cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/02/2020 1:17 pm  #26

Re: What is harshing your mellow today?

footfootfoot wrote:

Like, in the actual classroom or is she virtually attending school? ugh. Like 7th grade once wasn't bad enough.
Either way you can brush up on your Louisiana Purchase facts...

Virtual. She's got a huge backlog of missing work, largely because the teachers spend 15 minutes at the start of class going over a few things and then say, "here's your assignment to do during class time, everybody can log off but I'll be here if you have questions," and then of course she goes and chats with her friends and/or plays games and/or jams out to music for the next 75 minutes, and "forgets" that the assignment even existed. We've blacklisted a bunch of websites, but there are always more out there, and every time we set it to whitelist-sites-only, like clockwork one of the teachers comes up with some new damn educational website she suddenly needs to be able to access right that instant. So I'm sitting here in her bedroom, where I can see her screen and verify that she's working all day, trying to get my own work done while tuning out the inanity of roll calls and listening to the dogs whimper outside the door because if they come in they'll be another distraction for her. Also, the kids' dentist would like me to know their dental hygiene has really taken a nosedive during the pandemic (no shit, Sherlock) and Minifobette has a gum infection so we "really need to work on that brushing." First off, three times a day is bullshit nonsense and they damn well know it, and second, it wouldn't be so bad if she hadn't been in braces for over three years now because the dentist and the orthodontist agreed it would be better to "get a head start" on things and then we all had to sit around with our thumbs up our asses and wait for an extra year-and-counting because her permanent teeth never signed on to the agreement and are coming in on their own sweet schedule, and ALSO the attendance office would like to remind me that I need to inform them of medical absences BEFORE they happen, which they only know about because one of the kids' teachers narc'ed on me--the same one who, by the way, sent me a nagging email about my daughter's less-than-expected performance on a test when she got an EIGHTY-FUCKING-SIX and I'm like, "bitch, she's actually failing other classes, I don't have time for this 'living up to your potential' bullshit" and everyone, all of them, can all just go fuck themselves.

12/02/2020 4:17 pm  #27

Ow. 

Living life on the edge.

12/02/2020 5:22 pm  #28

It appears my mellow was harshed more than I realized this morning.

12/02/2020 6:08 pm  #29

Clodfobble wrote:

Living life on the edge.

12/02/2020 7:24 pm  #30

I'm sorry, Clodfobble, but 

I really, really feel you.  This was beest then me for the last 4/5 years with Thunderboi.  Still didn't work well enough last year (freshman college) so this year he's taking a break.  Because I need a break.  I'm afraid for his dental hygiene too, but we don't have a dentist rn and he's 19 so.....  sigh

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

12/02/2020 9:05 pm  #31

You're both amongst friends, so....

Be Just And Fear Not

12/02/2020 11:17 pm  #32

Clodfobble wrote:

Oh I'd say. In fact, not only was your mellow harshed but it looks like your groove was seriously scorched.

Hey! That's me up there!

12/03/2020 7:22 am  #33

footfootfoot wrote:

Some twat stole a package from my mailbox on Friday. Amazon is replacing the items but it sucks that there is a twat roaming around helping themselves to people's mail. I told the cops and the post office. Ordering some cameras today. The knuckle heads stole two kitchen scales worth $10 each. How will they fence those?

Why do you rob Amazon? That's where the money is. Folks are suffering out there but at least the stock market is up. Not making light of your losses though, UPS stopped leaving our packages at the end of the driveway at least until the snow gets serious.

Clod: I'm going into a few homes which have kids on zoom, you're definitely not alone.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/03/2020 11:05 am  #34

griff wrote:

Why do you rob Amazon? That's where the money is. Folks are suffering out there but at least the stock market is up. Not making light of your losses though, UPS stopped leaving our packages at the end of the driveway at least until the snow gets serious.

I don't follow. Maybe you mean Why don't I rob amazon?
I told the postal lady to leave the packages inside the mudroom, UPS and FEDex usually do. I'm adding it to delivery instructions from now on. The police said there are a few kids who have a regular route of vandalism that runs past my house. I think they have suspicions but haven't caught them yet.

Hey! That's me up there!

12/03/2020 1:47 pm  #35

I was floating the idea that folks are desperate and Amazon is thriving, so like banks in the 1930's Amazon is the obvious target.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/03/2020 6:23 pm  #36

griff wrote:

I was floating the idea that folks are desperate and Amazon is thriving, so like banks in the 1930's Amazon is the obvious target.

Ahh. My uptake, lately, hasn't been the sharpest. That makes sense; it's a semi-'victimless crime'.

Hey! That's me up there!

12/07/2020 12:52 am  #37

Bill from Verizon,  mailed 11-6-20, payment due 12-01-20, arrives 12-05-20.
Letter from finance guy in South Jersey,  written 11-11-20,  postmarked 11-13-20,  arrives 12-05-20.
Trump and  DeJoy have screwed up the post office terribly. 

edit: It's DeJoy not Joy... Hmm, come to think of it the De prefix is most appropriare.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (12/09/2020 1:16 am)

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

12/07/2020 7:01 am  #38

Yeah the postal service remains broken here as well. I see why His Majesty thought he would win, they seriously screwed the pooch. 

12/08/2020 6:40 pm  #39

Momdigr's been waiting on some kind of tablet for like 14 weeks now...

12/09/2020 7:08 am  #40

Is she tracking the thing?

12/09/2020 11:38 am  #41

Update on porch pirates:
A couple of days after I posted about the pirates and made a police report and reported it to the post office I got a visit from my extremely apologetic letter carrier who handed me the opened package with nothing missing and some paperwork which indicated that the package WAS delivered to a neighbor 3 houses down the bock. Their address is technically a different street than mine - because we're on a corner but use the side entrance for everythng. They "accidentally opened the package and meant to return it but ... didn't?"
How did the letter carrier find out the package was there? Because their electronic delivery confirmation logs the delivery with a really accurate GPS tag. They checked the routing number and saw that it was delivered to the other address. When I checked the routing number it showed it was delivered to my address. They must have a different system.
The letter carrier must have gotten spanked because she was extremely apologetic and told me I should have just checked tracking to look at the GPS (that's now my job?) even though GPS doesn't show up for me.
Now i have to tell the cops that it was a false alarm.
While all that was going on Amazon shipped replacement stuff that arrived before the package was returned from my neighbors.

Hey! That's me up there!

12/09/2020 2:06 pm  #42

And the neighbors haven't so much as said a word to you after "accidentally" rifling through your stuff?

12/09/2020 11:08 pm  #43

That happens REGULARLY here.

The exact same thing happened just last week.

Twil opened a package from Amazon, one of the regular flow in inbound shipping, and puzzled at the contents. THEN she looked at the label, saw it was addressed to our next door neighbor -- long dumb fucking story - - and I hiked it over them, opened, with my apologies. They were gracious but it's so bad, how bad is it, V?

It's so bad I've put a laminated sign on the gate they have to open to leave the goddamn package saying my address is 1234, not 1236,which is next door, RIGHT BEHIND YOU.

*sigh*

I would not want to have to make my nut with a side hustle delivering shit. ZERO job satisfaction.

Last edited by BigV (12/09/2020 11:09 pm)

Be Just And Fear Not

12/15/2020 11:11 pm  #44

Pologirl and Floridaborn are here, but Pologirl's luggage is not.  But a bag that looked like hers was unclaimed. -the main difference in the bags being that the one that looked like hers was tied with a flaming great bow so presumably the owner would find it easy to recognize.  Unless they forgot they had done that.... 
DTW is a massive hub, people do travel here from 5-7 hours out to fly.  So fuck knows where her bag is or when/if she will get it back.  plane landed 8 hours ago, still nothing.  it has her phone number on it.  Delta say they will drop it off when they get it back, but if it's somewhere in the wilds of the UP, how long is that going to take?  There was an announcement to make sure the bag you pick up is yours, especially if it is black or blue.  Do you think we can sue because they forgot to mention red? 

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

12/16/2020 3:17 am  #45

In all the flying I did I only had someone check my baggage claim stub against the bag tag twice and both times were Philly a few weeks apart.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

12/18/2020 7:45 pm  #46

It was a long long journey with many phone calls and much misinformation and today was going to be dedicated to going back to the airport on ice Friday roads to file a theft report with the airport police -cannot be filed over the phone or online- ....and suddenly, out of nowhere, like magic fucking feldspar..... it arrived!  Unmolested with all the camera gear that I had found would cost over $1K to replace.  So that's a thing....

12/19/2020 8:26 am  #47

There's a break.

12/19/2020 11:02 am  #48

Right on!

12/19/2020 12:38 pm  #49

Good news!

Be Just And Fear Not

12/19/2020 5:05 pm  #50

We don't have a humor thread anymore, but this fits the  delivery woes/humor category
I live on a narrow almost-two-lane dead end country road with a speed limit of 30 MPH that could easily be lower due to a narrow bridge at the corner of my property.  Jerks of all types routinely go over 30, but usually respond to a quick stop and conversation.
Ah, but FedEx.
This morning one went by at about 50 or 60 in the frosty fog.  Both ways.  Really dangerous. Pissed me off.
So I looked for the local office number to talk with the manager or transportation guy and suggest a little counseling.
Fat chance.  Got the guy in Mumbai with the accent.  Of course he wouldn't give me the number, and told me several; times "Trust me, I know what to do."  I expressed my doubt (strongly, I admit), but he was very confidant he could fix the problem.   
All he needed, he said, was the tracking number.

Board footera