cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/02/2020 11:44 pm  #1

Getting Quirk back in its box

henry_quirk wrote:

host pic

Rest In Peace, Mr. Williams

None of it belongs to me.  But it is likely that some is owed to your community.

How about first, you prove to me that you have not benefitted from society in any way.  No public school, libraries, roads.... No health care care from any individual trained with any public funds or using any knowledge from studies publicly funded in any way.  Who also never used a public library or public roads......

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

12/03/2020 5:51 am  #2

Re: Getting Quirk back in its box

you prove to me

why?

12/03/2020 10:41 am  #3

Undertoad wrote:

Where in the "community" is the "box" ?

wherever it is: I've never been in it and I ain't goin' in it now

12/03/2020 1:24 pm  #4

Some of my tax dollars are going towards providing internet and laptops for poor kids, so they can do their school online. My kids have laptops, so I'm not worried about me-- this is purely to benefit others who need the help, for whatever reason. Everybody has hard times, it's not my place to judge. At any rate, there is no circumstance where it is the KIDS' fault if their family is poor.

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

12/03/2020 2:26 pm  #5

Flint wrote:

Some of my tax dollars are going towards providing internet and laptops for poor kids, so they can do their school online. My kids have laptops, so I'm not worried about me-- this is purely to benefit others who need the help, for whatever reason. Everybody has hard times, it's not my place to judge. At any rate, there is no circumstance where it is the KIDS' fault if their family is poor.

bottomline: you want to pay for other folks...that's damned white of you, flint...keep doin' that

and: you're comfortable payin' for others through the gov...good on you

me: I prefer local charities...I think local charities are more effective, more responsible, and -- yes -- more discernin' (cuz not everyone askin' for help actually needs help)

12/03/2020 2:31 pm  #6

That's what a government is. To "provide for the general welfare" like the Constitution says. Managing the affairs of a large number of people needs to be organized, and voting for representatives seems like a good way to manage that, as opposed to the alternative-- no rules,  the strong prey on the weak, and a handful of powerful corporations control everything.

12/03/2020 4:14 pm  #7

Flint wrote:

That's what a government is. To "provide for the general welfare" like the Constitution says. Managing the affairs of a large number of people needs to be organized, and voting for representatives seems like a good way to manage that, as opposed to the alternative-- no rules,  the strong prey on the weak, and a handful of powerful corporations control everything.

what you seem to say it's big gov or nuthin'

there are other options

and...

the 'murican system -- from the grievances listed in the declaration, through the remedy of those grievances in the constitution, to the practical expression of of those remedies in the day-to-day -- was to be a bulwark against  greed...and the desire for power...limited narrow governance was to be the way of things...men were to be empowered briefly, to perform a few necessary functions, on behalf of other men...they were to serve...these men were never meant to direct cultures, to pick winners, to enrich themselves, to exempt themselves from law they make or enforce or arbitrate...they were meant to burdened with stricture and obstacle and always left wanting

and...

gov exists on multiple levels, beginning with each man as he organizes with his neighbors...there's no need for overarchin' national oversight of the population as men oversee themselves right where they are

12/03/2020 4:37 pm  #8

I seem to say.. what? I don't even know what "big government" means.

12/03/2020 4:43 pm  #9

Flint wrote:

I seem to say.. what? I don't even know what "big government" means.

my mistake, then

Board footera