cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/21/2022 11:23 am  #226

Re: What is harshing your mellow today?

Is there only one lab in town?

10/21/2022 12:59 pm  #227

wow

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

10/21/2022 2:08 pm  #228

Diaphone Jim wrote:

Is there only one lab in town?

It's a mammogram, so there aren't many, and they're nearly all owned by one company, which has a single appointment line for all their locations.

I did eventually speak to someone at 12:45. The call was incredibly brusque and efficient, done in exactly one minute seven seconds--which means the problem is managerial incompetence and a galling lack of staff, rather than an incompetent staff who is dragging out every call. As further evidence that the appointment line is the problem, the lady offered me multiple appointment times both today and Monday. She might literally be the only one taking appointments for five or six locations.

10/21/2022 3:02 pm  #229

I got a message that I needed to reschedule an appointment after reading your post. 15 minutes +- I feel like I dodged one.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

10/21/2022 3:09 pm  #230

Clodfobble, not to minimize your situation, but have you considered that maybe October is the busiest month, and on top of that, the cumulative tidal wave of every year's October patients having 12mo follow-ups?

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

10/21/2022 8:15 pm  #231

Flint wrote:

Clodfobble, not to minimize your situation, but have you considered that maybe October is the busiest month, and on top of that, the cumulative tidal wave of every year's October patients having 12mo follow-ups?

I'm sure that's big factor.  I need to schedule mine, but not until Dec 6th, so I'm just waiting a wee while to call and hoping for the best

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

10/22/2022 4:09 pm  #232

Flint wrote:

Ha! I genuinely did not know until I googled it (while thinking to myself, "what the fuck is this fucker talking about?") My annual was actually due in March and I just didn't get around to it until now. But also, this lab does MRIs and Bone Densities and Xrays, too, and they had actual appointments available right away, so it's not like the lab itself is busy. Just this one poor phone lady.

10/22/2022 8:46 pm  #233

I'm mostly aware the October is breast cancer awareness month because that's the month that my friend was diagnosed and all flowers and mail and food delivery and everything came with "breast cancer awareness" stamped all over it and i wanted to scream "She's already fucking aware of it, wankers, rub it in, why don't you?"

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

11/20/2022 4:58 pm  #234

I've had three credit card numbers stolen in the last month. It's disconcerting, to say the least.

11/20/2022 6:29 pm  #235

Nothing.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

11/21/2022 7:00 am  #236

Clodfobble wrote:

I've had three credit card numbers stolen in the last month. It's disconcerting, to say the least.

That's crazy. Christmas shopping on-line?

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/21/2022 7:01 am  #237

fargon wrote:

Nothing.

Me too.

11/21/2022 12:17 pm  #238

griff wrote:

Clodfobble wrote:

That's crazy. Christmas shopping on-line?

Nope. One is my catch-all online card, which gets stolen about once a year--it is what it is. The second is recurring autopay bills and Amazon only. The third is groceries-only, which 99% of the time is in-person at one store, but once or twice a year gets used online (such as bulk ordering frozen meat, or when it's time to re-up on the 25 lb. box of almond flour, etc.) The last one is the one that really shocked me, that number has been going strong for nearly 20 years.

11/21/2022 12:25 pm  #239

I suspect there's been a big data breach (or several) that we'll only hear about 9 months from now--old dwellar hot_pastrami, for those who remember him, said that the open donation link on his website occasionally gets hit with a bunch of automated small donations, which is how thieves test which card numbers are still good. It's a software arms race to prevent that kind of automated process from going through, but he noted that in the last month it's gotten really bad, as many as 20,000 attempts at a time.

11/21/2022 1:23 pm  #240

Clodfobble wrote:

I suspect there's been a big data breach (or several) that we'll only hear about 9 months from now--old dwellar hot_pastrami, for those who remember him, said that the open donation link on his website occasionally gets hit with a bunch of automated small donations, which is how thieves test which card numbers are still good. It's a software arms race to prevent that kind of automated process from going through, but he noted that in the last month it's gotten really bad, as many as 20,000 attempts at a time.

So I should be suspicious of the mysterious penny credit transactions I see on my card statements?

Living life on the edge.

11/21/2022 1:24 pm  #241

Oh, and YAY! Hot Pastrami!!

Living life on the edge.

11/21/2022 1:32 pm  #242

I'd definitely be suspicious of any transaction I didn't make. That said, they could be conversion charges if you're in the habit of buying things in multiple currencies. My credit card statements put those in a different place than regular transactions, though.

11/22/2022 10:59 pm  #243

The three credit reporting agencies have all that information and they've all been hacked at least once. I sure my credit card info is hanging out on a shitload of computers I'm not aware of.
My last card with Citibank I had for 7 or 8 years. It would expire at the end of August every year and I'd get a new card in the mail a week or two ahead of time. It was all automatic and I never thought much about it.
Then the first week in August I get a letter from EZpass who had been billing that card for a couple years saying the card would run out at the end of the month and be sure to inform them of a new card. I thought that's weird and sure enough I get to the end of August and no new card.
I called and we played 40 questions until they asked me the name of my first pet that I gave the 7 or 8 years back. That's tough because I never had a pet when I lived at home, plenty of livestock but no pets. Consequently they wouldn't talk to me and I let that card go.
But apparently they had made the decision to drop me, maybe because in all those years I never paid a dime in interest or penalties. They tipped off EZpass but not me.
You never know who's talking about you, or about what.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (11/22/2022 10:59 pm)

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

11/23/2022 5:53 pm  #244

Clodfobble wrote:

I'd definitely be suspicious of any transaction I didn't make. That said, they could be conversion charges if you're in the habit of buying things in multiple currencies. My credit card statements put those in a different place than regular transactions, though.

So I rang the bank and asked and was told they are cashback on transactions I've made. I suggested that this should be made clearer on the statements by, for example, listing the events next to each other. I explained that if banks want me to be vigilant in examining my bank statements for any irregular transactions they should make things more transparent. The operative I spoke to saw my point and promised to pass the suggestion up the line. I don't expect anything will change as a result of that conversation.

Living life on the edge.

1/20/2023 8:38 pm  #245

Clodfobble wrote:

One of my motherfucking replacement cards was just fucking stolen again. I only had the damn thing for 6 weeks!! And now someone has tried to open utility services in my name--they don't seem to have had any information beyond my card number and my name/billing address, so hopefully I'm not looking at full identity theft. I really do not need this right now, you thieving bastards.

I've set identity fraud alerts at all the credit bureaus and my bank, and I'm about to start using the "generate a one-time credit card number for every individual purchase online" function. Any other suggestions?

1/20/2023 10:48 pm  #246

Stored credit card numbers can be stolen by malware on a device. It wouldn't hurt to go to your browser's settings and look under Autofill and/or Payment categories to ensure there are no credit card numbers stored there. You can also select the Autofill Form Data to be among the items deleted when you clear your browsing history. Be sure to logout of websites after transactions. Run a full virus scan if you haven't done so for a while. In essence, try to rule out a compromised device.

Mr. S.E. Xobon.

1/21/2023 8:45 am  #247

Yeah, I've done that, Mr. Clod is convinced my machine is clean. On the other hand, there is no single vendor who was used on all four cards. It's possible they were caught in unrelated breaches, but it's also possible that one of the credit agencies themselves had a breach. Experian seems to get hacked all the time.

1/21/2023 11:39 am  #248

It's also possible that scammers just guessed your card number. Here's a nice article from the UK on how a "guess attack" works:

Scammers guessed my credit card number - and they could guess yours too.

It's not so difficult to do and almost impossible to prevent the initial fraud. You're probably already doing what can be done if this is the cause. Sorry you're having a run of bad luck.

PS: I wonder what security measures are in place for those who use credit cards to pay their monthly fee at boardhost.com? This place hasn't exactly demonstrated the most advanced technology. Maybe use a one-time number here if you're not already using Venmo or PayPal.

Mr S.E. Xobon.

1/21/2023 9:29 pm  #249

I re-load six months at a time here, so at the very least they can't be to blame for the most recent card theft.

The thing that really gets me is the various fraud-detecting algorithms are so shitty. I'll get an automated phone call with an incredibly long intro making me press 1 to confirm that I really ordered food from the restaurant a mile from my house, yet $200 at a liquor store in California just minutes after I bought gas in my hometown doesn't throw any red flags? At this point I'd honestly be fine with two-factor authentication on every purchase. Just text me every fucking time with the option to say "no, that's not me," and the system instantly gets a thousand times better than what you have now.

1/22/2023 8:59 am  #250

word

Board footera