cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/15/2020 11:05 pm  #1

US kitchen appliance consumer input: ranges

need/want to replace mine, and I know now will most likely be the best price opportunity of the year.  Pre-shopping on interwebs and in person today basically nailed a Samsung one. Until this point all of ours have been Kenmore and appliance shopping was beest's job. (This is the 4th appliance I've had to replace since he died, *sigh*)    Anyone got any experience with/comments on Samsung's electric ranges?
Requirements are glass top, self cleaning oven, slide-in standard width, stainless steel finish, cheap  Other than that, as unfancy as poss really :D   

Others in the price/unfancy bracket were Whirlpool, but they had uncovered elements and were not self-cleaning.   

TIA   

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

11/16/2020 7:09 am  #2

Re: US kitchen appliance consumer input: ranges

Sorry Kenmore glass top here. We have 18-19 years in it. We had the touch pad replaced about 5 years ago and it continues.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

11/16/2020 7:17 am  #3

GF has a Frigidaire. Not sure about self cleaning. I have the same model but a gas version. I've had mine about 16 years, Only had to replace an ignitor coil or something. GF's is a bit older, no problems.

Is yours truly dead or can it be repaired? How handy are you?

Hey! That's me up there!

11/16/2020 8:25 am  #4

4-5 years ago Samsung had a bad reputation for reliability for appliances.  They do a good job with electronics, but durable things like ranges, not so good.  Maybe they have improved in that time or maybe not.  Does your public library give you online access to Consumer Reports?

That said, an electric range should be a pretty simple thing to manufacture and hard to screw up.  I would hope they can built a decent one.

11/16/2020 10:37 am  #5

footfootfoot wrote:

GF has a Frigidaire. Not sure about self cleaning. I have the same model but a gas version. I've had mine about 16 years, Only had to replace an ignitor coil or something. GF's is a bit older, no problems.

Is yours truly dead or can it be repaired? How handy are you?

beest repaired one burner (with minimal help from me), but couldn't fix a second and the paint is peeling off the control panel (which is really hard to clean) and it doesn't match the rest of my appliances.  I could be handy, but I kind of want a new one that matches and I don't want to fart about fixing it.  That shit is emotionally hard as it's something we used to do together, kinda.

The Frigidaire in the price range was not self-cleaning, and the guy said they had been having problems with the oven door seals

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

11/16/2020 10:39 am  #6

glatt wrote:

Does your public library give you online access to Consumer Reports?

I don't know, I'll check it out, thanks

11/16/2020 12:02 pm  #7

My public library died last March.

11/16/2020 1:12 pm  #8

Ours is operating online/curbside

11/16/2020 1:23 pm  #9

monster wrote:

Ours is operating online/curbside

Apparently I lied.  I just found they closed again completely for two weeks starting yesterday due to positive tests among staff

11/16/2020 1:50 pm  #10

Bummer.  Ours is online and also has book pick-up (but you have to go in and stand in line to get your books. No curbside.)  If you set your account up to work with their online services, you can get access to Consumer Reports online.  My wife has hers set up, but mine isn't and I need to go in in person to do it.

Anyway, if you have a specific model you would like me to look up, I can borrow my wife's password and do that.

Once a shopper figures out what features they want in an appliance, there are usually only a couple of models to choose from that will fit the bill.

11/16/2020 5:17 pm  #11

It's not exactly curbside, I was just being brief...... you have to get it from a locker or the lobby, but you drive up and it's already checked out for you. appointments necessary

11/16/2020 8:15 pm  #12

I'm surprised you can't access shit electronically with your liberry card.

Hey! That's me up there!

11/16/2020 8:53 pm  #13

Guess what!?  I emailed them and I do have online access to consumer reports!  That'll keep me busy.  But I also appreciate any further dwellar input on Samsung electric ranges.  I trust you guys more.  I went in a different store today and came out with pretty much the same recommendation

11/19/2020 12:20 pm  #14

From what I hear about Samsung kitchen appliances, from friends who've bought them, they are the cat's pajamas. Expensive pajamas, but cat-oriented. Nothing about the ranges specifically, but the fridges, and microwaves get high marks.

Hey! That's me up there!

11/22/2020 12:10 am  #15

I boughted one.  Monday arriveth it. with free installation etc, which is nice.

well it would be if I hadn't filled up the hallway with shit I hauled out of the basement last weekend but didn't have the energy to send to its final destination.  buh-bye chilled Sunday....

Board footera