cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/25/2020 2:43 pm  #1

nobody likes to be corrected

Can that be the mission statement of a society?

If we guide our actions by the principle that nobody likes to be corrected, two things happen:
--1) Nobody gets corrected. Therefore mistakes are repeated, and compound into new problems,
- - - rather than potentially being culled out via the critical thinking // feedback loop.
--2) If any attempt is made to correct any process which has gone off course, the culture of
- - - entitled persecution demands that revenge (worse outcomes) be created as an object lesson

In both options, things get worse, and never get better. This is a horrible mission statement.

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

11/25/2020 4:45 pm  #2

Re: nobody likes to be corrected

wouldn't you rather live in a civilization?

societies are for insects

11/25/2020 5:19 pm  #3

Which definition most accurately describes the real world?

"the stage of human social and cultural development and organization that is considered most advanced"

-or-

"the aggregate of people living together in a more or less ordered community"

11/25/2020 5:25 pm  #4

Flint wrote:

Which definition most accurately describes the real world?

"the stage of human social and cultural development and organization that is considered most advanced"

-or-

"the aggregate of people living together in a more or less ordered community"

which one ought we aspire to?

11/25/2020 5:30 pm  #5

If given the choice between hubris and realism, I would base my decisions on realism.

11/25/2020 5:39 pm  #6

Flint wrote:

If given the choice between hubris and realism, I would base my decisions on realism.

you see hubris: I see aspiration

11/25/2020 5:47 pm  #7

A mission statement is an aspirational proposition, it isn't a statement of current state. If your mission statement (aspiration) would be to achieve the most advanced stage of civilization, then all you've achieved is looping back to the beginning of the thread without answering the question.

11/25/2020 5:56 pm  #8

Flint wrote:

A mission statement is an aspirational proposition, it isn't a statement of current state. If your mission statement (aspiration) would be to achieve the most advanced stage of civilization, then all you've achieved is looping back to the beginning of the thread without answering the question.

your statement & question...

nobody likes to be corrected

Can that be the mission statement of a society?

...doesn't interest me

all you wanna know is it okay for ants to correct ants

if that's your grounding, then -- sure -- ants can correct ants...order the society through right think...knock yourself out...hive livin' has its place, I guess

11/25/2020 6:02 pm  #9

"nobody likes to be corrected"
Can that be the mission statement of a society that aspires to be a civilization?
Can it be the mission statement of a civilization that aspires to achieve it's most advanced stage?

If we guide our actions by the principle that nobody likes to be corrected, two things happen:
--1) Nobody gets corrected. Therefore mistakes (like, a mathematical error in a bank statement) are repeated, and compound into new problems,
- - - rather than potentially being culled out via the critical thinking // feedback loop.
--2) If any attempt is made to correct any process which has gone off course, the culture of
- - - entitled persecution demands that revenge (worse outcomes) be created as an object lesson

In both options, things get worse, and never get better. This is a horrible mission statement.

Last edited by Flint (11/25/2020 6:04 pm)

11/25/2020 6:12 pm  #10

"nobody likes to be corrected"
Can that be the mission statement of a society that aspires to be a civilization?
Can it be the mission statement of a civilization that aspires to achieve it's most advanced stage?

no

civilized men & women recognize that each is his own...that means respectin' life, liberty, and property, not bein' a damn noodge

11/25/2020 6:14 pm  #11

Sounds like your answer is "yes" then... ??

11/25/2020 6:25 pm  #12

Flint wrote:

Sounds like your answer is "yes" then... ??

no...you'd correct a man's thinkin'...I recognize a man's ownness

yours is fine for the anthill...mine is the undergirdin' of civilization (as I see it, anyway)

you'd have folks be nice...I'd have folks live

11/25/2020 6:27 pm  #13

is "nobody likes to be corrected" a good mission statement?
--yes or no--
your answer is yes

11/25/2020 6:31 pm  #14

Flint wrote:

is "nobody likes to be corrected" a good mission statement?
--yes or no--
your answer is yes

no, it's not cuz nobody likes to be corrected is not a good mission statement

11/25/2020 6:32 pm  #15

So your position is that we SHOULD correct people?

11/25/2020 6:35 pm  #16

Flint wrote:

So your position is that we SHOULD correct people?

no

don't game play, guy

you asked a specific question; I answered it

11/25/2020 6:38 pm  #17

jesus, henry. is THIS a good mission statement?--
"DON'T CORRECT PEOPLE BECAUSE THEY DON'T LIKE IT" ??

11/25/2020 6:43 pm  #18

Flint wrote:

jesus, henry. is THIS a good mission statement?--

it sucks

this...

a man belongs to himself
his life, liberty, and property are his
his life, liberty, or property is only forfeit, in part or whole, when he knowingly, willingly, without just cause, deprives another, in part or whole, of life, liberty, or property

...is a good mission statement

11/25/2020 6:54 pm  #19

do you AGREE with this statement?--

11/25/2020 7:00 pm  #20

Flint wrote:

do you AGREE with this statement?--

no...my thievin' buddy needed correctin'

no, don't correct people cuz, unless they're stealin', rapin', or murderin', it ain't none of your business

11/25/2020 7:06 pm  #21

Okay, fair answer. I should have remembered that from the other thread.

So you would intervene if someone is depriving another, in part or whole, of life, liberty, or property.

What if you saw ME not intervening when I witnessed someone depriving another individual's life/liberty/property? You only had access to ME and your intervention would be to ask me to intervene in the original transaction, because at the bottom of it, someone is having their life/liberty/property deprived.

Would you do that?

11/25/2020 8:27 pm  #22

So you would intervene if someone is depriving another, in part or whole, of life, liberty, or property.

generally, yeah...but I can imagine circumstances where I wouldn't (see below for explanation)

What if you saw ME not intervening when I witnessed someone depriving another individual's life/liberty/property? You only had access to ME and your intervention would be to ask me to intervene in the original transaction, because at the bottom of it, someone is having their life/liberty/property deprived.

Would you do that?

well, I'm not seein' how I can witness you not intervenin' but be unable to intervene myself, and if I can intervene, then what the hell do I care what you do?

the problem with these thought experiments is their vagueness...I can generate multiple scenarios from each where what I'll do varies

I don't object to thought experiments but they need to be concrete and realistic

for example: you see a man about to be electrocuted, what do you do?

scenario: if he's been convicted of child rape & murder, I'll pull the switch

different scenario: if a live radio is about to fall into his hot tub, I yell and try to grab the radio

see what I mean?

Last edited by henry_quirk (11/25/2020 8:32 pm)

11/27/2020 6:33 pm  #23

I'm not seein' how I can witness you not intervenin' but be unable to intervene myself,

The person who breached the contract ran away without you getting their name or description, but you know that I have the ability to contact them and ask them to pay the restaurant bill. Your only option is to ask me to ask my buddy to pay the bill, or do nothing. What would you do?

Last edited by Flint (11/27/2020 6:34 pm)

11/27/2020 6:45 pm  #24

Flint wrote:

I'm not seein' how I can witness you not intervenin' but be unable to intervene myself,

The person who breached the contract ran away without you getting their name or description, but you know that I have the ability to contact them and ask them to pay the restaurant bill. Your only option is to ask me to ask my buddy to pay the bill, or do nothing. What would you do?

what contract?

you're jumpin' from scenario to scenario without ponyin' up details

anyway, goin' with what I got here, which seems to be someone ate & ran & didn't pay: if I'm aware of the theft, & know you know who done it, I'll let the restaurant folks know, let them know you know who done it, & then go about my business

11/27/2020 8:30 pm  #25

Okay, sorry if confusing. That's a good answer to the question as I intended it to mean.

Board footera