cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/25/2023 1:54 am  #1

Early Tech

This is a new one on me, never seen or even heard rumors of this.
Automatic advancing in-car navigation instructions driven by the cars wheel.
It was very specific to the route and if you didn't do what it said fuhgeddaboudit.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (6/25/2023 1:55 am)

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

6/25/2023 5:36 pm  #2

Re: Early Tech

Thar's pretty cool.

1910, damn.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

6/27/2023 3:02 pm  #3

It reminds me of the old way you would calculate flight paths. 

Litteraly on fire 

7/08/2023 12:58 am  #4

Speaking of early tech... Who was?   I was.
Of the famous inventors, the biggies everyone has heard of, Edison stands out.
Possibly because the light bulb had such a big impact on the world.
Or maybe because he was an asshole, first class braggadocio, liar, thief , PT Barnum school of business. 
But, but, he invented the light bulb...
No, he was successful after 40 years of many people trying because he was able to pull a better vacuum.
Months before that he announced he'd been successful then gave the press individual showings telling them it would burn for months. But the showings only lasted less than a minute. Change the bulb and do another private reveal. All this because he was afraid someone else would beat him. They all knew what the problem was and several were working on that.
Don't get me started on electrocuting an elephant.

Full disclosure - I worked for Westinghouse for 17 years, Edison's main competitor

7/11/2023 11:51 am  #5

Imagine a hydrocarbon light bult with a redhot carbon filament ...surely this will never go wrong 

Litteraly on fire 

7/14/2023 9:01 pm  #6

toranokaze wrote:

Imagine a hydrocarbon light bult with a redhot carbon filament ...surely this will never go wrong 

Ha ha, yeah, I don't see him on the list again.

7/20/2023 2:33 pm  #7

How's this for early tech?
Using a 1930 Teletype as a Linux Terminal

Commenters requested that we use our restored vintage 1930 Model 15 Teletype as a terminal for Linux. Hooking up a 5-bit Baudot mechanical contraption to a modern OS, even one that is terminal friendly, is not without some challenges: adapting to the non-standard high voltage 60 mA current loop, interfacing ASCII to the much smaller and different Baudot encoding, working in all caps, dealing with Baudot FIGS and LTRS modes, and making sure the computer doesn't overrun the pokey 45.5 bauds connection. But hey, Unix was developed on (much more modern 8-bit) teletypes, so that should still work, shouldn't it? --CuriousMarc

Just stumbled on this channel today..

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

Board footera