cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2021 9:05 am  #126

Re: think on it...

hey, bruce!

henry_quirk wrote:

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

I've already read that thread and you haven't convinced me any of your selected morality is a fact. You believe slavery is wrong, so do I, but there are plenty of people that disagree. Therefore it's not a fact, it's an opinion.

why?

I can, and have, told you why slavery is wrong

your turn

1/31/2021 12:47 pm  #127

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

Climate change has been proven, it is a fact. What's causing it is being debated, and won't become a fact until proven one way or the other.

What can you mean by that claim, Bruce?  You can't mean that if carbon emissions eventually turn out to be causing climate change, that they weren't the factual cause until they were discovered, can you?   The "facts" go on, regardless of somebody's "opinions."  And if they aren't the cause, then no number of "opinions," however passionately held or however popular among ever so many people, will ever make them the cause.

That's one definition of "reality," as Jordan Peterson has said:  "Reality is the thing that pushes back against your stupid theory."  A blunt way to put it, perhaps, but opinions are just "theories" about  how things are.  And they may or may not turn out to be facts.  

But whether or not anything turns out to be "reality" or "a fact" will never depend even one iota on an "opinion."  There are good and bad "opinions": and the difference always turns out to be whether or not they conform to reality.

2/07/2021 7:24 pm  #128

It's still theory until proven to be a fact.  In all cases we're talking about human knowledge of reality.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce (2/07/2021 7:30 pm)

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

2/07/2021 8:30 pm  #129

xoxoxoBruce wrote:

It's still theory until proven to be a fact.  In all cases we're talking about human knowledge of reality.

Actually, it's a fact regardless of what theories people have.  And the right theory will turn out to be the one that lines up with the facts that already exist.

We must not mistake an epistemological problem (i.e.  the question "What do people presently know?") for an ontological problem (i.e. "What actually exists, regardless of what people think they know.")  Our ignorance of the facts does not change any facts, or make them not facts.  It just makes us wrong.

2/08/2021 9:53 am  #130

So, I've subscribed to the fire department and the pay cops, but the fire department is resisting a rate increase with the corporation that owns the roads to my place, and the negotiations aren't going well.  So the fire department can't get to my house if there's a fire.  The police CAN, but they do not offer fire protection.

What do?

Weaponized Funk

2/08/2021 9:55 am  #131

Another:  

I cannot pay my fee for the use of roads, because I have been right-sized by the corporation I work for (which offered as a benefit a subsidization of the road fee). Can I use the sidewalk, or is there a risk that the road's owner will have the pay cops come by and arrest me for that?  I can't afford the jail fees.

Weaponized Funk

2/08/2021 9:59 am  #132

My road subscription was sold by the previous road owner to Comcast, who has written me to tell me that I must now choose a plan.  I have the following options:

1.  500 miles/month for $30 (overage penalties are at $3/mile)
2.  750 miles/month for $43 (overage penalties are at $2.90/mile)
3.  Unlimited driving for $280/mo 

They say I can bundle this with my phone, cable, and internet at a 10% reduction on all services.

Weaponized Funk

2/08/2021 10:40 am  #133

Luce wrote:

So, I've subscribed to the fire department and the pay cops, but the fire department is resisting a rate increase with the corporation that owns the roads to my place, and the negotiations aren't going well.  So the fire department can't get to my house if there's a fire.  The police CAN, but they do not offer fire protection.

What do?

You have "pay cops" and a "subscription fire department"?  

2/08/2021 12:16 pm  #134

IC wrote:

Luce wrote:

What do?

I just like to have fun with libertarian ideas like the one in the OP.

Weaponized Funk

2/08/2021 12:53 pm  #135

Luce wrote:

IC wrote:

Luce wrote:

What do?

I just like to have fun with libertarian ideas like the one in the OP.

problem with yer lil scenarios is you imagine them happenin' in a state capitalism/welfare state instead of a free enterprise minarchy

most of the criticism you folks foist up about (any strain of) libertarianism are rendered null when the problems you imagine are considered in the proper context

roads, for example: most folks value them and are willin' to pay to have them

where folks get their undies twisted is with a seemingly unaccountable system takin' their money, ostensibly to maintain current roads and build new ones, and then findin themselves -- year in and year out --  drivin' on crappy roads with new roads never bein' built, or bein' built -- substandard-like -- only after years of expensive dickin' around with studies and commissions

simply: it ain't road-buildin' (or fire prevention or police or whatever else you wanna rub your nipples against) that's the problem, and it ain't free folks that's the problem

it's gov that's the problem

Last edited by henry_quirk (2/08/2021 1:15 pm)

2/08/2021 2:49 pm  #136

And we should replace it with nothing?

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

2/08/2021 3:15 pm  #137

Flint wrote:

And we should replace it with nothing?

you need to read, not scan

2/08/2021 3:17 pm  #138

lol

2/08/2021 4:38 pm  #139

henry_quirk wrote:

simply: it ain't road-buildin' (or fire prevention or police or whatever else you wanna rub your nipples against) that's the problem, and it ain't free folks that's the problem

Yes, and you can either have those things with a government, or you can go with the descriptions I gave.  Those are your two options.

Weaponized Funk

2/08/2021 5:37 pm  #140

Luce wrote:

henry_quirk wrote:

Yes, and you can either have those things with a government, or you can go with the descriptions I gave.  Those are your two options.

there's a viable third...I've written about it here, in the old place, and elsewhere

but: you won't have none of it...*shrug*...as you like

2/08/2021 6:14 pm  #141

I was gonna say, there is a third option-- just cross your fingers and hope that everything works out, with no planning and no organization.

2/08/2021 6:40 pm  #142

Flint wrote:

I was gonna say, there is a third option-- just cross your fingers and hope that everything works out, with no planning and no organization.

I'm not sure which is more pathetic...

the ones who insist they ought to govern

...or...

the ones who insist they ought to be governed

2/08/2021 6:49 pm  #143

Or the guy who wants to build his own sewer and live every day in a feud-to-the-death with his neighbors.

2/08/2021 7:00 pm  #144

Flint wrote:

Or the guy who wants to build his own sewer and live every day in a feud-to-the-death with his neighbors.

see, it's that kinda moronic statement that illustrates you've never read or understood a damn thing I've written

ain't nuthin' about a natural rights minarchy, or natural rights libertarianism, or free enterprise that leads to what you describe

meh

you're a waste of my time

but -- sometimes -- you amuse, so, here, have a 🍪

2/08/2021 8:05 pm  #145

I guess there's hope for anyone who has a sense of humor.

henry_quirk wrote:

ain't nuthin' about a natural rights minarchy, or natural rights libertarianism, or free enterprise that leads to what you describe

What I think you're missing is where the burden of proof lies. There's nothing about natural rights that guarantee the outcomes I describe wouldn't be the result. Why? Because any natural system isn't designed to move from chaos to order-- that's the opposite of the way things work. Entropy will produce chaos out of everything that exists, eventually. We've got to hang on and preserve any order we can--it's survival. People like you think that if you tear everything down, something better will just somehow fill the gap. That's not how anything works. That's a fantasy, and a naive one at that. You can gripe about leashes and slaves all you want, the fact is-- you've got nothing else to offer. Your ideas are magical thinking.

If you have ideas for improving things, that's something of value. Just saying "tear everything down and then hope for the best" is hogwash.

Last edited by Flint (2/08/2021 8:12 pm)

2/08/2021 8:14 pm  #146

There's nothing about natural rights that guarantee the outcomes I describe wouldn't be the result.

are you retarded, or are you just fuckin' with me?

minarchy: go read sumthin' on the subject instead of movin' yer fingers across a keyboard

now, enjoy the bounty of a stranger...

2/08/2021 9:40 pm  #147

You've described it very effectively. I understand it perfectly, unless you're describing it wrong.

You think you can throw a bunch of watch parts in a box and a Rolex will appear. No need for anyone to get an education and be capable of designing it, no need for a supply chain or economic system to provide the raw materials, you just *want* a watch and bingo, bango-- magical results

Think this is a mischarecterization? Buddy, you're the one saying we should tear down thousands of years of human effort, and--if you wish upon a shooting star-- a better society will magically spring up from the ground.

Last edited by Flint (2/08/2021 9:42 pm)

2/08/2021 10:24 pm  #148

You've described it very effectively.

yes, I did

I understand it perfectly

no, you don't, not if you think I advocate for...

tear(ing) down thousands of years of human effort

...or...

a better society magically spring(ing) up from the ground

but, enough of this...merry-go-rounds ain't my thang

you think I'm wrong; I think you're wrong

I'll never get you to see the value of a minimal proxy; you'll never get me to see the value of a large, involved government

you prefer a well-managed economy; I believe free enterprise is superior

you crave a safety net; I don't

it's the same as it always was

✌️

2/09/2021 11:23 am  #149

henry_quirk wrote:

you crave a safety net; I don't

You are absolutely free to not use the safety net if you so desire.

Weaponized Funk

2/09/2021 11:24 am  #150

henry_quirk wrote:

Luce wrote:

henry_quirk wrote:

there's a viable third...I've written about it here, in the old place, and elsewhere

but: you won't have none of it...*shrug*...as you like

There is not.  Any alternate system will eventually move to one of those two systems.  By which I mean "By next Tuesday."

Weaponized Funk

Board footera