cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/19/2022 6:46 pm  #551

Re: Adventures of Home Ownership

@griff - I think that'll be determined next week when I put the cans to the street

@UT - that would be solved if I dug out the grass under to make it the same level as the driveway......plus, I have people come do my yard for me, so hopefully they would get it

8/19/2022 7:59 pm  #552

bbro wrote:

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

One advantage of saving first is it gives you time to make up your mind if you really want to do something and in what order to do things.
It also helps avoid,"Well it seemed like a good idea at the time". 

Good point

One of the changes I made since moving in is fairly simple - moving the trash cans away from the house and closer to the curb.  I put them in the grass and had plans to build a pad out of paver stones and bricks.  Then, I thought about all the styrofoam and concrete pads the sellers left behind.  I wondered if I could just use those.  Turns out, once I got them released from the roots growing into them, they weren't too hard to move by myself.  Now, I'm just trying to decide if I want to dig out the ground beneath them and make them more level with the driveway

You'd get a ticket for that here!  They can't be stored where they're visible from the street.  Yeah, I know, but great schools.....

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

8/20/2022 10:16 am  #553

@monster - luckily, they don't care here.  I'm still thinking about putting something around them cause it's fucking ugly.  But, the current concern was covering the dying grass under them

8/20/2022 5:53 pm  #554

no tickets for visibly stored cans here, but ours are still stored where they can't be seen from the street.  makes dumping the house trash a lot easier.

I like those giant pavers under the cans bbro.  If it were my place, I would make them recessed flush with each other and with the driveway and no gaps.  The grass will still find a way, but slower and smaller.  Looking good over there!

Be Just And Fear Not

8/20/2022 6:02 pm  #555

....the schools were worth it... but I'm about ready for out...

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

8/23/2022 8:15 pm  #556

Thanks BigV - I still might do that. 

@monster - As long as it was worth it in the long run 

I ran into a weird problem.  When I open the lids, the whole can rolls backwards.  I figure I'll just throw a piece of wood behind it.  Should be easy to screw it on or glue it.

8/23/2022 10:46 pm  #557

bbro wrote:

Should be easy to screw it on or glue it.

I'm pretty sure that's what she said.....

8/24/2022 7:21 am  #558

Doesn't have to be attached to the block, just drive a couple stakes in the ground right behind the block and attach you cross-piece / wheel-blocker to them.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

8/30/2022 7:01 pm  #559

I think the concrete block is too long for that.  I don't want the cans that far back

So, I'm working on a bathroom upgrade.  Hopefully I'll be able to get it done soon and share it all!!

8/30/2022 7:54 pm  #560

Between the stakes and the bin you can put any size spacer you want.

9/12/2022 12:19 pm  #561

That sounds like a lotta work when I could just put some wood directly into the pads.   

Also - look what I got!!  Just in time for the bathroom remodel!!

I also rebuild the grill table.  The first one started sagging in the front from the water damage.

9/12/2022 8:19 pm  #562

bbro wrote:

...look what I got!!  Just in time...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

9/13/2022 5:51 am  #563

Now you're ready to party!

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

9/13/2022 5:46 pm  #564

Nice!  Be super careful with the angle grinder.  Much more dangerous than you might think.

9/13/2022 10:40 pm  #565

glatt wrote:

Nice!  Be super careful with the angle grinder.  Much more dangerous than you might think.

Will do - not even sure what I'll use it for, but I got it!!

9/14/2022 8:47 pm  #566

LEATHER GLOVES.

STAT.

Thank me later.

You heard it here first.

Fact.

Be Just And Fear Not

9/15/2022 9:13 am  #567

BigV wrote:

LEATHER GLOVES.

STAT.

Thank me later.

You heard it here first.

Fact.

My brother actually bought me a nice set last year that I use all the time.  They've saved my hands many times
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Wells-Lamont-Women-s-Breathable-Mesh-Leather-Palm-Gloves-Small/1003164982

9/16/2022 6:41 am  #568

Eye protection is not optional with angle grinding as well.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

9/16/2022 7:14 am  #569

griff wrote:

Eye protection is not optional with angle grinding as well.

I've got those. And ear protection, too.

9/16/2022 9:16 am  #570

good good

9/17/2022 10:11 pm  #571

Looks to me like you're just begging for aches, pains, soreness, and blisters. 

10/01/2022 11:13 am  #572

The bathroom is taking a bit longer, but here's a peek at some of the changes.  Although, I realized that I don't have a picture of the old funky light.  *SIGH*, but still here you go.

10/01/2022 5:01 pm  #573

I like the ceiling and the light.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

10/02/2022 6:17 am  #574

That's really nice!

10/02/2022 10:28 am  #575

See now if you turned that light to point down instead of up you wouldn't of had to do the ceiling. 

Board footera