cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/17/2021 12:55 pm  #76

Re: Aircraft.

Unbelievably close to 100 years ago a famous pilot and a neat plane made history.
Looking at the pics, it seems even more special since there is no discernible cockpit and apparently no way to see out. .
 https://warbirdsnews.com/warbird-articles/today-in-aviation-history-jimmy-doolittle-wins-the-schneider-trophy.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_Army_Curtiss_R-8_racer.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss_R3C

12/17/2021 3:11 pm  #77

On this day in 1903 near Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, the first flight of a heavier than air machine was accomplished by Orville and Wilbur Wright.

And so it all began.

Wright Flyer

12/19/2021 5:22 am  #78

Look!  Up in the sky!

It's a bird.  It's a plane.  It's...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

12/19/2021 8:17 pm  #79

TheNeverWas wrote:

Look!  Up in the sky!

It's a bird.  It's a plane.  It's...

It's... a black rectangle with  weird noises.

12/20/2021 9:11 am  #80

Well, it's a popular website, so it's prolly not a problem on their end.  Also, the link works for me.
Could it be your computer that ya hafta start with a hand crank?

I'm just giving ya a hard time.  It's an rc plane that looks like Superman.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

1/05/2022 8:51 pm  #81

Zeppelins are aircraft...

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

2/27/2022 1:37 pm  #82

2/27/2022 1:49 pm  #83

I saw that once.
I was sitting in the garden with binoculars as it was a warm, sunny afternoon and Red Kites and Buzzards often soar in the late afternoon as thermals build up in those conditions.
There was a conspicuous absence of birds of prey that afternoon but I did see the mighty beast of an aircraft instead.
It was en-route to East Midlands airport in order to collect a number of jet engines.
The airport is close to the Rolls-Royce aero engine plant.

4/03/2022 6:31 pm  #84

Olde but still strong...

4/03/2022 7:00 pm  #85

4/25/2022 1:02 pm  #86

Hey remember the big ol' fork in the road?

Here's GrandCherokeeOne @ The Fork in The Road:

Well, there's now a matching knife elsewhere in the county:

Now, I told ya that to tell ya this:  On the same site as the knife (which is from the same set of utensils as the fork; ya can tell cuz of the way that they are...) there is a new addition to the artwork of my fair county.

A wind vane:

And yes, I said wind vane, the glider changes direction according to the wind.  It's right around 25, maybe 30 feet, wingtip to wingtip.

Last edited by TheNeverWas (4/25/2022 1:03 pm)

5/09/2022 2:24 am  #87

Only the French could come up with this beauty...

5/13/2022 8:44 am  #88

Re: SAB AB-20

Even the wheel chocks are weird. Good lord it just keeps getting more horrible the longer you look at the picture.

5/13/2022 1:37 pm  #89

It looks like someone put wings and props on a building from the 20s

5/14/2022 11:23 am  #90

*gasp*
Lurker extraordinaire!

I'm glad you posted, nerdracer. Welcome to the cellar, even though you've clearly already been around a while.

5/14/2022 11:34 am  #91

Fun useless factoid:
My great grandfather was an ambidextrous gold beater. He lived in NYC. Might have made a good drummer, I suppose.

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Zeppelins are aircraft...

Hey! That's me up there!

5/14/2022 11:37 am  #92

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Only the French could come up with this beauty...

Looks like a Bruce McCall design

Hey! That's me up there!

5/14/2022 11:42 am  #93

TheNeverWas wrote:

Well, it's a popular website, so it's prolly not a problem on their end.  Also, the link works for me.
Could it be your computer that ya hafta start with a hand crank?

I'm just giving ya a hard time.  It's an rc plane that looks like Superman.

Jesus. I thought it was an actual kid and I was wondering how they'd get enough lift. Then I thought they were prnking him and just going to let him drop to the ground. Finally, I was dumbfounded (dumb being the operative descriptor) that he's fly without even a helmet.
Also thought the noise was too puny for an engine to be able to give lift to a teenage.

Hey! That's me up there!

5/14/2022 7:44 pm  #94

The US Navy High Hats...

5/20/2022 4:09 am  #95

Every once in awhile this or a similar picture shows up...

5/28/2022 8:24 pm  #96

I saw something the other night that I think said that another Antonov AN-225 Mriya will be built.

7/14/2022 5:41 pm  #97

The RAF has a bit of a sticky situation. A sticky wicket?

The hot weather has melted the flight line at a key RAF base in Lincolnshire, impacting flying training for pilots, Sky News understands.
An RAF spokesperson, however, insisted that flying training had not been affected.
An informed source told Sky News that officials at RAF Cranwell had been "dragging tar around" on their boots and even on the wheels of the Phenom and Prefect training aircraft since the start of the summer as the tarmac on the ground softened in the sunshine.
The situation at the flight line - the area where aircraft are serviced, parked and prepared for use - became so grave in the heat on Monday that flights were halted, according to the source.

8/21/2022 11:41 pm  #98

A Jap bomber painted white with green crosses...

8/31/2022 10:57 pm  #99

The Princess...

9/24/2022 3:01 am  #100

Small "shithole" countries have been left out of the muscle flexing for too long.
Now they can war on their own scale.

Board footera