cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/04/2023 10:55 pm  #1

Specialness Spiral

OMG Guilty your Honor, more that once...

The Specialness Spiral
For illustration say I have a washer... like nut and bolt washer.
I can get more at the hardware store. Hell, Amazon will bring them to my door.
Not uncommon, ½" hole but the OD is larger than normal, less likely to damage anything.
And it's brass so it won't rust and stain things.
Now I'm putting something together and need a ½" washer.
Nah, this is too nice a washer for this job I'll dig out another one.
Next job same thing, too nice, save it for a job worthy of my special washer.
Rinse and repeat many times.
Now my view of this once ordinary washer, is my precious belongs in the Smithsonian.

It can happen to kitchen utensils, paperclips, any and all the stuff in your junk drawer.
The socks you'll wear for a special occasion, package of tennis /golf balls. Pens!
It's not really hording, it's just not wasting that special washer. LoL

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

12/05/2023 5:25 am  #2

Re: Specialness Spiral

I'm trying to use the "special" stuff. We used to keep the fancy crystal glasses that were a wedding gift from my MiL for birthdays, festivals and other celebrations. We now use them every weekend. But we need to up our drinking game as we're only using the red wine glasses (and have broken two in 18 years of marriage) and champagne flutes, but we also have whisky glasses, highball glasses, brandy balloons, port/sherry glasses (six of each). We have no-one to leave this shit to, after all.
Same with "special" clothes - I've only got a limited amount of time left to enjoy wearing them so I should just wear them!

Living life on the edge.

12/05/2023 11:35 am  #3

We also reserve words for special occasions.

"Fuck you."

Last edited by tw (12/05/2023 11:35 am)

12/06/2023 7:07 am  #4

We've been getting rid of that kind of stuff. LPs and CDs come to mind, for years they took up shelf space here and never got used no way was I going to haul them to a new house.They were cool but not useful.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/06/2023 7:58 am  #5

For the last month, I've been flipping through my old Fine Woodworking back issues before I go to sleep.  It had been so long since I last looked at them, they all seemed new to me.  And it was cool to see how they recycle content every couple years, and the tool fashions that came and went.  I'll probably put them back on the shelf when I'm done.

12/06/2023 11:33 am  #6

Recycling:  ME TV, Heroes and Icons, Antenna TV, Grit, Start TV, Fave, Cozi, Comet, and Get TV.  I had no idea of so many cowboy movies existed that I had never seen.  Or forget that I had seen them.

12/06/2023 11:42 am  #7

Man, I love the back covers of Fine Woodworking.

12/10/2023 2:37 am  #8

Hmm... note to self, when trashing all those fine woodworking magazines save the back covers. heh heh heh

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera