cellar2007a
The Cellar: a friendly neighborhood coffee shop, with no coffee and no shop. Established 1990.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/20/2021 3:06 pm  #26

Re: Today I Learned....

I always say "Bud -aka sex on a beach"

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

3/24/2021 5:38 pm  #27

Nefandous.

I would tell you what it means, but it's unspeakable.

The most difficult thing is the decision to act, the rest is merely tenacity  Amelia Earhart

3/24/2021 7:04 pm  #28

I Love my country, I fear the government.

3/25/2021 5:57 am  #29

monster wrote:

Nefandous.

I would tell you what it means, but it's unspeakable.

Hah!

Now stop that.

3/26/2021 7:48 pm  #30

That the software developers for the Boeing 737 Max were from Asia and paid $9 per hour.

"Nothin' seems that weird anymore"

Lo Fidelity Allstars

3/27/2021 6:27 am  #31

346 dead, company reputation shot, but we saved a few bucks. Is this what they mean by late stage capitalism?

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

3/27/2021 7:15 am  #32

I don't know anything about it, but I am skeptical that outsourcing parts of the programming was the problem.  One thing we have learned during this pandemic is that for many information based jobs, your physical location doesn't matter.  If you can work remotely from across town, you can also work remotely from Mumbai at the going wages for Mumbai.  The key for a big organization with tons of people on a team is to have good management to coordinate things.

You look at a company like Tesla, and it sounds like they are getting the programming right.  They somehow manage their teams well in a way that Boeing doesn't.

3/27/2021 6:27 pm  #33

griff wrote:

346 dead, company reputation shot, but we saved a few bucks. Is this what they mean by late stage capitalism?

Sounds about right.

Lo Fidelity Allstars

3/27/2021 6:31 pm  #34

glatt wrote:

I don't know anything about it, but I am skeptical that outsourcing parts of the programming was the problem.  One thing we have learned during this pandemic is that for many information based jobs, your physical location doesn't matter.  If you can work remotely from across town, you can also work remotely from Mumbai at the going wages for Mumbai.  The key for a big organization with tons of people on a team is to have good management to coordinate things.

You look at a company like Tesla, and it sounds like they are getting the programming right.  They somehow manage their teams well in a way that Boeing doesn't.

As I understand it, the planes fell out of the sky due to faulty software. If Boeing had had a professional well-paid and motivated in-house team where they could properly monitor quality control and liaise with the aeronautical engineers maybe those tragedies wouldn't have happened.

Lo Fidelity Allstars

4/03/2021 9:58 am  #35

Sid Meier was raised in Michigan and graduated from U of M. 

Yes I only just got round to starting Clodfobble's book.  Yes it's due back at the library on Monday and I can't renew it because someone else wants it......

4/03/2021 5:59 pm  #36

His son did, too! Sid has also gone back a few times post-fame and participated in game jams for students in the computer science department.

4/03/2021 6:07 pm  #37

sweet!

4/06/2021 12:42 am  #38

U of M? Is that Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, or Montana... asking for a friend.

Freedom is just another word for nothin' left to lose.

4/06/2021 5:53 am  #39

Michigan

If you would only recognize that life is hard, things would be so much easier for you. - Louis Brandeis

4/06/2021 5:39 pm  #40

Sorry I thought that followed because the state had already been mentioned.

4/06/2021 8:57 pm  #41

U Mama followed...

Hey! That's me up there!

4/06/2021 10:06 pm  #42

...through?

4/12/2021 10:25 pm  #43

TIL about the Open Arse Fruit.  And what "Bletting" is

4/13/2021 6:03 am  #44

TIL that. Neat.

4/13/2021 10:56 am  #45

Nearly lost, newly found.  Cool!

4/14/2021 8:04 pm  #46

Not sure that's the peg matching the hole in my under ... standing.  Or sitting.

Be Just And Fear Not

5/21/2021 8:36 pm  #47

TIL learned about the Camp Zachary Taylor Neighborhood in Louisville, KY.  ​I drove through it/got lost in it on a beer run from my hotel and was intrigued by the unusual name, the entrance under a railway rack, the odd street layout, and the tiny houses that are so clearly a matter of pride, well maintained and loved.  It seems a lovely little neighborhood strangely tucked into a little corner by a massive interstate interchange and the airport

Turns out it's built on the site of an old military training camp.

5/22/2021 5:40 am  #48

TIL that

5/22/2021 8:30 am  #49

There are still a couple of villages based on the pre-fabricated temporary accommodation of military camps in the UK somewhere I believe. Paging Carruthers!! He'll know!

Living life on the edge.

5/22/2021 12:13 pm  #50

Limey wrote:

There are still a couple of villages based on the pre-fabricated temporary accommodation of military camps in the UK somewhere I believe. Paging Carruthers!! He'll know!

I think there are only a few original buildings, but the snaking main street abd the side roads named for states and generals are from the camp days

Board footera