cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/12/2020 12:43 am  #1

Knives, Cut, Slice, Stab

I accumulated a few knives over the years. The thing is when you get a better knife what do you do with the old one?

At one time I bought a switchblade online from a vendor in Texas,  a folder made by an outfit in Oregon.
Not trying to become an honorary Sicilian,  it's just I've learned over time that 99% of the time when I need a knife one hand is already busy, usually holding onto what needs cutting. After a few years the spring failed and was a very intricately designed piece. The maker refused to sell me a spring so out of desperation I sent them the knife requesting repair. They sent back the handle with no blade saying that's all the received.

That started a quest to find another. The knife I carry now (marked with a x above) is not a switchblade but I can usually get it open with one hand. Some of the knives  give off a menacing vibe, I don't want, just looking at them.
But mostly when the blade is out it's loose, wiggles, and that's ok for stabbing people but not for cutting stuff.
Tomorrow I'll show you the two most unusual knives, same knife time, same knife channel.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

11/12/2020 8:18 am  #2

Re: Knives, Cut, Slice, Stab

What's in the box?

11/12/2020 12:59 pm  #3

I don't buy a new one until I give up finding the old one.
I have carried a small, usually two-bladed, pocketknife for most of my life.
Right now it is a Buck, replacing another Buck and a Case, both hiding in my  pasture.
I hate the idea of airport "security" throwing my knife in a trash bin, only later to be taken home by some sleaze.  Local courthouse does the same.  Fuck 'em. 

11/12/2020 2:13 pm  #4

Nice. I have more than a couple hanging around.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/12/2020 2:53 pm  #5

Diaphone Jim wrote:

I hate the idea of airport "security" throwing my knife in a trash bin, only later to be taken home by some sleaze.  Local courthouse does the same.  Fuck 'em. 

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=14971&acctid=3553

You can be that sleaze.

11/12/2020 7:29 pm  #6

The last time I carried a knife into the courthouse I, of course , knew I had to surrender it.  But when I handed it to the 130 yr old bailiff, I asked for a receipt.  And I got one, he didn't even hesitate, wrote it right out.

Got m'knife back.

Last edited by Gravdigr (11/12/2020 7:29 pm)

11/13/2020 12:27 am  #7

glatt wrote:

What's in the box?

Those are tire spikes.
I got a letter from the county real estate tax office there was a problem and please make an appearance. I didn't realize the office building they were located in is part of the court system and had to surrender my knife at the check point. coming out I asked for my knife and he points to a cardboard box and says help yourself. There had to be over a hundred knives.

The reason I had to go there is if you pay the tax right away you get a 2% discount. I paid early and didn't take the discount so I had to go there, find a place to park, trek to the right building, go through security, to have some girl who was connected through the Republican party drone, tell me they would mail me a refund.
They knew what they were doing when they took my knife away.

11/13/2020 1:03 am  #8

As promised, two of the oddballs.

The first, Black Magic is a work around or a joke. The blade is fixed solid but at the push of a button the "sheath" retracts into the handle. No kidding the cage that covers the blade retracts. Clever in that it does an end run on laws about moving blades but dumb in carrying  practicality. I bought it for the weird factor.

This one is Chinese, sort of military looking, army green, blue shield with a red star.
When I first saw it the fit & finish said toy, but it's deceptive. Handling it shows it's solidly built and works. Most of the blade comes up from the handle with just the tip hidden in the upper sheath. A swiveling bracket on the upper case to thread a belt or strap through, but the edges on the belt slots were not finished so it would damage the belt. That's typical of the overall fit & finish done so it would sell cheap.

Even so the damn thing works, the blade is solid with no wiggle at all when extended, and the button to release is right where you grab the handle. I should say button to unlock because you still have to pull in down, just pushing the button won't do anything. It was one of those, I-don't-need-it-but-gotta-have-it impulse things. I'll bet you have one in a drawer or closet... no, not a knife, an impulse buy.

Edit: The Chinese knife is just a skosh over 9 inches open.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (11/13/2020 2:02 am)

11/14/2020 6:21 pm  #9

After I posted above, I came across a knife that I think I got as a cheap add-on to another order, but it comes well within Bruce's thread title.
It is a Bowie style or more accurately a Crocodile Dundee thing with a 10 inch stainless blade and fancy polymer (?) handle, made in China.
On the back, toward the tip is a serrated portion about 2 " long that I thought might be a fish scaler or a wood saw.  Like a dummy I tested it with my thumb (quite lightly) and gave myself a deep cut that felt like a paper cut and didn't bleed.  Sharp as a razor, those little points are,
I put a piece of vinyl tape over it so nobody else would try it out. 
I'm on my fourth band-aid.
A nasty surprise.  Anybody else seen one?

11/15/2020 6:04 am  #10

The knife I carry now I can usually get more than ¾ open with one hand the it's easy to get to push full open and locked, plus PA is one of the I think it's seven states that say no way, no how, no time, no excuse. 

11/15/2020 2:45 pm  #11

anonymous wrote:

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

I... That started a quest to find another. The knife I carry now (marked with a x above) is not a switchblade but I can usually get it open with one hand. Some of the knives  give off a menacing vibe, I don't want, just looking at them.
But mostly when the blade is out it's loose, wiggles, and that's ok for stabbing people but not for cutting stuff.

Workhorse assisted opening (a.k.a. automatic, switchblade) knives often have some wiggle room in the blade to prevent debris from jamming the opening mechanism. It's like general issue military firearms not being made to closer tolerances, as in sporting arms, to enhance reliability in mud, sand, snow and freezing rain environments.

I keep a military issue parachute riggers knife (spring action) in with my emergency gear. The knife was also issued with aircrew survival vests. It's made with some wiggle room in the blade for opening reliability. You can find video reviews on YouTube that will tell you it's a terrible knife having a loose blade; yet, it's fine for what it was made for.

For a snug lockup, it's probably best to stay with a standard folder that has a thumb notch or hole in a protruding part of the blade to facilitate one hand opening. Trying to find a gentlemen's switchblade that locks tight, as opposed to a workhorse knife with wiggle room, may be an exercise in futility with mass produced knives.

For a workhorse automatic, you might still be able to find one like mine locally and checkout the lockup to see if it's something you can live with for a reliable action. They even still show up on eBay from time to time: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-CAMILLUS-NEW-YORK-USA-Paratrooper-Knife-Orange-Color-Handle-NICE/114519389445?hash=item1aa9e33505:g:nNoAAOSw2x5fsGaf

I wish Big Sarge was still here. I’m sure he’d have something to contribute to this thread ...

Living life on the edge.

11/15/2020 8:06 pm  #12

what does "weren't willing to do what would have" mean

11/16/2020 8:22 am  #13

For the record, sexobon, stopping you from using the anonymous account for every post is another social titration we are being asked to consider.

11/16/2020 12:50 pm  #14

This place drives me crazy.
I read most posts everyday and have for a long time.
A month or so ago:  That's it folks, no more Callar.
Today "I wish Big Sarge was still here."  Fuck, he was here last week,  Oh, I guess not, all the back and forth posts I had with him are GONE.
Today, undertoad says "I am sexobon," who apparently was anonymous yesterday.

Is this an acid flashback or something?

11/16/2020 1:54 pm  #15

Diaphone Jim wrote:

Today, undertoad says "I am sexobon," who apparently was anonymous yesterday.

12/29/2020 4:31 pm  #16

Griff's pointy items.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/29/2020 5:52 pm  #17

When I get back home I'll have to do a roundup of things to cut things with.

Hey! That's me up there!

12/29/2020 11:51 pm  #18

I forgot all the small pointy items and key chain knives.

12/30/2020 7:49 am  #19

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

I forgot all the small pointy items and key chain knives.

Yeah they seem to accumulate.

12/31/2020 8:34 am  #20

This is my small collection. I have one more, but I left it at the cabin. I think I left a couple left back in Houston when I moved.

12/31/2020 11:33 am  #21

Those are neat. Is one your daily carry? I usually carry my Opinel.

1/04/2021 10:53 pm  #22

griff wrote:

Those are neat. Is one your daily carry? I usually carry my Opinel.

I don't carry any anymore ever since I moved to NC. I used to alternate between the Kershaw and Spyderco. Hehe....that's not saying much since all the above are either Spyderco or Kershaw. The only one I haven't carried on me is the butterfly.  II'll tell you a funny story about the serrated Spyderco cricket. One time I was shopping at Macy's and wanted to use a coupon while paying for an item. I took the knife out, held the hole and flicked the knife open to cut the coupon from the pamphlet. The older cashier woman nearly fainted. My response, "This cute little thing? It's harmless." Hahaha....And yes, I brought a knife to the court house before. It was confiscated. I had to fetch it when I left. No biggie.

2015 bmw 328i gt 0 60

Last edited by Lola Bunny (1/04/2021 10:55 pm)

1/05/2021 7:38 am  #23

Ha!

1/06/2021 7:48 am  #24

She's dangerous. 

1/06/2021 12:13 pm  #25

One thing I need to do everyday is cut the twine on bales of hay.
Not much reason to bring a serrated blade to that job. 

Board footera