cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/29/2021 3:29 pm  #151

Re: Adventures of Home Ownership

@monster - that's why I'm trying to call now and set them up for mid August.  I wonder if I'm not phrasing it correctly and they think I need it now so they're avoiding me?  

@bruce - they might be better when I paint the walls.  The big problem is that they're not all the same color.  I've seen some kitchens where the top cabinets were white and the bottom were dark blue or dark grey.  I don't think I'd wait a month for them.  I'm giving them a week before following up again.  I'm trying to be patient even though I want answers now - lol.

I'm waiting on responses from 3 septic people, 1 foundation person, 1 epoxy person, and a general contractor.  I've actually talked/texted with an electrician and plumber.  I have 1 foundation appt that does crawlspace stuff and 1 that only does crawlspaces.  Some of these people are recommendations from a friend that owns properties, so I'm hoping that makes them more reliable.  But we'll see.

7/29/2021 7:07 pm  #152

The contractor situation has changed since covid.
(1) they couldn't work for so long, so they are backed up
(2) There was a shortage of materials backing jobs up
(3) everyone was stuck home identifying projects they wanted done and messing things up by accident with their DIY projects so the workload multiplied

I've only been in my job 3 weeks, but for us, call us in the fall/next spring means that.  We aren't doing estimates for new systems because we have no time left in which to install them before winter.  And we are giving asshole potential customers the numbers of other contractors.  We can't find any more techs, and we are about to lose some of the ones we have as they head back to college, and people are all getting fences installed for their covid puppies and the fence installers have an affinity for slicing through irrigation lines.

Around here, no-one can get a roofing contractor out.  They are apparently fully scheduled through 2022.  I'm hoping mine (which is looking very tatty) can scrape through another couple of years.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

7/29/2021 7:12 pm  #153

bbro wrote:

@monster - that's why I'm trying to call now and set them up for mid August.  I wonder if I'm not phrasing it correctly and they think I need it now so they're avoiding me?  

Today I scored a victory shoehorning in an urgent repair that will take less than an hour ...on Friday 13th.
  "now" is Mid August.  I can't get anything that's going to take longer than 2 hours (including drive time) in before the end of the month, and the owner is cherry picking jobs we accept.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

7/30/2021 5:03 am  #154

@monster - I would understand that if they would just tell me instead of just ignoring me.  Explain the back up all you want, it doesn't excuse companies from straight up ignoring people.  Fine, category me as an asshole customer and give me another number.  I'd be grateful because THEY FUCKING RESPONDED.

7/30/2021 6:05 pm  #155

bbro wrote:

@monster - I would understand that if they would just tell me instead of just ignoring me.  Explain the back up all you want, it doesn't excuse companies from straight up ignoring people.  Fine, category me as an asshole customer and give me another number.  I'd be grateful because THEY FUCKING RESPONDED.

No you're right, and I'm sorry, that's frustrating.  I always tell them, sorry, we just can't help.  I was more responding to xoB, I should have been clearer.

7/30/2021 6:49 pm  #156

monster wrote:

bbro wrote:

No you're right, and I'm sorry, that's frustrating.  I always tell them, sorry, we just can't help.  I was more responding to xoB, I should have been clearer.

No worries   Just a little frustrated.  The good news is one of the septic people I contacted this week actually called me back.  He seems to be the smallest of the 3, so woo for supporting non-corporations.  The plumber and electrician came recommended by a trusted friend who uses them often, so I think I'll give them some more time and follow up.

In other news, I picked up some paint chips or whatever they're called these days.  I am now second guessing EVERYTHING.  Like, wouldn't an orange kitchen be cool?  And if I paint the cabinets the way I'm thinking (white/grey on top and dark slateish blue on the bottom), then I think they'll be complimentary. 

I'm also wondering if I should do the laundry room in color instead of white.  It'll also give me the option to pick easier to install flooring like this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Perfection-Floor-Tile-Master-Mosaic-6-Piece-20-in-x-20-in-Gray-Interlocking-Wood-look-Luxury-Commercial-Residential-Vinyl-Tile/1002513590  Or this which is much cheaper https://www.lowes.com/pd/ProCore-16-Piece-5-75-in-x-35-75-in-Legacy-Oak-Luxury-Locking-Vinyl-Plank-Flooring/1000389549 

7/30/2021 8:38 pm  #157

It will all come together And congratulations again. So freeing, huh?

One day I'mm'a have a crimson feature wall... beest and I decided we wanted to do that 20ish years ago.  Still hasn't happened........ but it will.  One day.

7/31/2021 5:56 am  #158

monster wrote:

It will all come together And congratulations again. So freeing, huh?

One day I'mm'a have a crimson feature wall... beest and I decided we wanted to do that 20ish years ago.  Still hasn't happened........ but it will.  One day.

Thanks!  It's definitely a weird feeling.  I'm heading to Lowes today to get more of those pamphlets that show complimentary colors and maybe some more strips for colors I never though I'd like

My sister in law has a red kitchen.  She always wanted one, so when they bought their first house, she got a red kitchen   It's like dark red.

7/31/2021 6:16 pm  #159

Then you don't see spattered blood as the head of a live chicken is chopped off.

Fresh food is so important..  Nobody need know where it came from.

8/01/2021 9:06 pm  #160

Wow, dark red, or any dark color, is tough to keep mother-in-law ready as it shows every fingerprint.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

8/01/2021 9:30 pm  #161

8/04/2021 3:23 pm  #162

I bought my new deadbolts and doorknobs!  AND A HOSE!  So exciting.  It's a little bittersweet.  Kind of missing my mother right now.

8/04/2021 7:33 pm  #163

absence makes the heart grow fonder.

both hearts.

congrats bbro on your NEW HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be Just And Fear Not

8/04/2021 7:38 pm  #164

What BigV said.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

8/04/2021 9:51 pm  #165

@BigV - Thanks!  It's less than a week to closing, so I'm getting more excited/terrified.

@fargon - Thanks.  It just really hit me today.

So my big hurdle right now is furniture.  I want an enormous couch - pit sectional to b exact, but I also realized that it needs to have a removable middle piece, so a U shaped sectional with an ottoman.  I found one I like, but it won't be ready until MARCH!!!  WTF.  

I also need a small dining table.  I'm going to get 4 chairs and store 2 when not in use.  I want to get parsons chairs so they're nice and comfy.

Also, I need 2 sets of outdoor furniture.  One for the sunroom and one for outside.  I think the outside is less urgent because I can use the hammock and captain's chairs I have.  I'd like a sunbrella fabric for the sunroom.

I just can't bring myself to buy furniture online, so it's a hurdle.  I'm going to have to figure something out, though.  

I also decided (especially since the epoxy guy never got back to me) to do some garage flooring in the sunroom.  I found a place that sells snap together panels with no texture.  I can get my black and white checked floor!!

Not much more luck with the outstanding handy people I need.  I'm going to contact a couple more electricians and a general contractor tomorrow.

8/04/2021 11:19 pm  #166

Everyone I've met with a sun-room complained about overheating with any sun at all and ended up with big awnings for shade. Maybe you should live with it for awhile before going whole hog decorating and furnishing it. Or not.

8/05/2021 1:01 pm  #167

@Bruce - good point.  I'm definitely pulling up the carpet and doing the floor because it smells.  I have plans to put in blinds that are installed at the bottom and I can pull up to help with the sun.  There's also AC and heating vents in the room, so I'm hoping it won't get too bad out there.

So, I've got an electrician scheduled to come and give an estimate in 2ish weeks.  I've got the internet starting on closing day (keeps trying to up sell me.  I DON'T WANT TV DUDE!).  Things are just rolling along

Last edited by bbro (8/05/2021 3:39 pm)

8/05/2021 5:25 pm  #168

Biggest  long term) problem with a sun room is UV light.  Even wall paper can prematurely peal off a wall.  Everything in that room must be rated for exterior spaces. Furniture upholstery degrades quickly if not UV resistant.

Does window glass have UV filtering?

8/05/2021 6:59 pm  #169

@tw - likely not  I realize UV is a problem.  That's what the blinds and the outdoor furniture are for

8/05/2021 9:33 pm  #170

who wallpapers in a sunroom?

8/06/2021 4:40 pm  #171

@monster - hell if I know.  

I'm headed out to look at furniture tomorrow.  I'm looking for a kitchen table and chairs.  I haven't had one for a while, but I remember (many many years ago) looking at those padded upholstered ones with no arms and thinking they were too expensive.  So, I'm getting some of those.  I don't want a huge one, but I'm getting 4 seats because I have family that are determined to visit.  I have the room to store two of the chairs when not in use, though. 

I'm also headed to the mall (horror) to check out a couch that I'm ordering online.  I think I mentioned it earlier in the thread (lovesac - not that kind), but it's just about time for me to buy!!  I'm nervous about buying furniture online without trying it and I found a store in the mall, so I'm gonna go sit on it   It's also going to be delivered in 1-2 weeks instead of 2-4 months!  Woot :D

8/06/2021 8:27 pm  #172

bbro wrote:

...(lovesac - not that kind)

Nevertheless:

The lovesac is a wrinkly old place where
Nuts can hang together
Lovesac baa-bee
Lovesac Baybbeeee

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

8/06/2021 8:29 pm  #173

monster wrote:

who wallpapers in a sunroom?

Heathens.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

8/06/2021 9:47 pm  #174

bbro wrote:

I'm headed out to look at furniture tomorrow.  I'm looking for a kitchen table and chairs.  I haven't had one for a while, but I remember (many many years ago) looking at those padded upholstered ones with no arms and thinking they were too expensive.  So, I'm getting some of those.  I don't want a huge one, but I'm getting 4 seats because I have family that are determined to visit.  ​

When the interlopers come move the table and chairs to the sun room, turn off the ventilation, and take down the blinds. Keep babbling on about how glorious the warmth and the vitamin D is. 

8/06/2021 10:43 pm  #175

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

bbro wrote:

I'm headed out to look at furniture tomorrow.  I'm looking for a kitchen table and chairs.  I haven't had one for a while, but I remember (many many years ago) looking at those padded upholstered ones with no arms and thinking they were too expensive.  So, I'm getting some of those.  I don't want a huge one, but I'm getting 4 seats because I have family that are determined to visit.  ​

When the interlopers come move the table and chairs to the sun room, turn off the ventilation, and take down the blinds. Keep babbling on about how glorious the warmth and the vitamin D is. 

That is some next level super genius voice of experience gaslighting right there.  Bravo!

Here's your hat, what's your hurry?

Be Just And Fear Not

Board footera