cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/28/2023 9:47 pm  #1

Truly Stupid People

We're all stupid in one way or another, things we don't know, 
things we never heard of, things we don't believe, etc.
But this man and two women are in a league of their own...

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

9/29/2023 6:47 pm  #2

Re: Truly Stupid People

He was king of the chaves 

Litteraly on fire 

9/29/2023 6:57 pm  #3

toranokaze wrote:

He was king of the chaves 

Chaves? The only thing I see is a city in Portugal.

9/29/2023 7:18 pm  #4

I'm guessing he meant chavs. British slang:  A young person who wears fashionable sportswear or flashy jewelry but is regarded as badly behaved or as having lower-class taste.

10/01/2023 10:20 pm  #5

Chavs.  But they generally don't have jobs.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

10/03/2023 12:10 pm  #6

some do some don't 

Litteraly on fire 

11/01/2023 9:25 pm  #7

OK, I'm one of those cave men, uh cave persons who carries and uses cash. Even worse I use $2 bills..
Boo hiss from business owners gallery. Wait, put down the torches and pitchforks, I very rarely buy things with them, I use them for tips.
At hotels the maid finds three pristine, uncirculated, consecutive serial numbered $2 bills. The next day the next three serial numbers, for as long as I'm there.
The best is the reaction from people who don't expect anything.
I had a blood test last month, and I don't know if the phlebotomist was having a bad day or she's normally brusk  but as I was leaving I slipped her a couple $2's and she lit up a smile that could serve as a lighthouse. I think I made her day and I know it made mine.

Get to the point. I got some Tis-the-Season catalogs in the mail and the PBS catalog had a couple legal tender $2 bills that had been altered with colored pictures. One was the 150th anniversary of Yellowstone NP, and the other was the former Queen and current King of England. They were saying they're still legal tender but I know if they were spent/turned in they would be destroyed, not stay in circulation. Of course if you spend $30 to buy one you're not likely to spend it. I wondered if other people were selling these or other bills like them so Googling we go.
Boy howdy are they ever, but scrolling down one place I got a bigger surprise. There are dozens of people who sell US paper currency, Not the $500 priced $10 bill rarer than hens teeth, just normal everyday notes.
First they show normal 100 note packets I buy but that's not what they're selling

I didn't get into the other denominations I was having enough trouble getting my head around the $2's.

I also noticed several sites with variable pricing depending how you paid. Here's two of them...

Most of the sellers claim to have sold a lot of packages.
I can understand Grandma/Grandpa want 5 $2 bills for the grandkids Xmas stockings.
Maybe the bank teller brushed them off. But there is a lot of stupid people if the sales claims are half true.

11/02/2023 11:18 am  #8

I like to use $1 coins. There are several different kinds and they get about the same scrutiny as $2 bills (which I also use).
The coins don't work in almost all coin machines.
TSP (see topic heading) resist such things, in which I include all the metal in my pocket that England has cured by even paper bill pricing and tax protocol.

11/03/2023 9:21 am  #9

It was once said phony as a two dollar bill.  The expression is now phony as a three dollar bill.

Last edited by tw (11/03/2023 9:23 am)

11/08/2023 3:00 pm  #10

From tw's $2 bill link...
"In this time of change in the upper echelons of government, it's important for senior officials to be able to read even the slightest indication, no matter how subtle, to determine where they stand on the presidential firmament."
Bullshit, quite worrying about the firmament and get the damn job done.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (11/08/2023 3:00 pm)

Board footera