cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/13/2024 12:19 am  #1

Technology has discovered something fishy

Global Fishing Watch checking 2 million gigabytes of satellite data from 2017 to 2021 found 72% to 76% of the fishing boats
are untracked, unregulated, and catch unreported.

They could separate out commercial shipping, oil platform service, and other boats, from fishing boats.
They don’t say if they could separate 3 or 4 guys chasing  trophy Swordfish/Sailfish from guys dragging nets on the bottom for everything. 
I suspect there's damn few of the former and lots of the latter. 

There are a lot of unknowns, a huge bunch of unknowns they didn’t even know existed. 
But they discovered an average of 20 boats a week enter the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park.
In addition to 5 boats a week in Galapagos Marine Reserve. 
It's a pretty safe bet they don't have a handle on fish stock depletion.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/satellite-maps-reveal-rampant-fishing-untracked-dark-vessels-oceans-180983539/

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/13/2024 8:44 am  #2

Re: Technology has discovered something fishy

How far out is complete collapse? I'm in the middle of a book about our Eastern forests losing trees like ash, chestnut, and sugar maple. I'm starting to think a little regulation is in order. Maybe the anti-Vaxx movement will help the numbers game.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/13/2024 1:56 pm  #3

There must be a whole bunch of places that are close to collapse.
Protein for 8 billion humans is a hard order to fill.

1/13/2024 4:28 pm  #4

Protein is no problem, Soylent Green is loaded with it. 

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera