cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/10/2023 6:22 pm  #1

Struggling to feel compassion

I'm certainly not surprised.        Nassar stabbed

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

7/10/2023 9:16 pm  #2

Re: Struggling to feel compassion

got eem.. I like how it said prison "fight"

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

7/10/2023 9:24 pm  #3

yeah I have a feeling not so much

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

7/10/2023 10:19 pm  #4

Flint wrote:

I'm surprised they didn't use altercation or quarrel.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

7/10/2023 10:31 pm  #5

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Flint wrote:

I'm surprised they didn't use altercation or quarrel.

multiple times might not be by the same perp.  I really really try not to wish/embrace evil things for evil people..... but I'm human (allegedly) And atheist so....I mean I don't/didn't wish this for him, but...  the angel of outrage is not sitting on my shouldler right now  e lived.  maybe he got a tenny-tiny glimpse of how violation feels.... but I doubt it

7/10/2023 11:24 pm  #6

Multiple? Was good enough for Julius Caesar.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

7/11/2023 11:29 am  #7

Good, this is an act of justice 

Litteraly on fire 

7/12/2023 5:54 pm  #8

Couldn't have happened to nicer guy.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

7/12/2023 7:44 pm  #9

I wonder if the stabby things were clean.....

7/17/2023 3:21 pm  #10

hopefuly not

Litteraly on fire 

7/18/2023 5:52 am  #11

Some crimes are begging for a shit covered shiv.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

7/18/2023 6:51 am  #12

I believe that people that sexually abuse people and animals should die slowly and painfully.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

7/18/2023 7:07 am  #13

On the other hand, I think prisons have a responsibility to keep their inmates safe from violence.

7/18/2023 5:32 pm  #14

Perhaps in theory they do, but they do not do that in reality 

Litteraly on fire 

7/18/2023 5:33 pm  #15

That is how it should be, but as monster said is a struggle to feel compassion for a serial abuser.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

7/18/2023 11:23 pm  #16

But why should you have compassion for unrelenting evil. Evil should be punished. 

Litteraly on fire 

7/18/2023 11:47 pm  #17

But this punishment doesn't undo the crime or make the victims better ...and in cases such as this, is any punishment going to help someone learn and become an acceptable member o society?  If not, then what's the point?  But then the alternative would be the DP.  And that's a whole different kettle of fishiness

Last edited by monster (7/18/2023 11:49 pm)

7/19/2023 11:54 am  #18

This person is never going to be any kind of member of society, because they're never getting out. So it's not a balance between punishment and rehabilitation, is it? Do we have a goal of rehabilitating people who are serving life sentences, as an act of humanity towards that individual, or is rehabilitation intended only to benefit the rest of us?

7/19/2023 12:42 pm  #19

Or, as a third option, is rehabilitation simply helpful to the people who actually have to run the prisons? Can a rehabilitated life-sentence inmate still serve as a good example to others, or at least not try to shiv everyone all the time?

7/19/2023 12:59 pm  #20

You can only rehabilitate people that are capable of it. Serial sex offenders have are never successfully rehabilitate, same with serial killers. The death penalty for such crimes might be warranted. 

Litteraly on fire 

7/19/2023 8:07 pm  #21

I also struggle to condone the DP.  I just ...can't be ok with it

7/19/2023 8:42 pm  #22

You don't have to feel compassion for an individual prisoner to decry the state of the prison.  They are not the only person there.

7/19/2023 11:11 pm  #23

fair point

7/20/2023 6:38 am  #24

Clodfobble wrote:

Or, as a third option, is rehabilitation simply helpful to the people who actually have to run the prisons? Can a rehabilitated life-sentence inmate still serve as a good example to others, or at least not try to shiv everyone all the time?

This is also helpful in maintaining the humanity of the prison guards whose mental states / attitudes leak into the surrounding community.

7/20/2023 12:26 pm  #25

Nice discussion.

I think "being okay" with "extra awfulness" in the prison system is a bad impulse that we're not sufficiently motivated to question.

Like Jack Handey said in Deep Thoughts,
"Whenever I see an old lady slip
and fall on a wet sidewalk,
my first instinct is to laugh.
But then I think,
what if I was an ant,
and she fell on me.
Then it wouldn’t seem quite so funny."

The "old lady" is some criminal we don't care about, and actively wish "extra" harm to befall. The ant is some guy serving a life sentence for selling an ounce of weed, a decade too early for that to be considered entrepreneurship. Or anyone doing anything the state deems a "criminal act" which last I checked could be "anything someone else doesn't like"

Human Rights for prisoners are Human Rights for all of us, all it takes is one bad roll of the dice for us to go down screaming, "Wait! This wasn't supposed to happen to ME!"

Board footera