cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/17/2020 8:42 am  #1

What if the role of government was to serve people?

New Zealand Will Give Free Coronavirus Vaccines To Residents, Neighboring NationsNew Zealand has advance purchased two new coronavirus vaccines from pharmaceutical companies AstraZeneca and Novavax, giving the small island country the ability to vaccinate its 5 million residents.Government officials also announced Thursday they will go a step further and provide free doses to its population as well as neighboring nations Tokelau, Cook Islands, Niue, Samoa, Tonga, and Tuvalu, should they want them.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/12/17/947403839/new-zealand-will-give-free-coronavirus-vaccines-to-residents-neighboring-nations

Keep in mind that this is a pretty poor nation.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/17/2020 2:12 pm  #2

Re: What if the role of government was to serve people?

People originally gathered together into large groups for commerce-- to trade. The innovations of society skyrocketed, as we needed organizational tools like accounting systems. It soon becomes apparent that public works (like a system of roads) boost the efficiency of civilization-- at it's core, a mutually beneficial system wherein everyone's quality of life improves. We-- humans, whose fundamental nature is social and cooperative, develop a system where we pool our resources, and collectively allocate funds into public projects-- the size and scope of which are not achievable at the individual level. This is the hallmark of a modern civilization, and it is enshrined in the Constitution of the United States.

Any political ideology which organizes around decrying public works and public funds is by definition anti-civilization, and anti-American.

Last edited by Flint (12/17/2020 2:28 pm)

signature s c h m i g n a t u r e

12/17/2020 2:37 pm  #3

That's the reality, but the reality has to fight the Loner American Cowboy mythology.  People lap that fantasy shit up while they rely entirely on the community to keep them alive.

12/17/2020 5:31 pm  #4

Flint wrote:

People originally gathered together into large groups for commerce-- to trade. The innovations of society skyrocketed, as we needed organizational tools like accounting systems. It soon becomes apparent that public works (like a system of roads) boost the efficiency of civilization-- at it's core, a mutually beneficial system wherein everyone's quality of life improves. We-- humans, whose fundamental nature is social and cooperative, develop a system where we pool our resources, and collectively allocate funds into public projects-- the size and scope of which are not achievable at the individual level. This is the hallmark of a modern civilization, and it is enshrined in the Constitution of the United States.

Any political ideology which organizes around decrying public works and public funds is by definition anti-civilization, and anti-American.

I love how that other thing enshrined in the constitution (and foundational to civilization)  -- liberty -- never shows up in your lil essay...  👍

Last edited by henry_quirk (12/17/2020 6:30 pm)

12/17/2020 5:36 pm  #5

glatt wrote:

That's the reality, but the reality has to fight the Loner American Cowboy mythology.  People lap that fantasy shit up while they rely entirely on the community to keep them alive.

how's the chafing? you know, around your throat, from the leash

Last edited by henry_quirk (12/17/2020 5:38 pm)

12/17/2020 7:20 pm  #6

henry_quirk wrote:

Flint wrote:

I love how that other thing enshrined in the constitution (and foundational to civilization) -- liberty -- never shows up in your lil essay... 👍

Lots of things that we all do have and enjoy are absent from his lil essay, but you can be sure the public roads, mentioned above, are a fine way to exercise that liberty.

You're not really suggesting that his post should be an exhaustive, comprehensive enumeration of the hallmarks of civilization enshrined in the Constitution, are you?

Be Just And Fear Not

12/18/2020 3:08 am  #7

henry_quirk wrote:

I love how that other thing enshrined in the constitution (and foundational to civilization)  -- liberty -- never shows up in your lil essay...  👍

It's not the subject of this thread. Some of us actually read other people's posts and try to engage in a genuine conversation.

Last edited by Flint (12/18/2020 3:19 am)

12/18/2020 8:37 am  #8

You're not really suggesting...

all I'm doin' is pointin' out the conspicuous absence of liberty in flint's lil essay on government & civilization

It's not the subject of this thread.

What if the role of government was to serve people?: some folks think preserving individual liberty is one of the roles of government and that a true civilization is undergirded by individual liberty

12/18/2020 1:54 pm  #9

Some people think Star Trek the original series was better than The Next Generation.

wHy aRe'Nt yOu tALkiNg aBoUt sTaR tReK, hEnRy ..?? VERY S U S P I C I O U S don't u think .. ??

Last edited by Flint (12/18/2020 1:57 pm)

12/18/2020 6:23 pm  #10

the problem is that some people have radically different ideas about what "individual liberty" means and what things are intolerable violations of liberty. some people think that the idea of a landlord being able to take half your money so that you can live in your house, a much bigger violation of liberty, than curtailing your right to extort people for housing. some people's have a view of "liberty" that considers taxation a more onerous overreach of power than corporate profiteering or economic exploitation. some people don't.

12/18/2020 6:44 pm  #11

Some people think Star Trek the original series was better than The Next Generation.

ds9 was the best, overall, of the franchise, and -- in multiple episodes -- the characters talked about & referenced liberty more than you

an old creole chef, a maquis leader, a friggin' ferengi bar owner were all more interested in liberty than you

the second half of the series was dominated by war between -- bottomline -- free individuals (the shaky, shiftin' alliance of the alpha quadrant) and slavers (the changeling-ruled dominion of the gamma quadrant)

it's very clear: you would enjoy the shelterin', well-appointed cage, of the dominion

not that the federation was all that different: as the maquis leader said...

I know you. I was like you once. But then I opened my eyes. Open your eyes, Captain. Why is the Federation so obsessed with the Maquis? We've never harmed you. And yet we're constantly arrested and charged with terrorism. Starships chase us through the Badlands, and our supporters are harassed and ridiculed. Why? Because we've left the Federation, and that's the one thing you can't accept. Nobody leaves Paradise, everyone should want to be in the Federation! Hell, you even want the Cardassians to join. You're only sending them replicators because one day, they can take their rightful place on the Federation Council. You know, in some ways, you're even worse than the Borg. At least they tell you about their plans for assimilation. You're more insidious, you assimilate people - and they don't even know it.

and the borg: before the ruinous introduction of the queen in the movie, the borg was the ultimate in public (collective) works...there was no pesky individuality to screw the pooch

mebbe drone-life is for you

yes, as I think on it, bein' borg would suit you

Last edited by henry_quirk (12/18/2020 6:53 pm)

12/18/2020 6:52 pm  #12

erika wrote:

the problem is that some people have radically different ideas about what "individual liberty" means and what things are intolerable violations of liberty. some people think that the idea of a landlord being able to take half your money so that you can live in your house, a much bigger violation of liberty, than curtailing your right to extort people for housing. some people's have a view of "liberty" that considers taxation a more onerous overreach of power than corporate profiteering or economic exploitation. some people don't.

your house: if you rent, it ain't yours

taxation:ain't nuthin' wrong with it if all parties involved are on the same page

gimme me a concrete example of corporate profiteering or economic exploitation

12/18/2020 7:24 pm  #13

Still a non-sequitur. And apparently, just another excuse to incessantly accuse me of weird, random crap you read online, regardless of whether it has anything to do with my actual beliefs, which you haven't made even a cursory attempt to understand or ask about.

12/18/2020 8:40 pm  #14

Flint wrote:

Still a non-sequitur. And apparently, just another excuse to incessantly accuse me of weird, random crap you read online, regardless of whether it has anything to do with my actual beliefs, which you haven't made even a cursory attempt to understand or ask about.

guy, I care as much about your beliefs as you do mine

and: pointin' out liberty is germane to a discussion about government is a non sequitur...who'd a thunk it?

as for pop-culture: don't bring up no pop-culture and there won't be no pop-culture

12/18/2020 8:42 pm  #15

the problem is that some people have radically different ideas about what "individual liberty" means

just like some folks have radically different ideas about what the role of government ought to be

12/18/2020 11:00 pm  #16

Well, let's hear that great case you're making for Liberty. So far, you managed to cause a big stink but you ain't said sh!t to explain yourself.  What I learned is-- people whose favorite vocabulary word is Liberty can't tell you what it is, why it's good, or one single concrete policy that would increase and/or decrease it..

Last edited by Flint (12/18/2020 11:05 pm)

12/19/2020 8:37 am  #17

Soylent green gets a bad rap but isn't it better to eat each other than to be eaten by the rich?

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/19/2020 8:43 am  #18

I'd also like to hear Henry's vision of liberty. So far we know he's free to spread a virus because a mask is an enormous infringement. I'd like to put his vision against the idea of government as a platform for maximizing human potential. This is an actual conversation I'd like to read and maybe even engage in.

12/19/2020 10:30 am  #19

Well, let's hear that great case you're making for Liberty.

I have to actually explain why belongin' to yourself is superior to havin' a leash around your throat?

I have to actually explain why self-direction & -responsibility is superior to bein' directed & taken care of?

yeah, I don't think so...good luck, best wishes, to you & yours

12/19/2020 10:44 am  #20

griff wrote:

I'd also like to hear Henry's vision of liberty. So far we know he's free to spread a virus because a mask is an enormous infringement. I'd like to put his vision against the idea of government as a platform for maximizing human potential. This is an actual conversation I'd like to read and maybe even engage in.

nah, I ain't doin' that, not here, not with you

I've shot my load multiple times on this subject, and related topics, over at the philosophy now forum...what I've learned is, folks don't move...and why should they?

the free man will never accommodate or compromise with the slaver; the slaver will never accommodate or compromise with the free man

there is no middle ground between them

so, no, I won't repeatin' myself here

if anyone has an interest: they can go over to the old cellar and read some of what I wrote there, and -- if anyone wants more -- they can visit the philosophy now forum

hell, here, in this place, I've posted some lil bits in the philosophy section

12/19/2020 12:41 pm  #21

What if the role of the cellar was to read hq's mind?

Be Just And Fear Not

12/19/2020 12:57 pm  #22

Undertoad wrote:

"What if the role of government was to serve people?"

It's a COOKBOOK!!

Actual out loud laughter alone in my home. Thanks, I needed that.

12/19/2020 1:20 pm  #23

A short list of list of potential leashes which government can improve or make worse:

poor health and poor healthcare

toxic environment, food, and water

homelessness

hunger

* hours a week at $7.25 per hour.

poor education

12/19/2020 1:43 pm  #24

government can improve or make worse:

poor health and poor healthcare

toxic environment, food, and water

homelessness

hunger

* hours a week at $7.25 per hour.

poor education

and?

12/19/2020 2:19 pm  #25

There are more and worse leashes in this world than those caused by stable government. A proper government which reflects the values of the citizenry can increase the liberty of the individual.

Board footera