cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/11/2024 8:10 am  #1

Just a Friendly Reminder

Have you ever taken this phrase as friendly?

Have you ever taken the phrase "Just a Friendly Reminder" as friendly?

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/11/2024 9:08 am  #2

Re: Just a Friendly Reminder

20 minutes ago I wrote an email to a client "This is a kind reminder that..[blah blah blah]." because they haven't signed a legal document that is of some importance to them. And I really meant it kindly, because I work for them, and they really did need a reminder.

"Just a friendly reminder" is virtually always used by someone who thinks they are an authority, and if it grates a little, it's probably because they actually are an authority to us and we resent them for it.  But how else are they going to lay down the law for whatever the thing is.  Would "Hear Ye, Hear Ye, Let it be known that..." be better?

1/11/2024 9:13 am  #3

There's one of these signs over the toilet in the men's room at work.  It should say "If the automatic toilet didn't flush, push the damn flush button."  But is has some sort of friendly reminder sign instead.  It amuses me.

1/11/2024 11:24 am  #4

On a sign, I'd say extremely passive-aggressive and annoying. In an email, presumably the person is genuinely reminding me of something I've not done for them yet, so it doesn't bother me.

1/11/2024 3:33 pm  #5

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

1/11/2024 4:58 pm  #6

It's one of those weird phrases, like when someone announces, "I'm gonna be honest.."

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

1/11/2024 10:47 pm  #7

With all due respect, this is just a a friendly reminder that um I forgot.

I tend to start "friendly reminder" emails   with
"I noticed that"  [you fucked this up]
followed by
I have attached a [friendly reminder pdf] to help you [understand how to not fuck up again] thank you

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/12/2024 1:54 pm  #8

brutal

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

1/12/2024 4:12 pm  #9

Last year our entire organization received a Friendly Reminder email about getting a bunch of paperwork signed by our clients  after being told that said paperwork would be done electronically by the office from here on out. There was also a threat to withhold mileage payments which seems kinda you know illegal. 

The friendly trigger was an email Pete was copied on early this week which although directed elsewhere wasn't received well. Fortunately, the remindist as of yesterday is below Pete on the flow chart. Now she can send reminders of varying brutality.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/13/2024 8:54 am  #10

Clodfobble wrote:

On a sign, I'd say extremely passive-aggressive and annoying. In an email, presumably the person is genuinely reminding me of something I've not done for them yet, so it doesn't bother me.

That's probably because you actually complete tasks, unlike some of us!

1/13/2024 2:08 pm  #11

"I enter each day with clear and open eyes"
Get the fuck outta here, you're lying or got great drugs.
What you claim to be doing is not normal, not human, is animalistic, an affront to Starbucks.
You're saying you jump out of bed like a 6 year old on Christmas morning... every day.
Pshaw, but I digress.
The "friendly reminder" varies. From an actual friend my response would be, "Yeah, I know" for something I'd done or planned to do shortly. For something I'd forgotten (likely these days), "Oh right, thanks".
From others I deal with regularly like the mailman or store clerk it depends on tone.
In an email it depends on if its someone who tries to be the boss of me, or someone trying to be helpful and not be authoritative. 
Bottom line, depends on who it's from.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/13/2024 5:18 pm  #12

A friendly reminder email is like a courtesy call from debt collectors

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/16/2024 6:57 pm  #13

tw wrote:

Sign, sign, everywhere a sign
Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?

There's an oldie. I remember hearing it on my tabletop AM radio.

1/16/2024 6:59 pm  #14

Just a friendly reminder is in the same vicinity as "We appreciate your patience".

4/19/2024 12:10 am  #15

It is just another form of passive aggressiveness.

Litteraly on fire 

Board footera