cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/17/2022 8:23 am  #526

Re: Adventures of Home Ownership

Wires are stabled or drilled through at the center of a stud.  Then any screw / bolt  or drilling less than 1.5 inches would never hit a wire.

If that screw / bolt is in a stud, then it will not hit a wire.  Best is to use a #4 finishing nail (rather than a drill) to probe.  To find each outside edge of each stud.  Then electric wires are not a problem.

Sheet rock screws are only 1.25 inches so that electric wires are not harmed.

Hitting wires is often when above simple techniques are not learned.

7/18/2022 9:31 pm  #527

The only place the wires pass through the center of the stud is on the drawings and in the code book.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

7/19/2022 9:56 am  #528

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

The only place the wires pass through the center of the stud is on the drawings and in the code book.

It is standard everywhere - except where idiots know they are experts.  Then look for wires only taped together and thrown back into walls.  When wires are not in a center, then search for the other major threats.

7/19/2022 2:04 pm  #529

So, I just had my chimney checked (cause why not if I'm going to use it).  For the most part, it's good.  Some places to keep an eye on, but overall good.  The biggest piece is that the style of my wood burning stove is no longer recommended by the EPA,  It either needs replacing or removing.  I haven't decided which way to go with it.  I like having the option of the extra heat, but it doesn't disburse through the house great.  A regular fireplace is good, too, just doesn't give off as much heat.  I'm getting an estimate on the removal to see how I want to proceed

7/19/2022 2:20 pm  #530

Do you know why it's not recommended by the EPA?  I don't know anything about that, but assume since the EPA is concerned with the environment, it's not because it's unsafe but rather because it isn't as efficient as it could be.  If that's the case, who cares?  Will it be your primary heat source or just an occasional fire when you feel like it?

If the fire marshal said it was no good, then I would pay attention. I would use it for a season or two and then decide.

7/19/2022 3:03 pm  #531

Basically, it lets too many particulates into the air in the living space.  It's a recent change (like 2022).  Last year, it was fine.  It makes sense, though, because even when it's not running, I've been able to smell the ash.  It's not a "your house will burn down!!" type thing.  More of an FYI and they can't technically mark it as satisfactory on the inspection because of the change.  I probably won't make the change right now because of too many other things I am juggling.

It's not the primary heat source.  I'd like it to be more of a supplemental source, but for that, I need to get the fan in the wall between the living room and the rest of the house updated so the heat is disbursed more.  I can also just have it removed, have a normal fireplace and if I think I want the enclosure back, do that again.  Luckily, it's not a do it all at once thing

The one good thing is that the previous owners left the damper that's used when it's a normal fireplace.  Apparently, it's hard to get a good fit when trying to recreate it.

7/19/2022 3:32 pm  #532

I was leaning to the possibility that it had to do with carbon monoxide or CO2...Interesting.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

7/20/2022 7:00 am  #533

Technically, gas burners on a kitchen stove are a bad thing because they also emit exhaust into the living space.  The EPA hasn't banned them yet, but who know what the future will bring.

7/20/2022 9:30 am  #534

@glatt - I think it's more about the particulates in the air.  Does exhaust have little bits in it? (not being a smart ass, genuinely asking).  That might be the difference.  There's also (hopefully) an active fan option in the hood that can actively pull the air out of the house to keep it cleaner inside.  The wood stove is designed to keep that all in.  Not a verified reason, just thinking out loud.

7/20/2022 9:57 am  #535

Some questions are better not asked.  Especially since I love a gas stove.  But it doesn't take a genius to realise that a furnace burns gas and has a chimney.  But a gas stove with the oven on and all the burners lit will burn about the same amount of gas as a furnace, but has no chimney.  All that carbon dioxide and possible contaminants in the gas have to go somewhere.  It's mostly water vapor and carbon dioxide, but even with "clean" natural gas, there's small amounts of other stuff in there.  Better to not think about it.

A wood stove that lets a little smoke in the house is no big deal to me.  But if it's the primary heat source and used all the time, it's probably not great for your health in the long run.  You gotta take it all in perspective though. Think of sitting by a campfire and all the smoke you get then. *shrug*  Some people actually smoke tobacco on purpose and suck concentrated smoke in on purpose.

If it were me, I would use the wood stove, and see if it gets smoky in the house, and go from there.  If it seemed bad, or I get a headache or something, I'd stop, but a little smoke odor wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.  It's part of having a fire.

We have a carbon monoxide detector, and I think everyone with gas appliances or a fireplace should have one.

7/20/2022 11:32 am  #536

I've used three different wood stoves over the past 50 years, each with better efficiency than the last.

Two things that come to mind:  Follow "spare the air" day rules as they apply to your area.
It is also a good idea to have a CO (carbon monoxide) alarm.

7/23/2022 8:41 am  #537

bbro wrote:

The biggest piece is that the style of my wood burning stove is no longer recommended by the EPA,  It either needs replacing or removing. 

Or wait until it needs replacing and get the EPA recommended design.

A regular fireplace is good, too, just doesn't give off as much heat.

https://www.heatilator.com/

7/31/2022 1:25 pm  #538

Question for anyone that has had major remodels done and NOT DIY ones.  Like, someone comes in a does the job.  Do you wait until you save all the money in the estimate?  Or do you get a loan?  Or half and half?  How much do you add to account for anything else that might come up?

I'm trying to figure out how to approach the kitchen and bath remodels.  The bath is going to be more extensive than the kitchen because it'll involve a bump out addition.  I haven't even gotten an estimate for that yet.

I got the estimate for the gym remodel.  I have about half of it, so I did some calculations and it seems like I can get it all saved by next June.  I'd be able to get it sooner, but I'm still paying off an extensive credit card balance that I'll be able to pay off around the same time if I stick to my payment plan

7/31/2022 4:41 pm  #539

The amount of time you have to wait to get any contractor to anything these days you should be able to pay 10% with found coins on the sidewalk. OK that's a bit exaggerated, but you've talked to them and know what I'm talking about.

Finances are a personal thing, one-size-fits-all solutions don't exist. I figure never borrow money I don't have to, but I ask myself is it something I want or something I need? If it's want I ask how bad do I want it? Then I make a completely irrational decision based on whims and lust.

7/31/2022 6:15 pm  #540

Prior to any loan, get your estimate, add half-again to that number for 'unforeseen prollums' , and then shop that loan around the lending institutions for the cheapest way out.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

8/02/2022 8:28 pm  #541

@Bruce - I realize one for all doesn't exist, but it doesn't hurt to get suggestions for people who have been through it already.

@TNW - I have two estimates.  I'll probably get a third next year when my gym gets redone.  

In the meantime, I bought more legos and I'm creating the kitchen, sunroom/courtyard, and bathroom I want :D  I'm gonna need more legos

8/02/2022 10:31 pm  #542

By the time you're done those legos are going to cost you $10 apiece. LoL

8/02/2022 10:33 pm  #543

I would certainly pay off that CC first but that's a personal thing

I would no take a loan on a home improvement either, unless it was urgent -but everyone has their own urgent

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

8/08/2022 6:09 pm  #544

@monster - I'm not looking at getting a loan immediately, just looking at options and experiences of people that have gone through a remodel they didn't do.

8/09/2022 12:17 pm  #545

One thing to keep in mind about a remodel loan in particular is that, unlike a loan for a car or something else, letting it go unpaid can put a lien on your home, which is a big deal, legally-speaking. Even if you dispute the circumstances--you say you paid, they say you didn't; or you say they didn't actually do the work, etc.--the reality of having a lien on your home is a bureaucratic nightmare you do not want any part of.

8/10/2022 5:12 pm  #546

Clodfobble wrote:

Even if you dispute the circumstances--you say you paid, they say you didn't; or you say they didn't actually do the work, etc.--the reality of having a lien on your home is a bureaucratic nightmare you do not want any part of.

It works for Trump.  He defaulted on loans from every major bank.  And still Deutsche Bank loaned him more money.

Never put money into repaying loans.  Profits increase by putting less money into expensive lawyers and accountants.  Then even you can become a future President.

8/10/2022 6:56 pm  #547

Clodfobble wrote:

One thing to keep in mind about a remodel loan in particular is that, unlike a loan for a car or something else, letting it go unpaid can put a lien on your home, which is a big deal, legally-speaking. Even if you dispute the circumstances--you say you paid, they say you didn't; or you say they didn't actually do the work, etc.--the reality of having a lien on your home is a bureaucratic nightmare you do not want any part of.

That's a good point - thanks.  I was actually thinking of a personal loan which doesn't require putting the house up as collateral like some renovation loans.

I think I'll just start saving and see how it goes.  I also keep changing my mind on the order of remodels that I want to do.  There's 3 major ones: kitchen, bathrooms (that includes a bump out addition), and the sunroom.  I originally though I would go kitchen, bathrooms, sunroom, but even thought I don't really like my bathrooms, there's some things I can change that will make them better.  I can't really change anything myself in the sunroom other than what I've done and adding moulding around the edge.  The kitchen is workable, but there are problems with the cabinets that I can't fix.  Plus, it'd be nice to have the kitchen of my dreams after renting for 20 years.....

8/15/2022 2:10 pm  #548

One advantage of saving first is it gives you time to make up your mind if you really want to do something and in what order to do things.
It also helps avoid,"Well it seemed like a good idea at the time". 

8/19/2022 9:07 am  #549

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

One advantage of saving first is it gives you time to make up your mind if you really want to do something and in what order to do things.
It also helps avoid,"Well it seemed like a good idea at the time". 

Good point

One of the changes I made since moving in is fairly simple - moving the trash cans away from the house and closer to the curb.  I put them in the grass and had plans to build a pad out of paver stones and bricks.  Then, I thought about all the styrofoam and concrete pads the sellers left behind.  I wondered if I could just use those.  Turns out, once I got them released from the roots growing into them, they weren't too hard to move by myself.  Now, I'm just trying to decide if I want to dig out the ground beneath them and make them more level with the driveway

8/19/2022 12:59 pm  #550

Looks done to me.

Board footera