cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/20/2021 5:36 pm  #126

Re: Adventures of Home Ownership

BigV wrote:

Only if you're using them wrong.

Having a garbage disposal will not hurt your septic system.
My opinion is that using it will.
Do you have strainers in your sink drains?  Do you empty them down the drain when they get full?
Garbage disposals do.

7/20/2021 8:49 pm  #127

Girl up in MA buys a $1000 fridge, store says 2 years parts and labor, 18 months it dies.
Oh no we meant 1 year on parts 2 years on labor. Tech says compressor shot and the factory won't sell him one.
So after 18 months it can't be fixed but we'll give you $200 off a new one.   Uh, off list.

I'd be in jail, no doubt about it. 

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

7/20/2021 9:48 pm  #128

Diaphone Jim wrote:

BigV wrote:

Only if you're using them wrong.

Having a garbage disposal will not hurt your septic system.
My opinion is that using it will.
Do you have strainers in your sink drains?  Do you empty them down the drain when they get full?
Garbage disposals do.

Ok, let's.

For the record, long time septic, no time garbage disposal.

We do have strainers in the sink, we do not empty them down the sink. The reason being that the material caught by the strainer is likely large enough to cause a clog in the pipes between the sink and the septic tank.  Once that shit's in the septic tank, it's not a problem.  It will decompose, or not, by the time the level of the solids needs to be pumped out.  If the material produced by the chewed, ground, macerated, pulverized, pulped, pureed process of passing through the terrible teeth of the garbage disposal doesn't get stuck in the pipes, we're good to go.

Now, I wouldn't recommend TESTING the mettle of your garbage disposal by feeding it the wrong stuff like glass or silverware or straws or other non-foodish bits you might otherwise put on your plate.  That would be bad for the garbage disposal, probably bad for your pipes, and your septic system could probably hold it, but only hold it, not digest it.

What do you think happens to the toilet paper that goes down the bowl and through the pipes into your septic tank?  It's held there, breaks down some, contributes to the sludgy gross solids that accumulate in the tank that eventually needs to be pumped out.  The regular addition of water and other fluids helps the digestion process and if you have a functional, well designed septic system, the fluids are drained away to the drain field.  Not any solids from your garbage disposal, no more than the sludgy poo paper that came to the tank from the other pipe.  If it's fluid, it'll drain away.  If it's solid, it will accumulate in the tank until it's pumped out.

Now, what is there about the pureed food output of a garbage disposal that harms a septic system?

Be Just And Fear Not

7/20/2021 9:55 pm  #129

Sounds so much like what happens in the intestines.  And why some ten Trillion (not billion) bateria reside there.

7/20/2021 10:44 pm  #130

As long as you don't kill that bacteria.
The toilet paper breaks down unless it's blue, for some reason blue doesn't want to break down, I don't know why.
The biggest danger is the tank getting too full and solids(mush but not liquid) level gets too high and starts moving out the pipes that carry the liquid out to the leach field and plugging it up. Then it all has to be replaced.
I know people who are having the tank pumped every few years, like 5 or 6. The house I lived in with my folks, 18 years and never pumped. My tank at this house was 20 years without pumping, plus buried 9 ft down when they moved the road which is a no no, should be close to the surface for warmth. It would still be fine if the sewer company hadn't "accidentally" dug up my pipes.

7/21/2021 1:10 pm  #131

glatt wrote:

I'm with tw on this one.

Oof.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

7/22/2021 9:15 am  #132

I know, right?

7/22/2021 2:55 pm  #133

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

7/23/2021 5:21 pm  #134

So, I've got all inspection reports in.  The regular inspector listed about 50 things that need fixed, but some of them are easy DIY stuff.  The rest, we're asking for a fix. 

The septic inspector found 2 major things that need to be done now and one small thing I can probably do (fixing a chip on the concrete lid).  There's also a suggestion of adding risers to the access points which isn't as urgent, but I'd probably do within the next 12 months.  Right now, they're underground.  The septic guy is pretty cool, though.  He has some recommendations of people to do the work and told me how much it should cost.  He said if it costs more to call him.  We're still asking the buyer to fix it, but in this market, I'm not expecting that.  I'm hoping they'll at least agree to a monetary value. 
Even if they don't, I'm 98% positive I can pay for it all myself.  If I can use credit cards, I found one that will give me 5% cash back for home improvement purchases including maintenance.

At least the radon came back 100% good   So, as far as I'm concerned, I'm going through with the sale.  Now, I just have to refrain from buying all the furniture.  I want to wait until the closing so if it ships fast, I can have them deliver it directly.

My plan on the day of the closing is to take my hammock and an umbrella and set it up on my porch.  I've been looking into umbrella stands for that, but they're SO expensive!  I'm gonna just make my own with a pot, concrete, and PVC tubing.

7/23/2021 6:00 pm  #135

go b bro!  you got this...... 

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

7/25/2021 2:08 pm  #136

I made a thing for the house.  Yes, I know there are flaws.  No, I don't need you to point them out.  No, I don't need suggestions on how to fix it.  It makes me happy right now.  And I'm going to use it for the hammock laying on the 10th

7/25/2021 10:58 pm  #137

It ain't dumb if it works.

7/26/2021 4:40 pm  #138

@Clod - remains to be seen :D  The umbrella is too big for the apartment porch, so I'll be testing it on closing day!  It's a beach umbrella with 100spf protection - woot!

7/26/2021 4:44 pm  #139

The umbrella looks like it will work fine in anything short of a severe storm. Well done.

7/26/2021 5:42 pm  #140

bbro wrote:

The umbrella is too big for the apartment porch...

Maybe cut it in half?

The umbrella, not the porch.

Last edited by TheNeverWas (7/26/2021 5:42 pm)

7/26/2021 5:55 pm  #141

Buy a new septic tank lid and use the chipped one to anchor the umbrella when the wind kicks up. 

7/26/2021 6:25 pm  #142

@glatt - Thanks!
@TheNeverWas - Ultimately, I'll use it at the house, so I don't want to cut it.  There's no roof or anything to get in the way over there.  This is my apartment porch.  
@bruce -  

7/26/2021 7:58 pm  #143

Are you trying to kill Mary Poppins and submerge the evidence?

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

7/27/2021 6:12 am  #144

lol

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

7/27/2021 7:37 am  #145

@monster - SHHHHH

So, everything is coming together.  The sellers won't do any fixes as expected.  And the gave an allowance 1500 less than we wanted and wouldn't adjust even 1000 dollars.  But, whatever.  The appraisal came in at 4000 over what I offered, so there will be no problem getting the mortgage.  With the down payment, I'll have about 24000 equity on the house already.  

I'm on a roll contacting people that would actually do the fixes and trying to get some estimates.  I think it'll be easier because I have the inspection reports with pictures....hopefully. 

I already have 2 fence people set up.  I'm going to be getting (hopefully) a 4 rail fence around the backyard only for now.  It will match the decorative fence at the front of the property.  I don't feel the need for a privacy fence since it's pretty secluded.  I just need to make sure the dogs can't get through, but it should be easy to attach some wire afterwards if needed

I'm, uh, kind of getting excited here.

7/27/2021 10:58 am  #146

Good timing, doing this work as building material prices are coming back down again.

7/27/2021 6:11 pm  #147

@glatt - I think house prices are coming down too.

So, we went to check out the garage and attached storage.  There's some water damage, but it should be easy to replace the panels.  Some of them need sealed in the storage area.  I'm going to see if I can put a window in so I can get a cross breeze at least.  I plan on using the storage area as a gym. 

The garage area is huge.  I think it would benefit from some windows, too.  And an automatic garage door opener - lol.  There are a couple work benches that I'm going to remove.  I might see if I can use the wood for some other things. 

There's also a scary house/shed/building separate from everything that is made of plywood.  I am going to take the hardware off, but I'm not sure that I can use the wood for anything.  I was going to just take a sledge hammer to it - lol.

There's ANOTHER shed that is in really good shape that I'll probably store my outside tools in.  I'm thinking of planting a cutting flower garden.  My friends want me to plant some vegetables, but I'm still iffy on that.

The floor in the sunroom has thin gross carpet in it.  I was going to see if I could just paint the concrete underneath since it's a converted carport, but I might do epoxy.  My friend uses someone that can make the floor look like stone using epoxy.

Ugly floor with sunshine from the windows

I want to do something to the kitchen counters temporarily.  Just because I hate them and I probably won't be replacing them for a while.  I might repaint the cabinets, but I haven't decided.  All the doors and drawer fronts need to be scrubbed 
Counter:

Cabinets

The neighbor came over again.  He seems nice and gave me his and his wife's contact info in case I need anything.  It'll be interesting to see how that goes - he's got a huge Trump 2024 flag on his house

Last edited by bbro (7/27/2021 6:12 pm)

7/27/2021 6:44 pm  #148

getting any contractors scheduled to do anything is a victory right now. -everyone is backed up.

She says sounding like she knows what she's talking about.  "Why yes, we can fix the irrigation line your builder cut through that is gushing water everywhere.  I have a window at the end of August as long as you can be home in the middle of the morning....ish.... "

7/28/2021 11:00 pm  #149

I like those cabinets, warn and homey.
Over the last couple years I've learned that contractors refuse to use the word no. If they don't want to or can't for some reason do the job, instead of saying so they say yes I'll be there in three weeks.
Call them after a month, Oh I'm jammed up but two weeks at the most.
Call them after a month, yes, next week for sure.
Call them after two weeks, right, tomorrow afternoon.
Not a chance in hell, and not just one or two, they all do it every damn time.
They might show, they might not, but will not say no. 

7/29/2021 1:31 am  #150

bbro wrote:

I might repaint the cabinets, but I haven't decided.  All the doors and drawer fronts need to be scrubbed 

Paint is always a worst surface.  We paint things only when an item to be painted is even worse.  Ie sheetrock or particle board.

For example, sheetrock has no hardness and quickly disintegrates with humidity and moisture.  So we put paint on it - the cheapest surface possible - to harden that sheet rock and to keep moisture out.

Anything that is painted must be constantly repainted.  And then things fail due layers of paint.

Even worse are fools who paint electric receptacles, hinges, door latches, and any other hardware.  They destroy what is a best finish (good for 100 years) with something that is only good for maybe three.  I cannot say enough about so many doors so screwed up because people put paint on what was a best possible surface.

To have cabinets cleaned even better, remove doors and drawers (carefully mark each location and screw).  Have a furniture refinishing company clean them professionally.  Clean them or even refinish them.  Always a superior alternative.

I cannot think of a worse finish to put on cabinets or furniture: paint.

However, in the Navy:  If it moves, salute it.  Otherwise paint it.  No problem.  Ships are disposable.

Board footera