cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/14/2021 1:24 pm  #76

Re: Adventures of Home Ownership

bbro wrote:

Interesting!  I do it sometimes, but oddly I don't think I've ever said "I cut my hair" until recently.....cause I cut my own hair 

Thinking about this more... I say "I got a haircut" to mean a general trim, but I will say "I cut my hair" to indicate a more dramatic style/length change. (Mostly, though, I actually say, "Ugh, I need a haircut" and then don't do it.)

2/14/2021 1:35 pm  #77

Clodfobble wrote:

I will say "I cut my hair" to indicate a more dramatic style/length change

yeah, that is how I mostly hear that one. 

My learner was confused by someone saying they were making rice.

sorry for the thread drift, bbbbro.....

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

2/14/2021 5:53 pm  #78

monster wrote:

Clodfobble wrote:

I will say "I cut my hair" to indicate a more dramatic style/length change

yeah, that is how I mostly hear that one. 

My learner was confused by someone saying they were making rice.

sorry for the thread drift, bbbbro.....

I've definitely said I'm making rice - lol.  No worries, threads drift back and forth

2/18/2021 4:36 pm  #79

So, now there's a house with no HOA, 3 acres of land, 1300 sqft, 2brm, but the commute post covid would likely be around 40-60m.  I'm not sure if it's actually worth it or that I'd use the acreage efficiently.  And no, there's not a chance that I'd be able to permanently work from home at the company I'm at now. 

There's another one that I'm looking at that's 2100 sqft, better located, fenced in yard, HOA not crazy (now), 2 car garage.  It's not on market until next week, so no inside pictures yet.  I'm actually kind of excited to see the inside.  The outside is really nice and well maintained.

Another wrinkle is that houses don't seem to be coming up as often now.  

2/18/2021 8:30 pm  #80

friends don't let friends join HOAs

DON'T JOIN THE HOA

Be Just And Fear Not

2/18/2021 8:31 pm  #81

I'd rather have a 60 m commute than be enslaved by an HOA.

You can get another job but you can't move your house.

Be Just And Fear Not

2/18/2021 8:55 pm  #82

or can you?

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/18/2021 9:25 pm  #83

HOAs do seem to be hard to avoid there.  60 minute commutes are not fun.  When we moved here, beest had been doing a 45-60 minute commute in the UK and it was killer, so we stressed to the realtor 30 minute max.  We ended up 20-30 minutes away.  What a game-changer.  do-able to come back in the middle of the day occasionally if needed...

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

2/18/2021 10:12 pm  #84

@BigV - As I've mentioned before, avoiding an HOA isn't that easy here.  Be happy if you can just say "No HOAs" and still have lots of choices.  

@monster - that's what I'm concerned about.  I had a 60ish min commute before and I hated my life.  I also hated my life for other reasons, but still.  Unfortunately, the other one is still around 30m, but I think that's still better.  It's 1 hr a day instead of 2.  I also worry about the dogs.  It's not like there's someone else that can feed them or let them out.  And I'd eventually like to go back to a gym at some point, so I'd have less time to find to do that.

2/18/2021 11:31 pm  #85

I also hate HOAs with a passion, but it sounds like ultimately, they'll take up less time in your life than avoiding them.  Got any idea if you feel you want a house for life, or just 5 or 10 years or....?

2/19/2021 7:01 pm  #86

monster wrote:

I also hate HOAs with a passion, but it sounds like ultimately, they'll take up less time in your life than avoiding them.  Got any idea if you feel you want a house for life, or just 5 or 10 years or....?

I mean, I'm over 40, so I'm hoping for a while.  Ideally, I'd like to pay off the mortgage before buying another house, but I realize it's not always an option.  While in NC, I've lived in only 2 places in 14 years.  Since they've always been rental, they've always felt temporary.  I just want to not feel temporary and hoard boxes - lol.

Hoping to see another house in addition to the one I'm looking forward to with the HOA.  It's a non-HOA, but it's built in 1966 with a septic tank and a well.  There's also a room that looks like it was a porch and was converted to inside.  I haven't had luck with those so far.  It has a "finished" basement, too, but the pictures aren't filling me with confidence right now.  I see a lot of work that has to be done to update it.  I'm still going to go see it, but it's iffy.  I'm not handy and I'm not interested in taking on any reno projects.

2/19/2021 8:02 pm  #87

Sounds like maybe you just need to develop a hobby of finding ways to piss HOA people off without actually breaking any of their rules..... 

2/19/2021 8:04 pm  #88

....good luck in your latest viewings....

2/20/2021 8:06 am  #89

monster wrote:

Sounds like maybe you just need to develop a hobby of finding ways to piss HOA people off without actually breaking any of their rules..... 

Sounds like you could train someone?

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

2/21/2021 11:34 pm  #90

griff wrote:

or can you?

YES!  you can

3/06/2021 4:55 pm  #91

No you can't!
Buy the house which is subdivided into 7 units, $200,000 for the mover, $200,00 for fees and permits, buy the new location, plus foundation, and site prep. Oh, and at the new location pay to move the business next door sideways 14 feet.
You don't want to touch that ulcer with a 10 ft pole.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

3/12/2021 10:44 pm  #92

So, I (obviously) didn't get the house from earlier.  I made an offer and they said they wanted me as a backup in case the one they accepted fell through.

I saw two more houses today.  Both older, in a good community with a very lenient HOA (like, seriously, driving around it doesn't look like an HOA neighborhood).  One house has a bathroom/laundry room which I hate, but a huge garage/workshop that is rare to see.  The bedrooms are small, too.  
The second has bigger bedrooms, but no garage.  There is a shed that would make an adequate workshop for what I would be doing.  The problem I see is that a neighbor has outdoor cats which would mean that I would never be able to take my dogs for a walk.   

I'm seeing a house tomorrow that's currently being rented, but would request the closing date after the lease is up.  Epic back yard with awesome firepit, cool colors inside, and a shed that looks like a separate apartment from the outside.  And no HOA.  They're only allowing showings for about 3 hours 15m each, so the demand is likely to be high.

I find myself wondering if I should just compromise to just get a house.  I have the added complication of dealing with my parents' estate.  I'm going to take a break for, like, two weeks because I won't be in town.  I'm just getting tired of looking and thinking of all the mistakes I'm probably making

3/12/2021 11:51 pm  #93

Sorry to sound naive but why wouldn't you be able to walk the dogs?  I have outdoor cats and they just bugger the fuck off when dogs are coming past

3/13/2021 11:19 am  #94

monster wrote:

Sorry to sound naive but why wouldn't you be able to walk the dogs?  I have outdoor cats and they just bugger the fuck off when dogs are coming past

Because my dogs are still very excitable with the world around them 0n leashes and get excited (as in try to chase) cats when they see them with my arm attached.  Then, they're over stimulated for the rest of the walk.  And every time we go by a place that they saw the cat, they lunge and try to sniff for them for the next few days.  It would be a nightmare.

3/13/2021 1:07 pm  #95

monster wrote:

This is the first thought I had when I read bbro's comment.

Now, having read the response by bbro, I feel I'd favor the house over trouble walking the dogs.  I guess we have different nightmares.  But a house lasts longer than a dog, a dog can change his behavior, ... etc.  Stuff happens.  The dog, and you, can adapt.  I hope you find a house all of you love.

Be Just And Fear Not

3/14/2021 2:43 am  #96

This guy up in MA has been house hunting this winter, he said...
"​House hunting is dedicating your weekends to an enormously stressful new hobby."

3/29/2021 1:06 pm  #97

Looks like the housing market here is going the same way now.  My neighbor just listed her house Friday, got 4 offers Saturday, more interest from showings on Sunday, agent has given buyers until 4pm today (Monday) to put their best offer in

3/31/2021 9:54 pm  #98

news story on local radio here...

Noted that cash offers of 100 to 200 thousand dollars over asking price in the local market are the winning offers for houses here.

W

T

F

F

?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Be Just And Fear Not

3/31/2021 10:34 pm  #99

bbro wrote:

monster wrote:

Because my dogs are still very excitable with the world around them 0n leashes and get excited (as in try to chase) cats when they see them with my arm attached.  Then, they're over stimulated for the rest of the walk.  And every time we go by a place that they saw the cat, they lunge and try to sniff for them for the next few days.  It would be a nightmare.

gotcha.  My friend's dog (who is not what one would generally describe as "excitable") almost dislocated her arm last week because we walked past a (very big) "stick" he left on the previous lap but suddenly decided he wanted to give a second chance.....  Squirrels are also an issue, but she can at least also predict his behaviour there.... ish.

Last edited by monster (3/31/2021 10:37 pm)

3/31/2021 11:34 pm  #100

Walking the dogs cats either slink off of stand their ground threatening to tear 'em up. So it's a distraction but the real danger is squirrels, they'll raise hell to get bowser's attention then challenge him to to a game of tag. That's when he rips your arm off. Even the best trained dogs fall for that.

This Goth house with one bedroom for $225k in Baltimore had half a dozen people sign up for a tour the first day.
The agent did convince the seller to ditch the 29 mannequins.

Board footera