cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/16/2023 10:52 pm  #1

Attention

If there is one word that is the most important.....

You are your attention.

So what is attention?

You think lots of thoughts.  You feel all of the feels.  Which do you pay attention to?

You build yourself out of information you've acquired while living your life.  You, being the concept you have of yourself.  Your self.

The self is your ego.

The attention you give it determines the power of has over you.

If you identify strongly with yourself, your who is in charge.

If you understand that the choice of where your attention is focused resides in a level removed from your thinking mind, you can be free from the constant narrative of those thoughts.  You can just be.

It's so easy, and so difficult.

10/17/2023 6:23 am  #2

Re: Attention

This is a good reminder. It's interesting how we drift back into habits of thought which cause us to waste our precious time here.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

10/17/2023 12:56 pm  #3

I've spent the last year intensively attacking the weak points of my illustration skills, fleshing out the world-building and character motivations of a sprawling story that incorporates all of my special interests, and spending every other waking moment cramming my head full of a spectrum of long-form video essays ranging from hard science to philosophy/esoterica to proto-mythology. When I get stalled out on illustration, I focus on writing. When I'm not motivated to move in a direction with either, I just absorb facts until it triggers a new idea. We're living in an age of miracles, with every kind of information available at our fingertips.

I'm not going to live forever, but while I'm here, I want to make something.

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

10/17/2023 2:30 pm  #4

Can we see some samples Please?

I Love my country, I fear the government.

10/18/2023 6:27 am  #5

I'm excited to see your universe.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

10/18/2023 9:34 am  #6

Take that banana out of your pocket.

10/18/2023 10:09 am  #7

The goal of guided/directed self improvement is the quickest way to make yourself nuts.
Once is a while you'll get a kick from the frosting but deep down you know the cupcake beneath is half baked.
Nobody can disappoint you like you can.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

10/18/2023 6:08 pm  #8

Some sketches.. basically going from "pencils" (whiteboard), skipping inks and going into coloring
using Paint.net --to make a "paper doll" for playing with color choices, or other finishing effects.

..going for 90s comics mashed up with manga/anime aesthetic..
These are 30-minute sketches-- penciled and mastered but skipping "inking" the line work.
Working on composing the dynamics of the motion within the frame, dramatic/spooky lighting, etc.

10/18/2023 6:10 pm  #9

Anybody have any tips on "wiki" software? I need to put my story ideas into a wiki so they can be relationally linked and cross-referenced.

10/18/2023 9:32 pm  #10

I've used a pretty old version of Trac, and it's pretty good.  Probably a lot more features now.

10/19/2023 11:55 am  #11

Flint that is awesome.

10/19/2023 12:38 pm  #12

fargon wrote:

Flint that is awesome.

Thank you. It's hard to describe but I'm pulling in a million different directions at once, some days working on page/frame composition, anatomy, perspective, or sometimes the finishing techniques-- how lines, shading, and color are rendered, and always-- the process, how to be efficient, how to produce a consistent style with the least steps.

Probably the most important thing of all is, what does a human face look like?
This whiteboard sketch captured something I have been striving for-- the "pretty villain"
..and the other one is a little more rendered.. but the eyes just doen't capture that disdainful thousand-yard stare..
..I think, on the first one, it's the cheeks *pushing up* into the eyes, and the thickness of the line weight under the eyes

Sorry for the thread hi-jack. But this is where my attention has been. It beats playing solitaire.

I'm trying to write an elevator pitch for my story, should I post that here or start a new thread?
It's actually really helpful to try to explain it to someone, it organizes my thoughts.

Last edited by Flint (10/19/2023 12:47 pm)

10/20/2023 7:35 am  #13

fargon wrote:

Flint that is awesome.

I'm with him! By tradition once a thread is set free it's life is it's own.

10/20/2023 11:07 am  #14

griff wrote:

fargon wrote:

Flint that is awesome.

I'm with him! By tradition once a thread is set free it's life is it's own.

Concur.

10/20/2023 11:12 am  #15

Do you have a vision when you start, or do you just start drawing and allow the drawing to just take shape on its own?

10/20/2023 5:04 pm  #16

glatt wrote:

Do you have a vision when you start, or do you just start drawing and allow the drawing to just take shape on its own?

This is a really interesting question. When drawing, I'm either working on something like anatomy, OR-- I'm just drawing something "cool" and letting it take on a life of it's own. This is the childish, curious mind in me, doodling, exploring.

So I have visual ideas that were not part of any plan-- I don't know who they are. So I either assign them to a character I'm writing, or now I've got new character that hasn't taken shape yet. My son calls it the "slush pile" --a storehouse of loosely formed ideas that can be brought into the main continuity when you need a thing.

I can't separate the drawing from the writing-- they  feed each other. When writing, it's mostly, "what would cause or necessitate a condition" or "if a certain condition exists, what would happen as a result of that" --answering questions. This is science fiction, I have to stay educated, able to produce realistic answers to hypotheticals. But there's this other element to writing, that "people" come into existence, whom I haven't learned about yet. They exist only as an image.

How it started was, I started following bodybuilding (again) a couple of years ago, and thinking that these anatomical references could make great superhero reference (again). This is what I was doing 30 years ago (Silver Surfer = Ron Lim drawing Flex Wheeler).

But I needed a reason to draw-- who am I drawing, and why? I need a story. I started writing a story which spun out of scope, into something I struggled to have confidence in my ability to draw. So my drawing had to catch up to my writing. Now, they chase each other. And I'm approaching being able to produce finished works, but I'm coming at it from two opposite directions. I'm like a film director, who is also writing the screenplay, doing the cinematography, the set design, wardrobe, all of it. That's what comics are.

And in reference to your question, the "actors" in the story-- they are real, living beings who are born from a vague, subconscious idea. I try to discover who they are, and find a place for them in the world.

Karl Jung, and later Joseph Campbell had a lot to say about this. I'm coming at that through Philip K. Dick.

11/17/2023 2:51 pm  #17

any thoughts on this guy? what do you think his story is? what's his personality like?

11/17/2023 5:13 pm  #18

He was pretty strong emotionally until he was tested.

11/18/2023 11:48 am  #19

I'd say he recognizes he is lost, as the pink lizard takes over his body from (his) right to left.

11/19/2023 3:55 am  #20

He doesn't realize his ideas, philosophy, of being strong and defending his goals against outside influences can be self defeating.
Bend like the willow, Grasshopper. Grin like Brad Pitt, it's disarming.
Try to seek a middle ground and if that's unsuccessful you've lost nothing but a little time and may save you from a war that's at least costly... possibly deadly.
He's wondering why you drew him instead of some sultry siren. What horrendous trials await? 

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

11/19/2023 8:46 am  #21

Flint wrote:

any thoughts on this guy? what do you think his story is?

Some girl told him to get lost.  That never happened before.

11/29/2023 6:15 pm  #22

cool cool cool

this next guy I've been developing for a while, but hit on this idea of "scales" ..
..rounding out a "chimera" look-- with the lion's mane and goat's horns

I'm also working towards a process for a "finished" look.. not really my string suit. ..these colors are just one layer of flats and one "multiply" layer of gradients,
both tied to one reference line layer (a separate set of lines from the original whiteboard lines, which are there in the details)
(and the background, that's 100% aimless noodling)

Last edited by Flint (11/29/2023 6:19 pm)

11/29/2023 6:25 pm  #23

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

He doesn't realize his ideas, philosophy, of being strong and defending his goals against outside influences can be self defeating.

This is really good. When I look at his expression, it makes me think of Leone Abbacchio

(He was a cop who refued to take bribes. He took a bribe from a thief. Later he and his partner respond to a call, he sees the same thief.
The guy says you should let me go or everyone will know you take bribes. While Abbacchio is distracted, the thief is pulling a gun..)

Before he could shoot Abbacchio, Abbacchio's partner burst in, shooting the man, but also getting shot in Abbacchio's place. Abbacchio was punished and discharged for having accepted a bribe. More than that, however, the fact that his partner died because of his corruption would haunt Abbacchio.

He lost his life's purpose, seemingly unable to find any form of happiness or other great emotion. At some point, Abbacchio would join Passione, working under Bruno Bucciarati. From then on, he was only ever happy when he received a mission of high importance because it allowed him to forget everything else.

Last edited by Flint (11/29/2023 6:38 pm)

11/29/2023 8:58 pm  #24

yeah I'm loving this design

12/21/2023 2:01 pm  #25

this whole guy happened yesterday.. no idea, but I think he's a bundle of copper wires

Board footera