cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/23/2021 5:39 pm  #201

Re: Adventures of Home Ownership

@glatt - it is.  I'm so happy the carpet is gone because it was holding so much smell.  I'm debating on painting the walls now or waiting.

@griff - based on the plant hangers on the wall, I get the feeling it was at one point.  I'm not sure if it's right for me, though.

8/23/2021 9:49 pm  #202

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

What's the problem with wallpaper in the kitchen or bath, as long as it's washable.

ummm.... everything if you live in current century?

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

8/23/2021 9:50 pm  #203

.....and even if you don't.... moving to a country where wallpaper is not the norm (or necessary to hide bumpy walls) was an unexpected bonus.....

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

8/24/2021 5:11 pm  #204

I took the dogs to the house today.  They were very confused.  And slightly stressed.  Tess would NOT calm down, but she did have all those windows to look out of.

This is the view from my big ass couch.  I can't wait for fall

Confused about the couch

High alert

Not so high alert

8/24/2021 6:11 pm  #205

Also, I now have a brand new toaster oven, microwave, and electric tea kettle

8/24/2021 7:09 pm  #206

https://www.homedepot.com/p/rental/EDDY-FLOOR-Compact-Floor-Stripper-NS2010/309005644

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Flooring-Flooring-Supplies-Flooring-Tools-Floor-Scrapers/N-5yc1vZcdur

I've used both of these tools, rented the power one, own the manual one.  They're infinitely better than my previous approach with a hammer and chisel.  Standing up, priceless.  Electrical power or muscle power, both are OK but being able to stand up and put your posture into it, ... really.  You'll get that floor very clean.  Suitable for any application you have in mind from paint to new flooring.  1000% recommended.

Be Just And Fear Not

8/25/2021 7:06 am  #207

@BigV - I am picking up a manual one today. 

8/25/2021 8:20 am  #208

bbro wrote:

@BigV - I am picking up a manual one today.

Also buy thick gloves to avert blisters.

8/26/2021 12:14 am  #209

monster wrote:

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

What's the problem with wallpaper in the kitchen or bath, as long as it's washable.

ummm.... everything if you live in current century?

Oh, so there is no reason, you just can't think for yourself and must rely on what everyone else is doing.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

8/26/2021 5:09 pm  #210

I started cleaning the cabinets and drawers today.  Basically testing to see how hard it would be to remove the liner paper.  Good news is that it seems like it's going to be fairly easy to do, just time consuming.  I also took off some handles and knobs.  And they are GROSS.  Like, a half inch of goo on them.  I tried cleaning one, but it wasn't coming off.  I'm just going to replace it.  I was SO grossed out.  I don't like them enough to go through all that.

I've got a list of things to do this weekend - basically all the boring stuff that I put off when my friend is here.  Sadly, he has to work all weekend.  I'm contemplating staying there all weekend with the dogs.  Cause why not?    

I'm also trying to decide where to buy appliances.  Home Depot is cheaper, but I'm having problems even getting the ceiling fans I ordered last week.  Lowes has been pretty dependable, but more expensive and doesn't include all the hoses for the washer. 

And I'm thinking about what kind of grill to get.  I'm definitely getting a gas grill, but I don't know what kind.  I was thinking of just spending the money and getting a Weber - they seemed to have the most consistent positive reviews.

My sink was SUPPOSED to come today, but it didn't yet.  Technically, UPS has until 7pm to deliver it.  I was just hoping to be there to take it in.

This is all such boring shit!!  LOL

8/26/2021 9:54 pm  #211

I like buying local.

And I like buying from a smaller outfit more than I like buying from a larger chain/franchise.  These people live in my neighborhood and I like to see them stay in business.  All the other advantages described by xoB accrue to you as well.

I will soon be in the market for a suite of kitchen appliances myself.  I've recently applied to refinance my mortgage, take some equity out in the form of cash and spend that cash on renovating my house in Ballard.  I'll be making many of the same choices you're facing, so, do a good job so I can copy from your paper!

Be Just And Fear Not

8/27/2021 11:41 am  #212

I lived on NW Bright  Street, Ballard. when I was in graduate school in 1968.
I especially remember a great saloon on the corner with Leary Way, a custom fish cannery a block or two away and a short walk to the locks.

8/27/2021 6:44 pm  #213

Diaphone Jim wrote:

I especially remember a great saloon on the corner with Leary Way, a custom fish cannery a block or two away and a short walk to the locks.

Hey DJ!

That's cool that you and I both have spent time in Ballard.  [url=https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6600388,-122.3655194,3a,75y,299.9h,91.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgRlWIKoivChJxC0HyMprdw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192]Here's a link to that intersection now[/url], Bright and Leary. I have to say, I have not visited Mario's Pizza, but I'm familiar with the neighborhood.  You would *not* recognize Ballard now.  I bought my house in 1993, and I barely recognize it myself.  Use street view and go for a little walkabout in the neighborhood.  The Locks are there, as ever.  They're fascinating as always.

Be Just And Fear Not

8/27/2021 7:04 pm  #214

@UT and BigV - I don't know any local shops and have no idea how to find them.  I did a search, but every appliance store that came up seems to be a chain of some sort :/

Whelp, I got my sink, one (of two) ceiling fans, ordered hardware for the bathroom cabinets, two sets for the kitchen cabinets (cause I can't decide which ones I want), a big ass fan for the garage, and an actual hardware extension cord. 

It also looks like my gym flooring will be delivered way ahead of schedule on Tuesday.  I'm hoping I can convince them to back the truck up to the garage so it's close to drag the rolls to the gym.  Because it's coming soon, I'm focusing on a bunch of gym items this weekend: caulking the holes, priming the walls, attempting to hang a shelf, etc.

I need to work on getting some paint samples, too.  I don't like going into stores and talking to people, but it doesn't seem like I can order the colors online - I have to go into the Sherwin Williams store.  Grrr.  I just don't like feeling like an idiot and I'm sure I will.

8/27/2021 9:39 pm  #215

If you hadn't bought new hardware I'd suggest running them through a dishwasher once or twice.
Dishwashers are quite amazing at getting mung off. I think that nastyass detergent they use has something to do with it.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

8/28/2021 11:22 am  #216

BigV wrote:

Diaphone Jim wrote:

Hey DJ!

That's cool that you and I both have spent time in Ballard.  [url=https://www.google.com/maps/@47.6600388,-122.3655194,3a,75y,299.9h,91.57t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgRlWIKoivChJxC0HyMprdw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192]Here's a link to that intersection now[/url], Bright and Leary. I have to say, I have not visited Mario's Pizza, but I'm familiar with the neighborhood.  You would *not* recognize Ballard now.  I bought my house in 1993, and I barely recognize it myself.  Use street view and go for a little walkabout in the neighborhood.  The Locks are there, as ever.  They're fascinating as always.

Big Marios looks like the same building.  I had a nagging feeling about "saloon" all day.  In Seattle they call them "taverns."
bbro:  Sorry to hog your thread.

8/28/2021 5:31 pm  #217

@DJim - no worries

I feel fairly productive.  I got most of the caulking done in the gym.  I replaced the toilet seats in both bathrooms.  I attempted to clean the workbench in the garage, but I think it might be too far gone.  I'm only trying to make my friend happy

I scraped the floor in the sunroom and got a blister.  To be fair, I didn't notice it until the skin came off :/  I don't notice much difference in the room, sadly.  I think I'm gonna see what my friend can do when he has time
Before on the right

I replaced the knobs in the bathroom (the left one below, the right is the old)

I also realized that the cabinet in the bathroom smells like pee.  Like someone was actually peeing in there.  It's going to be painted with Kilz.  I was thinking of painting it, but not right away.  

I got the flooring for the laundry room, but half of it was damaged.  I'm going to take pictures tomorrow and the company is going to file a damage report with FedEx.  They're going to replace the damaged items, but I don't know how they're going to ship them since I'm sure FedEx will just screw it up again

At this point, it was around 2:30 and I hadn't eaten lunch since I forgot it at home.  I decided to go back and get something.....and see the dogs, so I took some "homework" with me.  I removed the paper from these kitchen and bathroom drawers.  It got easier as I went on.  There was one kitchen drawer that pulled off almost perfectly.  It. Was. Awesome.  Then there was one that had 3 layers of paper and the bottom layers didn't come off with my paint scraper.  I used a razor blade instead.
Before with some very confused dogs

Outside to get some air

Last edited by bbro (8/28/2021 5:32 pm)

8/28/2021 6:01 pm  #218

Hey bbro.  Are you having fun?  I'm having fun watching you in your homeowner-honeymoon phase.  

I truly love this stuff.  Like, for preferred time off choices.  Stained the deck stairs and steps today.  Tomorrow reupholstering a chair.  Cleaned / replaced filters... Just wait until your radius of work includes the outdoors.  Lawnmowing. Hedge trimming. Weeding.  Pruning. Watering, Deadheading.  There's no End. To. This. List.  But, honestly, honestly, I love it.  It's  really gratifying and relaxing.  

Your day (in the sun) will come.

Be Just And Fear Not

8/28/2021 6:26 pm  #219

I mowed, watered, picked up apples, cursed moskweetaz.... you look like you went crazy on adrenaline there, bbro. 

Good knob job, btw ;)

8/28/2021 6:40 pm  #220

@Big - I am enjoying it for the most part.  It will be really nice to see things start to finish, though.  I feel like I keep finding issues (see pee cabinet above) that need to be fixed sooner than planned.  I'm glad you're enjoying watching it   I'm not worrying about outside right now, but I did see some things I want to fix now before they get out of control.  I added them to my 7 page list 

@monster - sounds like a productive day for you, too!  A little adrenaline - lol.  I'm working on getting what I call boring stuff while my friend is unable to help.  I want to do fun things with him like demoing a creepy play house - lol.  Heh - knob job.  Wait until you see my kitchen knobs 

8/28/2021 7:52 pm  #221

hey, I ran a 5K before all that.... and went out and bought beer ....from THE WORLD'S SLOWEST CASHIER -who carded me!  ...........If I wasn't old enough when I joined the line, I certainly was by the time I got checked out....This person was 2 in front of me, I texted son in line home in a jiff... 15 mins later -no fucking change!  Same customer.  I suspect/hope the cashier was new but jeeze loufuckingise......

Last edited by monster (8/28/2021 7:53 pm)

8/28/2021 10:41 pm  #222

monster wrote:

Good knob job

Been a while since I could tell somebody that...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.

8/29/2021 10:38 am  #223

bbro wrote:

I scraped the floor in the sunroom and got a blister.  To be fair, I didn't notice it until the skin came off

tw wrote:

Also buy thick gloves to avert blisters.

One advantage of stain wood is how easily damage can be masked.  Get some stain (ie Minwax) that is same color (or lighter).  That will mask imperfections as a temporary solution to replacing cabinets.

Lighter?  If too light, then get a next darker color.  A stain that is too light can be darkened.  A stain that is too dark cannot easily be lightened.

8/29/2021 4:18 pm  #224

I managed to paint the inside of the bathroom cabinets.  I think the kilz is doing well on the odor, so I might just leave the outside for now.  It's a bit more effort than I want to put into it since I want to replace it asap.

Before.  I noticed I took more time to prep than I normally would have.  I suppose it's because I actually own it now 

Painting buddy

Pee cabinet after

All done

Bonus: random hole under the mirror.  Taking bets on what the fuck it is

I started on the kitchen cabinets - SO much harder than the drawers!  I also got to wondering if sanding and painting with a clear coat of polyurethane would deal with the odor, too.  A quick search says yes!  I think this will be easier for the kitchen because of the sheer amount of space that needs  to be coated.

8/29/2021 5:10 pm  #225

I have a vague recollection from an old post on the old home of the cellar that if you find a random hole, the best way to find out what it is is to pee in it.

Good Luck!

Board footera