomodation.

Last edited by monster (4/30/2023 11:06 am)

4/30/2023 11:09 am  #7

On the plus side, I earned enough overtime to cover the cost of my flights to Seattle this summer AND the Queen tickets for October.  But on the minus side i have REALLY injured my foot with all that standing when it was already iffy and now I'm off running for a few weeks.  And I'm still not entirely sure what day of the week it is

Board footera