cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/19/2024 5:25 pm  #1

2024?

Adrien Book on Hackernoon
Into the Future: 24 Tech Predictions Shaping 2024

1. Threads wins the social media wars
2. Social media gets away with it
3. TikTok overwhelms Hollywood and Netflix
4. Meta purchases Snap
5. Countries try to balkanize the internet
6. We find out CCP has been using TikTok to destabilize the West
7. Battery Tech becomes front-page news
8. Crypto sneaks back in through the identity door
9. Memeland revives Web3
10. Ketamine Ravages Silicon Valley
11. VR & AR headsets become mass market (thanks to Apple)
12. Voice-first apps become integral to our lives
13. AI anchors become a waiting-room staple
14. People fall in love with AIs
15. Apple pulls a privacy spin on AI
16. Spotify creates AI music
17. Bad actors use AI to meddle in global democracy
18. Studios create AI-first games that never end
19. AI hangover hurts companies
20. Outcome-based solutions become the norm
21. We talk more about AI’s environmental cost
22. Michael Lewis writes a book about Sam Altman
23. War tech becomes civilian
24. Hope stays alive

You can read a paragraph on two explaining each prediction at
https://hackernoon.com/into-the-future-24-tech-predictions-shaping-2024?ref=hackernoon.com

Or listen to the audio at that site.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/20/2024 9:07 pm  #2

Re: 2024?

1. Threads wins the social media wars... Not a chance

3. TikTok overwhelms Hollywood and Netflix... Overwhelms in what way? I can't speak to total revenue, but I'm certain no one will be posting full TV series on TikTok.

5. Countries try to balkanize the internet... This is already a thing for the numerous countries who restrict internet access inside their borders

6. We find out CCP has been using TikTok to destabilize the West... We already know they're doing this

11. VR & AR headsets become mass market (thanks to Apple)... Considering Mr. Clod just purchased a sunglasses-style VR gadget that puts your computer screen right in front of your eyes, and has been using it most days, I'd have to say yes.

18. Studios create AI-first games that never end... Procedurally-generated endless games already exist, and procedural generation works a thousand times better than AI when it comes to games. People will try to HYPE a game as being AI-generated--I personally already know studios that are doing this, in order to secure VC funding from people who like buzzwords and don't understand the difference--but anyone who looks under the hood (and understands what they're looking at) will recognize it as procedural generation.

20. Outcome-based solutions become the norm... It's a nice dream, but IMHO monetary interests will always outweigh outcomes.

23. War tech becomes civilian... I mean, is that not what AR-15s already are?

24. Hope stays alive... Absolutely, if for no other reason than young people are always hopeful, and we're always making more young people while the hopeless, jaded old people are always dying.

1/27/2024 1:56 am  #3

Re: 2024?

Clodfobble wrote:

3. TikTok overwhelms Hollywood and Netflix... Overwhelms in what way? I can't speak to total revenue, but I'm certain no one will be posting full TV series on TikTok. I think drawing(and creating) short attention span viewers away from anything longer than 5 minutes. Think kids during love scenes.

5. Countries try to balkanize the internet... This is already a thing for the numerous countries who restrict internet access inside their borders Yes, Billy told me he can't get his Gmail account in China

11. VR & AR headsets become mass market (thanks to Apple)... Considering Mr. Clod just purchased a sunglasses-style VR gadget that puts your computer screen right in front of your eyes, and has been using it most days, I'd have to say yes. Yes, and it's so annoying when you're trying to watch a cartoon or send an email then some inconsiderate cyclist bounces off your windshield.

20. Outcome-based solutions become the norm... It's a nice dream, but IMHO monetary interests will always outweigh outcomes. But isn't stealing the gold an outcome? a desirable at all costs one for many?

23. War tech becomes civilian... I mean, is that not what AR-15s already are? No, the AR is just part of the continuing evolution of the rifle that's been going on forever, just like cars and appliances. The AR is the longer, lower, wider model.That said, I think they should come down hard on full auto conversion pieces for sale on the web, and I see no practical use for 30 round magazines. But this is opinion, and there are many more. I see Wayne LaPierre is stepping down as head of the NRA. Maybe they'll be more reasonable. Bwahahahahaha.

24. Hope stays alive... Absolutely, if for no other reason than young people are always hopeful, and we're always making more young people while the hopeless, jaded old people are always dying. The young people making has slacked, quality too (damn whippersnappers uphill both ways) but yeah they still believe in miracles.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera