cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/26/2023 6:03 am  #1

Futurama reboot

I am pleased

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

7/26/2023 1:21 pm  #2

Re: Futurama reboot

One can hope they will do better than the last reboot season. 

Litteraly on fire 

7/26/2023 3:17 pm  #3

My expectations are very tempered, but I'm glad they're doing it.

I've watched every part of the series dozens of times over, but I definitely favor the writing chops of the pre-reboot, "smartest nerds from the Simpsons writers' room" seasons.

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

8/07/2023 4:08 pm  #4

It has been surprisingly good 

Litteraly on fire 

9/19/2023 12:46 pm  #5

toranokaze wrote:

It has been surprisingly good 

I'm still trying to figure out if Bender is good or evil. I guess it depends on his mood.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

9/19/2023 2:50 pm  #6

I'd say Bender's alignment is.. Chaotic Neutral.?

9/19/2023 6:25 pm  #7

Flint wrote:

I'd say Bender's alignment is.. Chaotic Neutral.?

I'll buy that. Chaotic for sure, but a great lay according to Amy Wong.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

11/22/2023 4:06 pm  #8

Futurama's new episodes veered, tragically, into the boring realm of "let's point out current issues in an obvious, un-offensive way, like we're Southpark with no balls"

Scene: the writer's room.
Hulu-bot: Quick! Blurt out the top ten issues that every person has heard of!
Intern recently hired as a writer: Getting cancelled!
Hulu-bot: DO AN EPISODE ABOUT "GETTING CANCELLED"

In the last episode of the new run, they did a legitimate science fiction story, a summary of the current fiction tropes relating to "simulation theory" --a subject that has taken it's place in the pantheon of science fiction tropes, alongside "galactic civilizations," "time travel," and "what if Philip K. Dick or something."

Their simulation theory episode was a good treatment of the subject and I appreciated that they made an episode that wasn't about horrible shit from the news that we all want to forget about.

footnotes:

One of the creators of the cyberpunk genre felt that subjects like "galactic civilizations," and "time travel" had been done to death. I can't remember who exactly that was.. anybody know that reference?

My own work started based in Simulation Theory, but I've tried to move away from that being a central theme, because it's become a mainstream trope-- case in point, the subject of a Futurama reboot episode.

My deepest interest has always been in "what if Philip K. Dick or something" of which this website says is:

Dick has said his writings revolve around two questions:

What is reality?
    What does it mean to be human?

I've been trying to sum up what my story is about in one sentence, and what P.K.D. says here is the same as my own conclusion. In the list of 'conflict types' like 'man vs man,' 'man vs society,' etc. I believe the most interesting are 'man vs God' / 'man vs reality' or-- 'man vs the narrative he is contained within'

Last edited by Flint (11/22/2023 4:38 pm)

Board footera