cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/30/2020 8:43 am  #1

Retirement

My wife will officially retire from her job on January 5th which seems odd in that we knew this day would come but the fact that it's here just seems so sudden. She has worked for her company for 24 years and is one of the key employees as she has been around so long and knows their product (software) better than almost everyone there including the programmers.

We used to do a lot of travel for her job, that was kind of cool and we got to go to a lot of other countries but this past year there was no travel due to Covid but also the new owners want to do more work remotely and cut expenses. Sort of like that George Clooney movie, Up In The Air. She has worked from home for 2 years now not going to the office because of Covid didn't really effect her. She turned 70 last August so she has maxed out here social security. She has agreed to do some contract work for them from time to time, I kind of knew she would as she liked the work and she isn't one to sit around all day. We do plan to travel after the virus is more under control. 

As for me I never retired, I just quit working. I guess I will have to get used to her not being on long conference calls all day with clients, I will have to actually make it look like I do stuff here. 

12/30/2020 9:28 am  #2

Re: Retirement

Pete and I have been talking about our retirements here as well. It can be difficult to visualize how we will structure our time. We have realized that staying here will not be helpful for an active retirement, so we've put an offer in on a property up North. Outdoor activities combined with volunteer work and a building project should help us set a healthy pattern.

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

12/30/2020 11:57 am  #3

I was listening to an interview with Isabel Allende who described a surprising reversal in the regular arc of her relationships where the order of friendship and passion and marriage have been upset, principally because at her age, 77, she said, "How many years will I have with my new husband? Five years?".

Thinking about things like that, how many years left, what am I waiting for? Those are questions I have begun to ponder.  Of course, money is an issue, because, money, right?  My net worth is positive at the moment which is good.  And I do projections about my likely cash-out numbers and my likely life expectancy, giving a kind of dollars per year value.  I contemplate the prospect of living on that kind of money.  Of course, all these calculations are rough, to say the least.  But neither extreme is appealing; working long an dying shortly thereafter with a lot of money in the bank (so to speak) or quitting too soon and outliving my money (so to speak).

We've also thought of what we'd like to be doing when we're not punching the clock.  Travel is consistently around the top of the list.  House projects too.  I'm leaving space in my head and heart for grandparent service, but for that I'll need the cooperation of others (so to speak).

Be Just And Fear Not

12/30/2020 11:58 am  #4

Also

HI CHRIS!

I'm really glad to see you here!  

Be Just And Fear Not

12/30/2020 12:47 pm  #5

BigV wrote:

Also

HI CHRIS!

Thanks, I know I don't post too often and when I went to the old site it seemed odd that no one was posting, then I read that there was a new site. So here I am! 

12/30/2020 5:39 pm  #6

Hi Chris!  glad you made it over, I was hoping you would.

griff wrote:

we've put an offer in on a property up North.

YAY! :D

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

12/30/2020 6:26 pm  #7

Hello Chris welcome home.

I Love my country, I fear the government.

12/31/2020 1:46 am  #8

Chrisinhouston wrote:

BigV wrote:

Also

HI CHRIS!

Thanks, I know I don't post too often and when I went to the old site it seemed odd that no one was posting, then I read that there was a new site. So here I am! 

Yeah, but when you do post it's always great shit. Welcome home.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

12/31/2020 7:47 am  #9

monster wrote:

griff wrote:

we've put an offer in on a property up North.

YAY! :D

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

1/05/2021 10:54 am  #10

2 days left until my wife's retirement is official. About a month ago her boss said the company president and the CEO/owner wanted to do something nice for her as a retirement gift, she's been one of their most important employees for the past 24 years. 2 years ago when one of her longtime co-workers retired they gave him an all expenses paid trip to Napa for a 4 day wine tasting tour for him, his wife and another couple. They had one of those limos that picked them up at their hotel each day so it was not inexpensive but my wife had no idea how much the company paid for that. Her boss asked if she wanted a trip and my wife said with Covid right now we had no idea when we might travel or where it would be safe to go. 

So my wife said the one thing we really wanted to do this year was take up the old wall to wall carpet on our ground floor and put in the tile that looks like wood flooring. With a dog and my dust allergies we really think the carpet has to go and where we live, a tile floor is fine year round.  She told her we plan to live here as long as we are able to health wise and the floor would be great to have replaced. Her boss thought it was a great idea said to get some prices so we went to a bunch of tile and flooring places and sent the boss the estimate for the tile we found that we liked. It was around $6800. 

So  yesterday her boss called and said the owner and Pres were giving  her a parting bonus to cover the cost of the floor and they were factoring in enough to pay the income tax that would be on the bonus. Plus they threw in some extra making it a $10K bonus. My wife burst into tears when she told her. I'm pretty jazzed about it but now I have to figure out where we are going to put all this furniture when the do the job! It covers several rooms including our bedroom so we will have a lot to clear and also will need to find a pet friendly hotel nearby as we can't be here when they do the work. 

1/05/2021 11:26 am  #11

Those sound like good problems to have.  Why stay in a nearby hotel?  Take a little trip while they do the work.  Someplace drivable.

1/05/2021 6:50 pm  #12

Congratulations!

Be Just And Fear Not

1/06/2021 11:58 am  #13

fabulous   

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

1/07/2021 7:26 am  #14

Wow! That's great man.

Board footera