cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/10/2024 4:49 am  #1

Biggadaboat

Sharks and Orcas biting there time waiting for the 9,000 body feast to happen, all nostalgic over Titanic and WWII.
Might be some Giant Squid in the peanut gallery too.
The buffet tables are getting bigger...

Probably any ship has a couple people chumming over the rail which tease the fishies.

7,500 "guests" plus 2000+ crew... yum yum.

Not my cup of tea but a lot of people rave about it.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

2/10/2024 1:02 pm  #2

2/10/2024 2:51 pm  #3

Re: Biggadaboat

Captain for Norwegian lines on one of their early 2000 ships talks about the latest (largest) cruise ships.   Being so large and high, they are less stable in bad weather.  Must be limited to venues such as the Caribbean.  Cannot go in places such as the Antarctica and Gulf of Alaska.  Where weather can change quickly.  Says why he likes his ship so much better.

We are discussing ships with 9,000 or 10,000 people aboard.   Once upon a time, the Titanic, Gigantic, and Britannic were once considered monsters.  Just a matter of time before something catastrophic (ie terrorism, missile, etc) strikes one of these new monsters.

That really would not be so much tragic.  Just a fact of life. Something that does eventually happen.

2/10/2024 3:32 pm  #4

A terrorist attack on a cruise ship sounds like a great way to piss off everybody. There are tourists from all over the world on those things, they're not even close to being majority American.

2/10/2024 7:00 pm  #5

Does not matter if people in other countries get pissed off.  When they do nothing.

Where is the massive 'piss off' when Russians shot down a Malaysian Airbus killing so many Malaysians, British, Australians, and Dutch?  Putin just denied it.  Nothing happens.

How many got pissed off when the USSR shot down an 747 going to S Korea with so man S Koreans and Americans, Taiwanese, Filipinos, Thai, Canadians, and Hong Kong residents?  Nothing was done.  Russia, only after the Cold War had ended, finally admitted they had recovered the black boxes.  How many got pissed and did something?  No one.

What did Germans do after Palestinians extremists subvert the Berlin Olympics in 1972?  Nothing.

What do extremist do?  Kill innocent people that the perpetrator's nation.  As if that does anything useful.

2/12/2024 12:43 pm  #6

No interest to be on either one.

That large one appears to be trying to increase its number of rooms with window by having cabins face the center atrium of the ship.  They don;t get any sunlight though because the whole atrium is roofed over.  I need to go looking for a floorplan of this thing.  I say floorplan because it looks like floating office building.  And I don't know how you can talk about being above deck on one of these.  There doesn't seem to be a deck, other than balconies. 

Give me a small canal boat in the UK floating through the countryside, and that's the closest I would want to get to one of these things.  Can you get from downtown London to the Falkirk wheel in a canal boat?

2/12/2024 1:08 pm  #7

2/12/2024 2:54 pm  #8

glatt wrote:

Give me a small canal boat in the UK floating through the countryside, and that's the closest I would want to get to one of these things.  Can you get from downtown London to the Falkirk wheel in a canal boat?

While the Forth & Clyde Canal and the Union Canal do (almost) meet at the Falkirk Wheel they don't link up to any other significant canals. You could go down the Thames then around the coast of the UK (clockwise or anti-clockwise), up the Clyde then along the Forth & Clyde Canal to Falkirk. That wouldn't exactly be through countryside though and you'd be braver than me to attempt it in a canal boat.

2/12/2024 4:24 pm  #9

Elon Musk should get on that.  It's the only form of transportation he hasn't tackled yet.

2/12/2024 6:23 pm  #10

glatt wrote:

Elon Musk should get on that.  It's the only form of transportation he hasn't tackled yet.

Musk typically enters an industry when major players there are not innovating.  As was true with the big America rocket manufacturers and a 'we fear to innovate' American car industry.   The battery industry whose 'bunny battery' was developed back in WWII.  Another industry where lithium batteries, developed about 1970 sat ignored.

The American aircraft industry is ripe for someone like Musk.  Now that 20 years of McDonnell Douglas executives have done so much damage to Boeing's commercial aircraft and military aircraft divisions.

2/13/2024 7:11 am  #11

Boeing is an absolute train wreck. I wonder how long it will take to turn back into an engineering company now that it has clearly failed as a profits first outfit?

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/13/2024 11:41 am  #12

It all went downhill after Bruce retired.

2/13/2024 2:45 pm  #13

So he stomped off and took his magic with him.  That could explain it.

2/14/2024 2:16 am  #14

Phil Condit was Boeing CEO, a reward for figuring out the trailing vortexes of the big jets. Boeing was booming and needed more capacity so Condit went to McDonald Douglas to try to rent some space in the CA facility. There he dealt with slick Stonecipher their CEO. He talked Condit into the merger saying McD was mostly military and Boeing mostly commercial, and he could boost Boeing's military end.
Condit being a CEO with bug bucks got a mistress or two and a messy divorce, after which he became a social pariah in the country club social circle. So he said I'll get a new club in Chicago and moved the business away from the engineers, and later the engineers away from the manufacturing. Having them all together was Boeing's strength.
They farmed out parts like interior stuff and tail sections but the always did the wings and controls.
When they built the latest model everything was outsourced around the world even the wings to japan. They've given away all the accumulated knowledge they acquired over the last 100 years.

When I walked away it didn't mean a thing, not a blip on anybody's screen.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

2/14/2024 7:05 am  #15

You mean Jack Welch didn't take my leaving as a warning for GE?

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/15/2024 6:47 pm  #16

griff wrote:

You mean Jack Welch didn't take my leaving as a warning for GE?

Did you cash out before him - for high profits?

2/16/2024 7:29 am  #17

I cashed out for small profits, they sold the plant to BAE, the river took the plant, the city gets a brown field.It's the rust belt living its best life.

Maybe I should write a fake memoir and run for Senate.

Last edited by griff (2/16/2024 7:30 am)

Board footera