cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/24/2024 11:32 am  #1

Rant!!!

The tank top heater that I bought in December, does not fucking work. It won't light, and it is cold outside. 
Why does everything have to be made in fucking china? Instead of the $20.00 plus warranty of $15.00 so I get a new one, So What? I would rather pay 40 or 50 dollars for one Made in America by people that are being paid enough to give a shit about what they are doing. I just want tools that I can depend on
Fuck the Peoples Republic of China!!!
And the Assholes that send our jobs overseas.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

3/24/2024 1:08 pm  #2

Re: Rant!!!

With stuff like that, you have to buy two of them; so, you'll have a backup when one fails. If it's something you depend on and it won't break the bank, a second one will allow you to carry on while the first one is being repaired or replaced.
I have backups; or, alternate means stored away for a lot of things with which doing without at an inopportune time would cause considerable aggravation. That's just the way it is nowadays since fewer things on the market are dependable.

3/24/2024 3:13 pm  #3

But Wouldn't need a backup if the device was built correctly in the first place.

3/24/2024 3:22 pm  #4

For stuff that’s built correctly in the first place, you have to check the label and make sure it says “Made in the 1950s.” 

3/24/2024 4:30 pm  #5

How much more money does a billionaire need. Profits are important , but the extra pennies you get from selling crap is not worth it.

3/24/2024 4:30 pm  #6

fargon wrote:

Why does everything have to be made in fucking china?  

Why is that not obvious to everyone.  In every case, jobs go overseas because business school graduates (and other technically ignorant people) become top management.  Was that not yet obvious with everything designed in Boeing in the past decade?  Boeing, once run by people from aviation, was taken over by MBAs from McDonnell Douglas.  Fifteen years ago, Boeing employees were saying why jobs would be lost.  "Boeing paid McDonnell Douglas to buy Boeing."  Now all top Boeing management comes from the enemies of innovation.

Since 2001, top Boeing executives were from the ranks of GE's Jack Welsh.  Neutron Jack, as he was sometimes called.  Because he sold off GE divisions to overseas companies to protect profits - enrich top management.  Head of the 737 Max program, Ed Clark, had a masters of arts degree from Derey - the online university.  He was replaced by Kathy Ringgold whose previous experience (about five years ago) appears to be Philadelphia real estate.  Somehow that means jobs will be saved?  Because neither comes from where the work gets done?

At Three Mile Island, they knew a valve was leaking.  Top Met Ed management wanted to save money.  Refused to replace it.  Three Mile Island 2 was the famous result.  And three days of plant operators who could not even make phone calls for assistance for most of three days.

They could not find even one engineer that said it was safe to launch Challenger.  So bean counters launched anyway.  Clearly that was not murder?  Clearly that created more jobs?

During the Steve Ballmer's ten years in Microsoft, one one successful product was created.  Fortunately people (including Bill Gates) came back to save Microsoft - and those jobs.

Name an American tire company.  Most all had to be sold to foreign manufacturers because they all refused to make radial tires.  Then kludged crappy one that would tpyically fail 50% of the time.   American jobs saved only when foreigners saved them by buying those companies.

Most all cars now made in American have foreign nameplates.  Because top management in the American auto companies (almost all) did not even drive cars.  They did exactly what is taught in business schools.

Why are so many trains now crashing in Norfolk Southern.  Now that an MBA took over.  He even increased train speeds 10 MPH - to increase profits.    Last crash was three separate trains, all in one crash near Bethlehem PA.

Why were all those new Coast Guard cutters eventually sold to an African nation?  And then superior cutters from Netherlands purchased?  Why are the new Navy destroyers and littoral ships now being scrapped?  Simply view management responsible for their designs.

85% of all problems are directly traceable to top management.

China uses engineers.  So world leaders in a latest innovation (EVs) are now Chinese.

Clinton gave the American automakers $100 million to develop hybrids in the early 1990s.  GM finally came out with their first one in 2010 - 20 years later.  Chevy Volt.  Its engine could not even recharge its own battery.  Rest of the world had been doing hybrids, the correct way, for up to 10 years.  GM finally came out with a hybrid that could recharge it own battery in 2020.  Almost 30 years later.

What patriotic companies got all the jobs?  Foreign ones.  Jobs are only created by innovation.  Never by what is taught in business schools.

What are the most American degrees?  Business school degrees.  People not taught how the work gets done.

3/24/2024 4:35 pm  #7

fargon wrote:

How much more money does a billionaire need.

Why then did Trump create a tax cut for the rich?  Why then do the richest now pay a least amount in taxes.  And why do many American companies (ie GE) now pay no or almost no taxes?

The Gini index has increased.  Because the economy is booming.  Where most wealth is going to the top 1%.  Worse are extremist who say that is good (ie believe what Trump says).

What creates jobs, prosperity, and economic strength?  A lower Gini index.  When the amount of money increases in lowest income groups.  Where most innovative industries and jobs are created.

3/27/2024 6:44 pm  #8

I agree with most of what he wrote, but so much emotion...

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

3/27/2024 6:53 pm  #9

fargon, it's Capitalism. Every consumer need was figured out and solved a couple of decades ago. The only thing that can feed the hungry, hungry hippo that demands perpetual growth, is adding useless new features. making things that break sooner, and inventing printer ink that disables itself every time you get a new debit card.

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

3/27/2024 8:33 pm  #10

Problem solved almost. After returning twice to Menards, and getting a new Mr heater propane heater neither one worked. more than once. I got my money back, and went to Home Depot. They didn't have what I wanted but I got something that will work, after I get a fuel filter (Not included) and sold at an additional cost online only. Customer service is dead  .

3/28/2024 6:30 am  #11

I have a visual in my head of landfill space being occupied by faulty products that should be repairable, grim.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/28/2024 12:15 pm  #12

I once had this weird sci-fi idea that intelligence is discovered to be simply an attribute of the functions a physical being/object can perform, and therefore every piece of consumer electronics, e.g. old Casio calculators in landfills, comes to be viewed in the social norms as a conscious entity. Sort of, industrial age panpsychism. Hey, if a corporation can be a person*, why not?

*or an Egregore?

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

Board footera