cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/25/2023 12:24 am  #1

Oiling the Roads

Back in my youth they would repave the roads by laying down a coating of hot liquid tar and immediately cover
with pea stone (pebbles the size of a pea) which would provide a wear resistant surface to the tar water proofing
of the surface. It was commonly called "Oiling the Road".
This IotD has nothing to do with that. This road oiling was done by the public every day, every where they went.
This looks like a concrete road, probably California, but that's just a guess.
No matter, oil 'em all, no problem, the oil came out of the ground it'll just go back in.
When it rains that road might be dicey, but not to worry, everything be okey-dokey.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

6/26/2023 6:45 pm  #2

Re: Oiling the Roads

Oiling the gravel roads, reminds me of [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_Beach,_Missouri#Double_disaster]Times Beach, GA[/url].

What could go wrong?

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

6/27/2023 8:01 am  #3

I remember roads kind of like that, but this really takes the cake.  I guess modern cars are just that much better that they don't leak.

I had an 82 buick that went through a quart of oil a week until I fixed it.

6/27/2023 11:15 am  #4

Again not so much anymore, but you could always predict a bump or a low spot by the oil spot from drops that had just been waiting to fall.

6/27/2023 8:10 pm  #5

glatt wrote:

I had an 82 buick that went through a quart of oil a week until I fixed it.

I daily drove a 71 Pontiac GT-37 to work in the next town, 25 miles. It leaked/used/burned a quart each way.  Daily.  Wish I had it back.

I also had an 82 Buick, Electra Limited.  It liked 20 inches being 20 feet long.  That 307 Olds motor moved it along nicely.  25 gallon tank would take me 500 miles, too.  The seats were fantastic, like sitting in a sofa.

Last edited by TheNeverWas (6/27/2023 8:15 pm)

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

7/03/2023 3:31 am  #6

That Times Beach was in MO, not GA.
There was a Doctor in Landowne, PA , before WW II, who manufactured Radioactive needles... I should say created, as he bought the needles and exposed them to radiation in his cellar. There was a theory they could cure misc ailments when they stuck them into folks. 
He was real careful by using a big pile of sand to shield himself from the radiation source. And every once in a while he'd change the sand to new clean sand, selling the old sand to local contractors for making cement and brick mortar for the houses they were building in the area. By the time they tracked all the houses and removed 4 to 6 feet deep the soil around them the cost was staggering.
The Doctor and his whole family died of cancer.
This has nothing to do with oiling roads but and example of unintended and unforeseen results.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera