cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/26/2023 1:05 am  #1

FBI Needs Help

The internet has given crooks a bigger pond to fish in, and lots of suckers in it.
Most of the people who get taken say "I never thought it would happen to me"
Maybe it was that feeling that let them be fooled. There are cases where they get past the firewall.
Sometimes they can steal enough info to rob your bank or investments.
Some times the encrypt your files and hold them for ransom or blackmail with threats to publish your files.
BUT, an awful lot of thieves talk people into giving information they should never reveal.
They pose as government, bank, IRS, Ups/Fedex, Amazon, etc. When in doubt, don't.
The FBI wants information about any suspicious activities at https://www.ic3.gov/

I found them very friendly and helpful, they seemed grateful when I gave them your name.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

12/26/2023 8:38 am  #2

Re: FBI Needs Help

Explains the ghost of J. Edgar on my porch last night.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/26/2023 5:30 pm  #3

To see a potential sucker, watch so many who even buy coffee with a credit card. Or even worse, a debit card.

1/16/2024 7:06 pm  #4

tw wrote:

To see a potential sucker, watch so many who even buy coffee with a credit card.

Not necessarily. We have a card on which we earn points. That card also charges no interest as long as we pay off at the end of each month. Which we do.

1/17/2024 10:50 am  #5

I've been impressed with Apple Pay on my phone and accompanying credit card.  I feel like the facial recognition at the point of purchase is a great feature.  Add to that the 5% earning on rewards earned and banked in the reward savings account, and it's pretty appealing. That's more than my bank pays.

And when we went to Scotland, it was the only payment method that did not charge a foreign transaction fee that is standard with credit cards today. That probably saved us $50-$100 in fees for all the hotels and meals out those two weeks.

I am leery of Apple, however the the multiple slight advantages of it have me convinced.

The only downside is that it is so easy to just pay with a phone that I wonder if I even know what I am spending.  Pull out my phone, double click the side button, hold it up to my face for a split second, and bring my phone to the reader, and I am out the door.  Magic. 

1/17/2024 10:55 am  #6

Pete Zicato wrote:

Not necessarily. We have a card on which we earn points. That card also charges no interest as long as we pay off at the end of each month. Which we do.

Do you keep and verify those receipts?  Major profits are obtained by simply adding small charges to accounts.  When unverified charges go undetected, then the next step is to move in on information attached to that card.  A slow and successful process also called ID theft.  A problem created by constantly using electronic transactions when every transaction is unverified when the bill arrives.  Recepts are necessary at the end of the month.

Last edited by tw (1/17/2024 10:56 am)

2/13/2024 7:23 pm  #7

tw wrote:

Do you keep and verify those receipts?

Not me. I don't have the patience for that. But Mrs. Z does — every month when the bills come in. It's one of many things that make our marriage work. She's good at the stuff I'm not and vice versa. We make a good team.

2/13/2024 8:46 pm  #8

Pete Zicato wrote:

tw wrote:

Do you keep and verify those receipts?

Not me. I don't have the patience for that. But Mrs. Z does — every month when the bills come in. It's one of many things that make our marriage work. She's good at the stuff I'm not and vice versa. We make a good team.

Same with Keryx and I.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

Board footera