cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/08/2020 12:21 pm  #1

Sundae's mum's not been well.

She's had a couple of mini-strokes. Now home again and investigations are ongoing. Not sure how this impacts her caring for Sundae's dad.
Does anyone want to message me good wishes for her and I'll stick 'em in an appropriate card and post it to her?
Cheers.

Living life on the edge.

12/15/2020 2:41 am  #2

Re: Sundae's mum's not been well.

I'm sure we all wish her well, it's really rough when both side of a partnership break down.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

1/05/2021 6:42 am  #3

Got this email today from Sundae's mum:
"
Thank you so much for sending on that lovely card from The Cellar gang. So much appreciated.Sundae's dad is still in care as I have been very ill since mid Dec and unable to care for myself properly let alone him. He hasn’t been home since mid Nov but I Skype him on my good days and they hold the tablet to his face. He is very bemused by it all but seems happy.They thought I had Covid as I was coughing night and day and couldn't eat. On my own all through as no one would come near me until the test results showed I was negative. The results took 7 days to come back. Might as well live in Africa.Never felt so ill in my life. Cancer treatment was a piece of piss compared to this. It was a terrible infection that is clearing so well with antibiotics.I lost a lot of weight and still haven’t got my strength back. Now have daily high protein drinks on prescription and trying to get myself back on track.DiL and Son have been good at shopping and sliding stuff across the kitchen floor all masked up. Niece had Covid ruining their Christmas too.My good neighbours continue to chuck in papers and goodies but still steer clear, bless then.Keep well and safe."

Living life on the edge.

1/05/2021 7:53 am  #4

I am praying for Sundaes family.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

1/05/2021 7:55 am  #5

That sounds like a rough go. 7 days for a test result seems excessive at this stage.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/05/2021 9:54 am  #6

I was just wondering how she was doing last night, thanks for letting us know.  Poor Mama Sundae.  Sounds a bit like Banana Lady's predicament.  She is now on the mend too

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/05/2021 10:04 am  #7

griff wrote:

That sounds like a rough go. 7 days for a test result seems excessive at this stage.

Don't get me started on the multilayer fuck-up and chaos that is the British way of "handling" this pandemic.

Living life on the edge.

1/05/2021 11:35 am  #8

@ "Cancer treatment was a piece of piss compared to this"   Don't mince your words, girl!

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/05/2021 1:25 pm  #9

Limey wrote:

griff wrote:

Don't get me started on the multilayer fuck-up and chaos that is the British way of "handling" this pandemic.

Its been bad enough its driven my SiL out of the NHS after almost 30 years

She fought to get her team and the team in the valley proper PPE for their visits to home patients and nursing home patients - they were told they didn't need to wear the full aprons. So my SiL and some of the others used some of their team budgets to purchase proper full aprons (washable, cover for back and front) and the NHS Trust told her they would be disciplined if they wore it - they were supposed to use the normal pinny that just covers the front. 

Bear in mind they were going from home to home - sometimes providing care to patients with Covid 

So they got washable pinnies and wore two - with one to cover the back. 

They got threatened with disciplinary action if they wore both. 

Meanwhile, she was trying to offer palliative care for patients at home or in nursing homes and finding it difficult to get ad hoc medicines or doctor support out of hours and spending hours in the 111 queue like she was just another patient - there wasnt a way to access it direct. 

She ended up going off with stress and then while she was off with stress they changed he guidance to have the community nursing teams wearing full washable aprons after all. 4 months into the pandemic

She starts her new job for a medical charity  (I think) next week

1/05/2021 1:27 pm  #10

Sad to hear Momma Sundae is having a hard time. This kind of shit is hard enough without trying to cope with it during a pandemic

3/01/2021 7:39 am  #11

I missed this thread somehow...

Thank you, Limey, for letting us know.

I'm glad it seems she's on the mend.  Any additional news?

3/01/2021 2:28 pm  #12

Sundae’s mum is a lot better herself. She recently emailed to say that Sundae’s dad went into a permanent care home, instead of the temporary home he had been in since November when she was in hospital. A half hour walk from their flat. She reports that “It and the staff are lovely and welcoming. They even gave me lunch and I was able to be with [Dads] for 15 mins in his room. I had to wear a mask, visor, apron and plastic gloves plus have the dreaded Covid nose/throat test. He does not know me by name these days but seems very happy and relaxed in himself.”

Living life on the edge.

3/01/2021 3:27 pm  #13

That is some good news.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/01/2021 5:30 pm  #14

That is very good news. Sorry about Sundae's Dad though.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

3/02/2021 1:59 pm  #15

Thanks for the update, Limes!

3/03/2021 12:05 am  #16

Limey wrote:

Sundae’s mum is a lot better herself. She recently emailed to say that Sundae’s dad went into a permanent care home, instead of the temporary home he had been in since November when she was in hospital. A half hour walk from their flat. She reports that “It and the staff are lovely and welcoming. They even gave me lunch and I was able to be with [Dads] for 15 mins in his room. I had to wear a mask, visor, apron and plastic gloves plus have the dreaded Covid nose/throat test. He does not know me by name these days but seems very happy and relaxed in himself.”

Hi Limey

by way of Limey, or Providence, or wtf-ever, Hello Mum and Dad of Sundae

Hello!

Glad to hear things are better!  

Well.  

That sounds like shit.

Limey, would you please summon all your empathy and admin powers and express to them on my behalf friendliness and care and attention.  This is all very, very much a little *too* on point tonight.

I should also note that I wish to quote Grav for expressing exactly my feelings (not for the first time, not for the last), 

It's all just very sad.

Be Just And Fear Not

3/03/2021 5:25 am  #17

fargon wrote:

That is very good news. Sorry about Sundae's Dad though.

I was kind of glad to hear he is off in his own little world avoiding much of the stress and loneliness Mum is going through.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

Board footera