cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/05/2023 3:22 pm  #301

Re: What is harshing your mellow today?

I keep getting distracted when I try to focus today.

Yesterday morning, on my way to the Metro, I noticed a house had tin foil covering its windows.  Every single window.  And it was was done neatly.  I thought that was odd, and the owner might be trying to hide something, and I wondered if I should call the police, But I didn't, because there is no law against tin foil on every single one of your windows.

On my way home, there were a bunch of cops in the neighborhood around the same house, and a fire engine idling nearby, and my bike path route was closed by the police.  I had to detour two blocks out of my way, and as I passed a cop, I heard them talking with another person about a guy shooting off flares into the neighboring soccer field and park. 

So I got home and had dinner and was on a zoom call with my family, when I heard a very loud explosion.  It shook our house and scared the crap out of me.  My wife and I went out the front door to see wtf was going on, and all the neighbors came out too.  WFT was that? and then I saw flames reaching up into the sky an a ton of smoke in what looked like the next block.

Turns out it was 3 blocks away, and it was this nutjob.  Looks like it was a typical suicidal paranoid dude, and he hated his neighbors and the world.  Why can't these guys just take too many sleeping pills and leave everyone else out of it?

https://www.arlnow.com/2023/12/04/part-of-bluemont-trail-closed-due-to-man-shooting-off-flare-gun/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckfokZBBFGQ

12/05/2023 3:47 pm  #302

omg I saw that house exploding all over my Reddit feed

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

12/05/2023 4:36 pm  #303

I know, right?  I'm the same way.  You see stuff like this in your feed, and you are like "WOW" and that's the extent of it.  But it's a real place with real people and real neighbors. My daughter played many soccer games on that field he was shooting flares into during his twisted foreplay.

12/05/2023 6:30 pm  #304

I remember growing up, if somebody had tinfoil on their windows, we thought it was a "drug house" but I don't really understand why they would attract attention like that. You noticed it  yesterday, so do you think he had just recently done it? It's not something you normally see done, the tinfoil, on a big, two-story house. More of a crappy apartment type thing.

The explosion was pretty big, looks like about half the house immediately blew out, and the other half collapsed within seconds. I wonder how he got so much explosive material, I thought the government had things like that pretty locked down, after incidents like Oklahoma.

This is something you definitely think only happens "somewhere else" ..wherever that is. I guess everywhere is somebody's "right by me" ...

Are you okay? How are you feeling?

Last edited by Flint (12/05/2023 6:30 pm)

12/05/2023 7:22 pm  #305

...twisted foreplay...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

12/06/2023 6:51 am  #306

Holy crap. I'm glad he didn't manage to take anyone with him. It would appear he was hoping to kill some First Responders even a wellness check would have gone South. Be safe dwellar!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/06/2023 8:15 am  #307

I'm better today.  I only noticed the tin foil on Monday, maybe it was there a little sooner and I just didn't see?  But I walked past the house every commute, so 6 times a week,  I feel like I would have noticed it sooner if it was there sooner.

I also wonder about stockpiling.  I don't know if the type of material tim mcveigh used can still be bought at home depot, but even if it's in smaller quantities, a patient and methodical person can get a lot done over time.

12/06/2023 1:45 pm  #308

So I guess the guy was trying to attract attention to himself. I wonder how long he had to plan on doing this.

12/07/2023 8:33 am  #309

glatt wrote:

I'm better today.

Glad to hear that. It's kind of a lot.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/07/2023 11:58 am  #310

Flint wrote:

So I guess the guy was trying to attract attention to himself. I wonder how long he had to plan on doing this.

Its always the question that is never answered.  Why would anyone do something so illogical?

How much explosives (what kind and where did he get them) were necessary to take out his house and the attached duplex?

Clearly it was no accident.  But why so much planning for something that otherwise makes no (apparent) sense?  Never answered.  So many Timothy McVeighs.

It might have been answered in The Cellar.   Stated quite clearly was a need to "fuck things up".  Extremists endorse such philosophies.

Last edited by tw (12/07/2023 12:00 pm)

12/07/2023 12:31 pm  #311

To ask "why would anyone do something so illogical" is to miss the point--mental illness is by definition not logical. Try having a conversation with a mentally ill person who thinks they're being entirely rational, and you will quickly realize there is no talking them out of their delusions. That's why they're delusions.

12/07/2023 1:41 pm  #312

Apologies for the thread drift, but, there are some thing in our society which are considered illogical, but not delusional-- because they conform to our social norms of morality. And other things which are considered delusional, despite having a perfectly consistent logic-- because they are morally incomprehensible.

I struggle with the line being drawn from morally reprehensible acts connecting to mental illness via their measure of logic. If I were, for instance, an FBI profiler trying to eliminate a harmful actor, I wouldn't benefit my investigation by imagining the suspect as incomprehensibly illogical.

Obviously this house guy was a cuckoo, but in general I don't think it benefits our collective safety to relegate immoral acts to mental illness, essentially banishing them to the realm of incomprehensibility.

If morally and logically incomprehensible acts are occurring with regularity, and the morality is something we're not willing to reconsider, then the logic purported to be behind them is our only chance to understand how to eliminate their causes.Otherwise we're playing whack-a-mole. And I guess that's why I feel the label "mental illness" is not really helpful in regards to a solution.

Last edited by Flint (12/07/2023 1:42 pm)

12/07/2023 3:33 pm  #313

Clodfobble wrote:

That's why they're delusions.

And that was the question.  Being delusional is only an observation.  What is never answered.  What are they delusional.  Unfortunately, sometimes an observation is confused with what is required to know why.

Its always the question that is never answered.  Why would anyone do something so illogical?

12/07/2023 3:34 pm  #314

I don't want to spend too much time learning about this guy and making him human, because fuck HIM.  But the little I learned before I stopped looking was that he was a security professional, and he had his neighbors under surveillance as his little hobby.  I have to think that people who train their brains to look for threats will see them everywhere.  It's simply how a plastic brain works.  You build up these neural pathways and then they become superhighways for your thoughts.  It's similar to law enforcement professionals and the attitudes they develop over time after being exposed to the worst segments of society through their career.  I might even go so far as to say it's related to the firefighters who set fires.

I don't know how we don't have more problems considering the number of soldiers, law enforcement, etc. and various professionals who have training that have all built pathways in their brains that are a little horrifying. Add to that the gun nuts who are training for WW3 and it's surprising how peaceful the world is.

12/07/2023 3:43 pm  #315

Flint wrote:

Otherwise we're playing whack-a-mole. And I guess that's why I feel the label "mental illness" is not really helpful in regards to a solution. 

Which gets closer to the elusive answer.  Why, for example, does someone constantly do retail theft, constantly get caught, and do it again?  Or in a recent example, come back and murder the guard who caught him?

Where is logic in that?  Best answers seem to be related to which brain is in control.  The emotional one that is not influenced by logic; is driven by personal satisfaction, fears, or other emotions.  Or another one that makes one an adult.

A hypothesis based in psychology but (I fear) does not explain everything.  Is one delusional or just emotional?

Did one just fly over the cuckoo's nest?  A reason or only an observation?

it's surprising how peaceful the world is.

Indeed a curious question.  How much is considered peaceful?

Last edited by tw (12/07/2023 3:44 pm)

12/07/2023 5:24 pm  #316

glatt wrote:

... it's surprising how peaceful the world is.

We carry a sensitive cargo
Below the waterline
Ticking like a time bomb with a primitive design
Behind the finer feelings, the civilized veneer
The heart of a lonely hunter guards a dangerous frontier

Neil Peart, 'Lock and Key'
from the 1987 Rush album, 'Hold your Fire'

Has it gotten worse since 1987, or has it always been this way?

I try not to think about the world.

12/07/2023 8:45 pm  #317

glatt wrote:

...I don't know how we don't have more problems considering the number of soldiers, law enforcement, etc. and various professionals who have training that have all built pathways in their brains that are a little horrifying....

12/08/2023 8:44 am  #318

Flint wrote:

Has it gotten worse since 1987, or has it always been this way? 

Ask Billy Joel.

12/08/2023 2:18 pm  #319

at least we're no longer experiencing the terrible trauma of the Cola wars

12/08/2023 2:47 pm  #320

Walked by the site today.  The roads and bike path are open again.  It looks just like a construction site where they tore a building down and are almost done cleaning it up. I'm sure several dump truck loads have been removed, and there are just a couple piles of metal scraps and rubble.  The amazing thing is that the immediate next door neighbor's house doesn't even have broken windows.

12/08/2023 2:48 pm  #321

12/08/2023 3:51 pm  #322

From what I could see, his house was a duplex.  His explosion  was on the left side. Meaning a firewall would have deflected the exposion left towards the bike trail.  No explosive force directed at the next door neighbors house.

Did this house have no basement?

12/08/2023 4:41 pm  #323

I think it had a basement.  The houses are cookie cutter and you can see the neighbors have a basement.

12/09/2023 7:38 am  #324

In some pictures, the adjacent duplex has enough wood to (apparently) finish his basement.  It guess his basement is now finished.

12/10/2023 2:31 am  #325

glatt wrote:

I'm better today.  I only noticed the tin foil on Monday, maybe it was there a little sooner and I just didn't see?  But I walked past the house every commute, so 6 times a week,  I feel like I would have noticed it sooner if it was there sooner.

I also wonder about stockpiling.  I don't know if the type of material tim mcveigh used can still be bought at home depot, but even if it's in smaller quantities, a patient and methodical person can get a lot done over time.

It's not difficult to acquire enough gas to level a neighborhood. The logistics of acquisition is easy, the logistics of using it are not for a neighborhood. But one house you're in, piece of cake. 

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera