cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/14/2020 2:11 pm  #1

I am glum.

Some days you have to fight harder than others just to stay afloat and today is already one of those days.  It's only noon and already I've worked hard towards two things and both have turned around and pushed me back under.  It's hard to keep finding the will and I'm upset by people I thought were decent supporting anti gay and anti science behavior and I just wish I could curl up for a bit and let someone else take care of it all.  Thanks for listening.  Now I need to find the oomph to stain the deck whilst the weather is in the ballpark and bake a birthday cake but I don't feel like doing anything right now because they'll probably turn and bite me too.  Whine whine whine poor me

....and apparently I couldn't even post a thread properly.  Now it's 3pm and two more things have gone tits up.
.  I have got as far as getting my painting clothes on and finding the right brush 

onward...

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

10/14/2020 2:21 pm  #2

Re: I am glum.

The only good thing about days like that is they quickly become yesterday

10/14/2020 2:30 pm  #3

Onward, tenaciously.

Living life on the edge.

10/14/2020 2:54 pm  #4

What are you painting?

10/14/2020 3:35 pm  #5

Sorry monster.  Just add getting the paintbrush out to the list, and then you can cross THAT off.

10/14/2020 3:40 pm  #6

Staining her deck.

It's a good zen thing to do today.  Focus on each brush stroke, giving it your full attention.  Don't think about anything.  Especially not what else might go wrong.  Things go as they go. 

Work on perfecting your stroke.  Smooth and light at each end, overlap so much, dip the brush, wipe the drip, stroke.

Keep the words quiet in your head.  You don't need them for this job.

10/14/2020 4:13 pm  #7

lumberjim wrote:

Staining her deck.

It's a good zen thing to do today. Focus on each brush stroke, giving it your full attention. Don't think about anything. Especially not what else might go wrong. Things go as they go.

Work on perfecting your stroke. Smooth and light at each end, overlap so much, dip the brush, wipe the drip, stroke.

Keep the words quiet in your head. You don't need them for this job.

perfect

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

10/14/2020 4:16 pm  #8

lumberjim.. you are a beautiful man

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

10/14/2020 6:50 pm  #9

Ha no.  Fast and furious is my style, after the first few gentle strokes to apply the paint.  It's been a while since I've done anything that needed that sort of wrist action, I'll be stiff tomorrow...  

I got most of it done before I lost the light/my wrist told me to fuck off.  I'll try and finish in the morning before the noon birthday celebration for thunderboi.  Still have to bake that cake.......

"Don't think about anything"  lol   Bless your little cotton socks

Last edited by monster (10/14/2020 6:50 pm)

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

10/14/2020 7:08 pm  #10

I should have thought today's to-do list through more thoroughly.  Baking a cake require similar movements to deck staining.  I'm so fucked.   I had only two jobs.....

I am less glum now, but the universe can still bugger off.

10/14/2020 7:15 pm  #11

Yep. Right there with you. I have a pile of paint brushes that I just keep in a bucket of water bc why clean them if they are just going to get used again tomorrow? or next week, or next month.
Some days...

Hey! That's me up there!

10/14/2020 7:43 pm  #12

yup, the brush is bagged up.... and on the cat lit box by the door so it will piss the cats off when they are waiting to be let out in the morning and they will let me know I need to finish the damn job pronto.

OK Chaps, the bun is in the oven!

....and for the Brits among us old enough to remember 'Allo 'Allo:  I ripitt, ze bunn iz in zi ovenn. over.

10/14/2020 8:45 pm  #13

and I didn't even burn the bottom!    oo-eerrr Mrs.

10/14/2020 10:57 pm  #14

You burnt my bottom

10/14/2020 11:01 pm  #15

that was those extra chilis you added

10/14/2020 11:06 pm  #16

I wish you lived next door to me.

I'd drop by and crop dust you

10/14/2020 11:19 pm  #17

motherfucker

10/14/2020 11:24 pm  #18

Not anymore I'm not.

10/14/2020 11:31 pm  #19

fair.

10/14/2020 11:32 pm  #20

I think I might need to move house....

10/15/2020 7:34 am  #21

monster wrote:

motherfucker

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

10/15/2020 8:13 am  #22

footfootfoot wrote:

Yep. Right there with you. I have a pile of paint brushes that I just keep in a bucket of water bc why clean them if they are just going to get used again tomorrow? or next week, or next month.
Some days...

I haven't tried this, but saw this video yesterday, produced by a guy I trust.

10/15/2020 9:08 am  #23

Ugh, the weather lied it was supposed to be dry until next week.  It's been raining all morning.  The stained/sealed bit is looking good, but now Ill have to wait forever for the rain to stip and the wood to dry before i can complete the job -and it's already cleaned and prepped so nice an porous....  and my arse is stiff from the weird positions I was sitting in.

And my son (whose birthday it is) is not having a good day/period in his life.

The day, I hope, can only improve

At least I only have to try and finish the cake and not worry about the deck, I suppose.

10/17/2020 5:42 pm  #24

finished!  the weather should be warm enough for the next 12 hours and the rain seems to be holding off long enough!   There was a little direct sunlight and it was kinda chilly on the extremities, but it's done and ready for the next 6 winters :D go me.

10/17/2020 5:48 pm  #25

Go you!

Living life on the edge.

Board footera